CH 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve

You must request certification for each semester you intend to use your benefits.

Check your email on a regular basis for any correspondence from the Registrar’s office ( while using benefits.

STEP 1: Receive Advising and Register in STAR GPS

 You must first meet with your academic advisor, register according to your STAR GPS time assignment, and finalize your courses before you request benefits.

Courses used toward VA education benefits must be applicable toward your current major or degree program. The VA will only pay for courses that you earn credits for, are required, and will count toward your degree requirements. The VA does not allow certification for courses that are highly recommended or optional.

Need help with selecting courses?

STEP 2: Tuition & Fees Payment or Financial Aid

You must make a payment toward tuition & fees or receive a financial aid award before your courses can be certified to the VA. You are responsible for your own tuition & fees by the payment deadline or your courses may be cancelled for non-payment.

Notify the Office of the Registrar if you are receiving Tuition Assistance (TA). The SCO cannot certify any course to the VA under CH 1606 GI Bill benefits if you are receiving TA for the course.

STEP 3: Request Certification

Complete the Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form (PDF) with your academic advisor. Submit your form to the Office of the Registrar as early as possible to ensure timely certification and receipt of benefits. When your form is received, we will only certify courses in which you are currently enrolled.

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified Students only:

Submit an official memo from the Department of your intended program which lists the specific courses you are taking each semester, along with a verification of their applicability towards your intended degree (i.e., course XXX meets a prerequisite for admission, course XXX meets a degree requirement). The memo must be signed the Department Chair. You can only use VA benefits as a Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified student for two terms. The VA considers course enrollment with the same start and end dates as one term. Once you are admitted to a program, you will need to complete a Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form.

STEP 4: Add/Drop Classes

You are responsible for notifying the Office of the Registrar promptly if you have added or dropped a class used for certification by completing a VA Add/Drop Form (PDF).

Please be aware of the registration (Add or Drop) and refund (100% refund and 50% refund) deadlines on the Academic Calendar.

What to Expect After Certification

Here’s what to expect after your course registration is certified:

  • Email: You will receive a confirmation email from VA-ONCE to your email account when your course registration is electronically certified. The email will indicate the number of credits certified at UH Mānoa only. If you requested certification for courses at another school, you will receive a separate confirmation email.
  • Educational Assistance Allowance: Once your course registration is certified by the VA Certifying Official, applicants should wait approximately six to eight weeks for the VA to process and send your first payment. The VA generally pays you on or after the first of each month following the month for which payment is due. This system is called “post-payment.” If you have any questions about your VA payments, contact the VA Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.
  • Verify Your Enrollment: You must verify your enrollment with the VA each month either by phone at 877-838-2778 or on the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).