Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is the Mānoa Service Award?

The Mānoa Service Award is a scholarship for undergraduate students at UH Mānoa. In return for receiving tuition assistance, students must do community service hours. For the 2019-2020 academic year, the award amount will be $1,000 per semester. For each semester that you are awarded the scholarship, you must complete 50 hours of volunteer service.

2) Am I eligible?

To be eligible for the Mānoa Service Award scholarship you must:

  • Be pursuing an undergraduate degree at UH Mānoa
  • Be at least a sophomore and enrolled full-time
  • Demonstrate financial need and be declared eligible by the Financial Aid Office
  • Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0
  • Be willing and able to complete the required amount of hours (50 hours/semester)

3) How many hours do I have to serve?

You have to complete 50 hours of volunteer service per semester.

4) How much money do I receive once I am awarded the scholarship?

For the 2019-2020 academic year the award amount will be $1,000 per semester.

5) How do I enroll in the program?

After applying for financial aid—if you are deemed eligible for the award—you will be invited to attend a mandatory orientation session to enroll in the program.

6) Where can I do my volunteer service?

You may choose where you serve, as long as it is a non-profit or government organization in Hawai'i. The Office of Civic and Community Engagement maintains a database of organizations that have volunteer programs. We also maintain a Facebook and an Instagram page where we regularly post information about opportunities.

7) I am an education, social work, dental hygiene, nursing (etc.) major, may I count my student teaching/practicum/clinicals towards my hours?

Yes, as long as you are not being paid for the work you perform and you are serving at a non-profit or government site, your hours will be counted.

8) If I am from a neighbor island, can I complete my service in my home community?

You may volunteer in your home community as long as it is a non-profit organization operating in the State of Hawai'i. We will also accept service performed at for-profit hospitals. We will not accept hours performed in other states or countries. If you are unsure whether your site is an allowable site, please call (808) 956-4641.

9) What happens if I run out of time and am not able to complete my 50 hours?

Your service should be completed within the semester you receive the award. We will not accept partial completions. In rare cases we may make exceptions. If you do not think you can complete your service, you should contact our office as soon as possible.

10) What if I complete more than 50 hours?

If you have completed more than 50 hours in the fall semester, you may apply those hours in excess of 50 hours to the spring semester as long as you are approved to receive the award in the spring. This does not apply to excess hours served in the spring semester—spring hours may not be carried over to the fall.

11) I'll be carrying the equivalent of a full-time course load, but at two UH campuses. Will I be able to receive the Mānoa Service Award?

No. You must be a full-time student at UH Mānoa.

12) If I plan on going on an international student exchange and am enrolled at UH Mānoa as a full-time student, will I be able to receive the Mānoa Service Award?

It depends on whether you will be able to meet your service requirement within the time allowed. Don’t forget that your service has to be performed in Hawai'i.

13) What happens if I decide I don't want to continue with my Mānoa Service Award?

If you have already accepted the award, please notify the Office of Civic and Community Engagement in writing and we will notify the Office of Financial Aid. If your award is declined or cancelled, the amount of your award will be debited from your myUH account.

14) Can I volunteer over the breaks and use those hours toward my service?

We will accept hours served over the winter and spring breaks. We will accept service logged in August toward your fall hours, but not for the months of June or July.

15) If I receive the Mānoa Service Award this fall, will I automatically receive the award the following semester?

Not necessarily. In order to receive the Mānoa Service Award, you must meet the eligibility criteria for each semester you are awarded. Also, if you did not successfully meet the obligations of your award in any previous semesters, you may not continue to receive the award.

16) My major requires me to perform 50 hours as an intern before I graduate, would I be able to count those hours toward my Mānoa Service Award?

As long as your internship is with a non-profit or government organization and is unpaid, we would accept the hours. If you are performing clinic hours through your UH department, please check to make sure the clinic supervisor is willing to sign off on your service logs.

17) If I have a scholarship that requires me to volunteer, would I be able to count those hours?

Yes, we would accept those hours.

18) My friend wants to recieve the Mānoa Service Award, how can he apply?

To be considered for the Mānoa Service Award, your friend would need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the award criteria for the award. The Office of Civic and Community Engagement will notify students of their eligibility.

19) Whom do I contact if I have questions?

Liane Akana, Program Coordinator
Office of Civic and Community Engagement
Queen Liliuokalani Center for Student Services Room 209
Phone: 956-4641