*** The Request for Proposals for the 2020 Faculty Mentoring Grants for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Works is now open! The deadline to apply is Monday, March 2 at 9:00 am.***
Request for Proposals
UROP is committed to promoting and expanding research and creative work opportunities for undergraduate students across campus. To increase undergraduate student participation in these opportunities during the summer, UROP is awarding $75,000 in Faculty Mentoring Grants. These grants will be awarded to University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) faculty who will mentor UHM undergraduate students conducting research and creative work projects in Summer 2020.
Eligible applicants include UHM faculty who meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Classified by the UHM Graduate Division as Regular or Cooperating Graduate Faculty at any level (1-3)
- Currently ineligible faculty may: (i) partner with an eligible faculty member to submit a joint proposal; the eligible member must submit the proposal, and will receive the grant funds if successful; or, (ii) complete a Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition; the Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition must be submitted to UROP at least two weeks prior to the submission of a Faculty Mentoring Grant proposal in order to ensure timely consideration of the Petition.
 Granting of faculty mentor eligibility is not guaranteed. Applicants who choose to petition for eligibility in lieu of partnering with an eligible UHM faculty member and are not ultimately granted eligibility will not be considered for the Faculty Mentoring Grant.
 Faculty Mentoring Grant funds will not be disbursed to successful applicants until eligibility is granted.
Faculty across all disciplines at UHM may apply for up to $5,000 per undergraduate student mentee, for up to 3 mentees, or a maximum of $15,000 for 3 or more mentees. All funds are to be used to directly support the undergraduate student’s project in Summer 2020.
Eligible undergraduate mentees include UHM undergraduate students who have not graduated before the end of Summer 2020, and who will not be concurrently funded with UROP Project Funding in Summer 2020. Faculty should work with their unit’s human resources representative on options for hiring undergraduate students with grant funds.
Acceptable expenditures include:
- Materials and supplies
- Travel costs for students
- Student wages
Non-allowable expenditures include:
- Faculty summer salary
- Student tuition
- Any expenses not directly related to the student’s project
Successful applicants will demonstrate a clear student recruitment plan and a strong mentorship plan. Applicants should clearly describe the proposed student project as well as the timeline and associated activities. Proposals must include a justified budget clearly demonstrating how funds will be used to directly support the student’s project. Preference will be given to:
- Applicants whose student mentees will participate in the Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program, a cohort-based program that will run from June 5 – July 31, with professional development modules once every ~2 weeks and the SURE Symposium at the East-West Center on July 31, 2020.
- Applicants who demonstrate leveraging other funds
Submission and Review
The deadline to submit a proposal is March 2, 2019 at 9:00 am. Proposals will be reviewed by a 3-4 member panel of faculty and UROP staff from a variety of disciplines. Applicants will be notified of funding decisions by late March 2020. Funds will be distributed to successful faculty applicants as a RTRF account, and faculty will have until August 31, 2020 to expend all funds.
Instructions to Apply
Note: In the InfoReady application portal, you may save the application as a draft and continue at a later time. Please check the “terms and conditions” box to enable to “Save as Draft” button.