Question: I am not an eligible faculty member. Can I still apply for Faculty Mentoring Grants for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Works?

Answer: If you are not eligible faculty, you may consider partnering with an eligible faculty member to submit a proposal on your behalf. The eligible faculty member does not have to be a member of your department.

If you choose to partner with an eligible faculty member to submit a proposal, it is critical that you understand the following:

• Funds will be distributed to the eligible faculty member, and not yourself. Make sure you select an individual who is willing to work with you to spend the funds as designated in the proposal. This individual must also be willing to be held responsible if any issues arise (e.g. overspending).
• In the Applicant Information section of the application, list all relevant information for both you and your eligible faculty mentor partner.
• You may write the proposal, as long as the eligible faculty submits. Make it very clear that you will be the primary mentor. Detail the role that both you and the eligible member will play.

Question: I am not an eligible faculty member. Can my student mentee still participate in SURE?

Answer: If you are mentoring a student who wishes to participate in SURE, you do not need to be an eligible faculty mentor. SURE is open to all UHM students conducting research and creative works, as well as non-UHM students conducting research and creative works under the mentorship of UHM faculty. “Eligible” refers specifically to faculty mentors seeking UROP funds.


Question: Will UROP reverse funds not spent by the end of summer?

Answer: The funds, once distributed to your RTRF account, do not “expire.” UROP will not monitor when funds are spent. We strongly encourage you to spend all the funds during the summer, however, as the funds are intended to facilitate summer research and creative works. A competitive proposal will describe how funds will be used to support the student’s summer project (even if the project will not be completed by that time). If you seek funds during the academic year, we encourage students to apply for project and presentation funding.

Question: How do I pay students?

Answer: It is up to you, the faculty mentor, and your department’s fiscal officer to decide how to administer the funds the student. UROP distributes the RFP funds to faculty via an RTRF account, but does not facilitate distribution of funds to students.

You may choose to pay students using one of the following methods, or another method available to you:

  • Hourly wage: We recommend using SECE for payroll, in which case you must adhere to campus-based employment policies regarding standard pay scale, maximum hours the student is allowed to work, enrollment status, etc. You can visit the SECE resources page to learn more, or contact the Career Center directly. It is up to the faculty mentor to determine what an appropriate pay rate is for the student. Your department may also opt to use a different payroll system, if it has one.
  • Lump sum payment: You and your mentor should consult your fiscal officer regarding tax implications and distribution mechanisms.

Question: How are the Faculty Mentoring Grants for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Works different than UROP project and presentation funding?

Answer: The funds differ in several ways:

  • Faculty Mentoring Grants for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Works: These grants will be given to UHM faculty with strong summer mentorship plans. They are intended to help faculty directly support undergraduate student mentees doing research and creative work during the summer. Eligible faculty include (a) Tenured/tenure-track faculty at UHM and/or (b) Faculty classified by the UHM Graduate Division as Regular or Cooperating Graduate Faculty at any level (1-3). The application period is from March 5 – April 7.
  • UROP Project and Presentation Funding: UROP provides project and presentation funding specifically for undergraduate students doing faculty-mentored research and creative works. Undergraduate students apply directly to UROP for these funds. They must also work with an eligible mentor to apply for funds. Visit the project and presentation funding pages to learn more.


Question: Do I and my student mentee have to finish the project by the end of summer?

Answer: You do not have to complete the entire project by the end of summer, as many projects take much longer than that. Your student mentee should, however, be working on some component of the project during the summer. The funds are meant to facilitate research/creative work activity specifically during the summer.

Back To Top