1) What are my tasks going to be as an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve at a community organization all around the United States to alleviate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members work on projects that build the capacity their organization. Those projects cover a wide variety of topics. Some of them are:
- Developing outreach and marketing campaigns
- Building a social media presence
- Creating a program database
- Writing grants
- Managing a program in its first year
- Recruiting volunteers.
AmeriCorps VISTA members work full time (40 hours/week) for one full year.
2) How can I apply to AmeriCorps VISTA?
3) Where do AmeriCorps VISTA members serve?
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve in every US state as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
4) Can I choose where I want to do my service?
Yes. When you apply for AmeriCorps VISTA you apply for a specific position of your choosing. Thus, you select where you will do your service and what organization/community you will be working with.
5) Who can apply to AmeriCorps VISTA?
Applicants need to be at least 18 years old when they start their AmeriCorps service. There is no upper age limit. Further, applicants must have one of the following citizenship statuses:
- U.S. Citizens
- U.S. Nationals
- Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens
- Persons legally residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications:
- Asylum or asylee
- Temporary protected status or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
Some AmeriCorps VISTA positions may have additional requirements on top of general program requirements such as a college degree, specific experience/classes, languages etc.
6) How long does it take to finish the application?
It takes about two hours to complete the application.
7) What does the application include?
In order to apply you first need to create a profile including your basic demographic information. The actual application consists of your work and community service history, motivational statement, and two references.
8) When should I start applying to AmeriCorps VISTA?
Positions are posted year-round, so you can search for opportunities at any time. The best time to apply is approximately four month before your anticipated start date.