The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition allows University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa (UHM) faculty affiliates who do not meet current eligibility requirements (i.e., tenured/tenure-track faculty at UHM or Regular/Cooperating Graduate Faculty at any level classified by the UHM Graduate Division) to serve as an official faculty mentor for UHM students funded by UROP, including Summer Faculty Mentoring Grants. Once a faculty petition is granted, that faculty will be eligible to serve as an official mentor for UROP-funded students as long as the faculty maintains UHM affiliation, or until further notification from the UROP.
Petitioner must be an official UHM faculty affiliate who otherwise does not meet UROP mentor eligibility requirements (see above). UROP will review all petitioner’s official UHM affiliation with the UHM Office of Human Resources.
Petitions, including support documentation from the official UHM supervisor, are due at least two weeks prior to submitting any of the following documents to UROP:
- Project Mentor Form
- Presentation Recommendation Form
- Application for Faculty Mentoring Grants for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Works
- Abbreviated curriculum vitae from the past 5 years including: (i) the petitioner’s official UHM affiliation and appointment period, and (ii) a summary of publications, research support, and mentoring (high school, undergraduate and graduate mentoring)
- A statement of interest in mentoring UHM undergraduate students on research or creative work projects, including a description of the faculty’s mentoring philosophy (300-word limit)
- Documentation of support from the petitioner’s official UHM supervisor (i.e., a letter or email from the petitioner’s Department Chair or official supervisor at UHM)
Submit all required materials to UROP using the InfoReady Review portal.
A 3-member UROC review committee will evaluate Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petitions. Petition results will be delivered via email to the faculty making the petition and their official UHM supervisor within one month of petition submission.