We have been discussing better ways to coordinate and collaborate across the health sciences at UHM for many years, if not decades, and the challenges of the pandemic only reinforced the importance of this work. While the pandemic has forced us to collaborate in ways that forwarded our goals, more can be done. To that end and as part the second phase of our post-pandemic planning, the Health Sciences Steering Committee is charged with identifying opportunities and challenges, and proposing an appropriate structure to leverage and build on our strengths in health sciences research, education, and extension for the state and beyond.
Steering Committee Members:
- Walter Bowen, Interim Associate Dean, CTAHR
- Lee Buenconsejo-Lum, Associate Dean, JABSOM
- Elizabeth Char, Director, Hawai‘i State Department of Health
- Jill Hoggard Green, President and CEO, Queen’s Health Systems
- Loic Le Marchand, Interim Director, UH Cancer Center
- Judy Lemus, Interim Associate Dean, SOEST
- Miriam Mobley-Smith, Interim Dean, College of Pharmacy, UH Hilo
- Tetine Sentell, Interim Dean, Thompson School of Social Work & Public Health
- Alison Sherwood, Interim Associate Dean, College of Natural Sciences
- Raymond Vara, President and CEO, Hawai‘i Pacific Health
- Lorrie Wong, Interim Associate Dean, NAWSON
The steering committee began its work in the spring of 2022. As its first task, members discussed the history, successes, and challenges of coordination in the health sciences across campus, and opportunities to leverage our strengths. The UHM representatives offered brief unit snapshots of their academic programs, research and extension highlights, and existing collaborations in the health sciences. The presenters closed by addressing: What does better coordination across the health sciences mean to you? In what ways could your unit benefit? In what ways could your unit contribute? You may view these presentations below.
- JABSOM: Dr. Lee Buenconsejo-Lum, Associate Dean
- SOEST: Dr. Judy Lemus, Interim Associate Dean
- UH Cancer Center: Dr. Joe Ramos, Interim Director
- Thompson School of Social Work & Public Health: Dr. Tetine Sentell, Interim Dean
- College of Natural Sciences: Dr. Alison Sherwood, Interim Associate Dean
- CTAHR: Dr. Ania Wieczorek, Interim Dean
- NAWSON: Dr. Lorrie Wong, Interim Associate Dean
- UH Hilo College of Pharmacy: Dr. Miriam Mobley-Smith, Interim Dean
Our external committee members (Dr. Jill Hoggard Green from Queen’s Health System and Mr. Ray Vara from Hawai‘i Pacific Health) responded to the presentations and provided their thoughts on the needs of the state and opportunities to work together. These may be viewed below.
- Queen’s Health System: Dr. Jill Hoggard Green, President & CEO
- Hawai‘i Pacific Health: Mr. Ray Vara, President & CEO
Over the next few meetings, members will examine examples of health sciences coordination at peer and benchmark institutions.