3190 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-7058
Fax: (808) 956-3894
Professor/Extension Specialist Molecular Ecology/Biotechnology
Invasive species; Molecular phylogenetic; Population Genetics; Transgenic crops; Biotechnology; K-12 STEM education
B.S., Cum Laude, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 1994; Ph.D., University of the Western Cape, South Africa, 1999
- Tran,C., Wieczorek,A.M., and Morden, C.W. 2015. "Genetic Structure and Diversity of a Rare Hawaiian Endemic, Lobelia villosa (Campanulaceae: Lobelioideae)." Pacific Science 69: 355-366
- Vorsino, A. E., Wieczorek, A. M., Wright, W. G., & Messing, R. H. 2014. "Genetic analysis of an introduced biological control agent reveals temporal and geographic change, with little evidence of a host mediated shift". Biological Control 77: 41-50.
- Lehman, A., Pender, R., Morden, C, and Wieczorek, A. 2014. "Assessment of the persistence of hybrids between alien pima cotton, Gossypium barbadense (Malvaceae) and endemic Hawaiian cotton, G. tomentosum in Hawaiâ€™I". Pacific Science 68: 85-96.
- Knope ML, Pender RJ, Crawford DJ, Wieczorek AM. 2013. "Invasive congeners are unlikely to hybridize with native Hawaiian Bidens (Asteraceae)". American Journal of Botany100, 1221-1226.
- Vorsino, A.E., Wieczorek, A. M., Wright, W. G., & Messing, R. H. 2012. "Using evolutionary tools to facilitate the prediction and prevention of host-based differentiation in biological control: a review and perspective". Annals of Applied Biology 160, 204-216.
- Hardesty B.D., Le Roux, J.J., Rocha, O.J., Meyer, J-Y, Westcott, D. and Wieczorek, A.M. 2012. "Getting here from there: testing the paradigm of invasion success". Diversity and Distributions. 18:147-157.
- Wieczorek, A. M. & Wright, M. G. 2012. "History of Agricultural Biotechnology: How Crop Development has Evolved". Nature Education Knowledge 3(3). (Invited paper)
- Vorsino, A.E., Wieczorek, A. M., Wright, W. G., & Messing, R. H. 2012. "An analysis of heterosis and outbreeding depression among lab-reared populations of the parasitoid Diachasmimorpha tryoni (Cameron) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae); potential implications for augmentative release". Biological Control61: 26-31.
- Dunbar-Co, S. Wieczorek, A.M. 2011. "Genetic structure among the most derived populations in the endemic Hawaiian Plantago lineage: insights from micro satellite variation". Plant Species Biology26: 125-192.
- Andris, M., (multiple contributors in alphabetic order deleted for sake of brevity) Vorsino, A., Vossbrinck, C.R., Walzer, C., White, J. C., Wieczorek, A. and Wright, M. 2010. Permanent Genetic Resources added to Molecular Ecology Resources. Molecular Ecology Resources 10: 1106-1108.
My research uses molecular techniques to address applied agricultural and ecological problems, especially invasive plant species. I also work on evolution of introduced species, using population genetics methods. I have experience in agricultural and social interactions surrounding GE crops, as well as biological questions related to systematics and conservation of plant- and animals species.