The Online Learning Academy (OLA) provides tutoring and mentorship to students in underrepresented groups to promote higher education. To succeed in college, students must be academically ready. OLA provides one-on-one English, Math, and Science tutoring by college tutors for all SEED programs. We offer tutoring in the following subjects: basic math, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, environmental science, writing, language arts, and introductory college level biology, chemistry, and physics.
The Online Learning Academy strives to deliver high-quality, engaging and academically rich tutoring and college readiness programs, providing students opportunities for academic development, success and goal completion. Through mentorship and partnership with GEAR-UP and Talent Search programs, we combine efforts in creating ways of reaching students to 1) increase academic success, 2) build college aspirations, and 3) help close the educational gap among groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education by providing program-specific tutoring. We strive to advance our priorities by employing exceptional tutors and peer mentors.
OLA is currently involved in critical high school to college student readiness and preparation efforts between Hawaii DOE, UH System campuses, and GEAR UP/P20, including:
- Working with community college instructors across multiple campuses to implement NROC’s EdReady as an effective self study, remediation, and placement tool in math and English
- Helping early college programs across multiple DOE campuses to use EdReady to ensure that students are fully prepared to maximize their efforts in early college courses
- Partnering with Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs both in the DOE and UH System to make sure that students have adequate preparation in math and English for their specific technical career paths
- Building a partnership with Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) organizations to support students in order to improve the percentage of students who matriculate through the “pipeline” successfully into STEM careers
Our Work at a Glance
Math & Science Tutoring Sessions
- HI DOE K-12 71% 71%
- UH Community Colleges 19% 19%
- UH Mānoa, West Oahu, Hilo 9% 9%
- Other 1% 1%
Writing Tutoring Sessions
- Undergraduate 54% 54%
- Graduate 26% 26%
- High School 15% 15%
- Elementary & Middle School 5% 5%
© All text Copyright 2022, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Online Learning Academy.