skip to Main Content

Scholarships From SPAS

Graduate Study

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships

Degree-seeking full-time students combining modern language training and area or professional studies may be eligible.

UH Foundation Scholarships

Area Centers and degree programs have UH Foundation scholarships available to their students. For details, visit Center/Program sites: Asian Studies, Centers for Chinese Studies, Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Pacific Islands Studies, Philippine Studies, South Asian Studies, and Southeast Asian Studies.

Please also visit the main website for student scholarships at the University of Hawai‘i.

Tuition Scholarships (Waivers)

Each degree program has a limited number of merit-based tuition scholarships for degree-seeking students. Contact chair, or check the program web site.

TAships, GAships

A graduate degree program often offers TA/GA positions to degree-seeking graduate students. Ask chair, or check your program site.

Undergraduate Study

King David Kalakaua Scholarships

A limited number of tuition scholarships for undergraduate students with a 3.5 GPA. Applicants must be studying in a major or well-designed program related to the Pacific and/or Asia regions. Apply at SPAS fellowships office.

Tuition Scholarships (Waivers)

Each undergraduate degree program offers a limited number of merit-based tuition scholarships for degree-seeking students. Ask your academic advisor or chair.

Asian Studies Scholarships

Visit the Asian Studies undergraduate website.

Scholarships From Elsewhere

UH Financial Aid and Scholarships Offices

Financial Aid Office administers need-based grants and loans.

UH Foundation administers more than 1,500 student scholarship accounts. The web site may assist your scholarship search.

SEED (Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity) Office offers various graduate and undergraduate scholarships.

The Office of Graduate Education posts general information on Teaching or Graduate Assistantships and tuition waivers.

International Student Office handles tuition reduction programs for international students.

Outside Funding Sources

The East-West Center offers East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships.

The Hawaii Community Foundation handles various undergraduate and graduate scholarships.

Study Abroad

The Institute of International Education (IIE) administers Boren Scholarships and Fellowships, the Fulbright Program, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program and other programs.

The Blakemore Foundation offers Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study Grant.

The Rotary Foundation offers Ambassadorial Scholarships for undergraduate students.

Back To Top