skip to Main Content

Prepare for Registration

Browse Mānoa Courses

  • The latest information will be found here at Class Availability (click ‘Details’ for brief course descriptions and prerequisites as well as contact information for instructors).
  • Class Availability will be updated in April prior for Fall semester courses and October prior for Spring semester courses.

Learn How to Register

  • All UHM students register for classes online through the UHM student portal, MyUH.
  • Click on “STAR GPS Registration” and log in with your UH username and password to begin the registration process.
  • Study the UHM Registration Guide for more detailed registration instructions.

Know When to Register

  • Check the Registration Timetable to see when newly accepted students may register online.
  • Students who have not begun to register online before the first day of classes will be required to pay a late registration fee. Any late fees due must be paid by the payment receipt deadline.
  • Exchange students who begin registration online before their arrival at UHM must be sure to arrive in the U.S. at least one week before classes begin to allow enough time to pass the Tuberculosis (TB) test at the University Health Services Center on campus. TB testing and results evaluation takes a minimum of 48 hours. Until TB clearance is granted, you will have a ‘hold’ on your student account preventing any registration activity.

Tuition & Fees

Exchange students who have been nominated from a university that has a formal reciprocal Student Exchange Agreement with UHM are exempt from paying UHM tuition and student fees only. ‘Course Fees‘ which are associated with only particular courses and cover additional supplies, lab equipment, etc., are NOT included in the exchange exemption and will be the responsibility of the student. See here for a detailed explanation of Course Fees and a listing of courses that have these fees associated with them.

Hoakipa Scholarship students are responsible for paying non-resident UHM tuition, less a 15% scholarship, plus all fees. Independent students from non-partner universities are responsible for paying regular non-resident tuition and fees. All charges on the student account should be paid by the published deadline and can be paid online in MyUH or at the UHM Cashier’s Office located in QLC 105.

All exchange students are responsible for paying their own travel, personal, and living expenses. Students living on-campus can pay their housing charges online in MyUH or at the UHM Cashier’s Office located in QLC 105.

Courses, Credits, Restrictions

Course Numbering System

  • Undergraduate courses are numbered 100 – 499.
  • Graduate courses are numbered 500-800.
  • Find more details at Course Numbering System.

Course Load

  • The minimum course load for undergraduate students is 12 credits; the maximum is 19 credits.
  • The minimum course load for graduate students is 8 credits; the maximum is 16 credits.
  • Most courses are 3 credits each.

Course Descriptions, Prerequisites, Restrictions

Refer to the UHM Catalog for brief course descriptions and prerequisite requirements (note that classes listed in the UHM Catalog are not offered every semester). The Class Availability website shows courses being offered in a particular semester and will also indicate any course restrictions, prerequisites, etc.

If you want to register for a UHM course that has prerequisites or a restriction, a course override will be needed in order to register for the course online. You can generally request an override either from the academic advisor in the department offering the course or the course instructor (except for Shidler College of Business and Travel Industry Management courses).


If a class you want to take is full, you may have the option to add yourself to a waitlist. If you are on the waitlist and a space in the class becomes available for you, you will be notified via email (at your email address) and given a deadline to register for the class. If you miss the deadline, your seat will be given to the next person on the waitlist. More information about registration waitlists.

Online Courses

A few online courses are offered at UHM. F-1 and J-1 students may enroll in online classes. But online class enrollment has certain restrictions that affect full-time enrollment requirements and student visa status in the U.S.

  • F-1 students may take a maximum of 3 online credit hours (usually 1 course) per semester to meet the minimum full-time enrollment requirement
  • J-1 students may not apply any online credit hours to meeting the minimum full-time enrollment requirement. Therefore, a J-1 student must first meet the minimum enrollment requirement with in-class credit hours before enrolling in any additional online classes
  • Questions? See a more detailed explanation here and please discuss with a MIX staff member.

Restricted Courses

Inbound exchange students are restricted from taking courses in Medicine, Law, Nursing, and Dental Hygiene. Graduate exchange students who want to take graduate level UHM courses in Second Language Studies (SLS) should have a TOEFL score of 100+. Students who want to take Business courses should already have a good foundation in business at their home university and a solid command of the English language, as normally demonstrated by a TOEFL score of 80+ (550+) or IELTS 6.5+.

Get a UH ID Card

After you have registered for at least one course at UHM, you are eligible to receive your UHM Identification Card. Get your ID Card at 212 Campus Center. All students must have their ID Card validated in order to get a bus pass or check out books from the library. Students who owe tuition or fees must pay their balance in full before their ID Card can be validated.

Back To Top