I am not an eligible faculty member. Can I still apply for the Faculty Mentoring Grant for Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Work?
Currently ineligible faculty may: (i) partner with an eligible faculty member to submit a joint proposal; the eligible member must submit the proposal, and will receive the grant funds if successful; or, (ii) complete a Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition; the Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition must be submitted to UROP at least two weeks prior to the submission of a Faculty Mentoring Grant proposal in order to ensure timely consideration of the Petition.
If you choose to partner with an eligible faculty member to submit a proposal, it is critical that you understand the following:
- Funds will be distributed to the eligible faculty member, and not yourself. Make sure you select an individual who is willing to work with you to spend the funds as designated in the proposal. This individual must also be willing to be held responsible if any issues arise (e.g. overspending).
- The eligible faculty member must submit the proposal. Provide names and contact information for both the eligible faculty member and the ineligible faculty member.
If you choose to submit a Faculty Mentor Eligibility Petition, it is critical that you understand the following:
- Granting of faculty mentor eligibility is not guaranteed. Applicants who choose to petition for eligibility in lieu of partnering with an eligible UHM faculty member and are not ultimately granted eligibility will not be considered for the Faculty Mentoring Grant.
- Faculty Mentoring Grant funds will not be disbursed to successful applicants until eligibility is granted.
I am not an eligible faculty member. Can my student mentee still participate in SURE?
Faculty mentor eligibility is not required for UHM undergraduate students to participate in SURE. Eligibility requirements refer only to faculty applying for Faculty Mentoring Grant funds, or faculty mentoring students who are applying for UROP Project and Presentation funding. Undergraduate students may participate in SURE if they are:
- A UHM student conducting research or creative work in the summer with a UHM or a non-UHM mentor
- A non-UHM student conducting research or creative work under the mentorship of UHM faculty member