skip to Main Content

Health Insurance

The University of Hawai’i at Mānoa requires international students to have sufficient health insurance coverage throughout their program of study. Students can enroll in the UH Student Plan, which is endorsed by the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, or provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan that provides the required minimum coverage. More details on both options are provided below. You are also recommended to review the International Student Services FAQ on Health Insurance.

How health insurance works in the U.S.

Health insurance helps to cover doctor, hospital, and medical expenses if you are injured or become sick while studying in the United States. Many doctors and hospitals will not be able to provide you with care unless you provide evidence of health insurance. In other words, health insurance provides financial protection against unexpected health-related expenses and ensures that you receive timely access to medical care. For more details on how this works, we encourage you to watch this helpful informational video from International Student Insurance, which is offered in 9 languages (by click on the “CC” icon in the video). Please note that this company is not endorsed or recommended by UHM or MIX and the video is only being provided for educational purposes.

Purchasing an insurance plan

UH Student Plan: 

International students are eligible to enroll in the UH Student Plan, which is offered through The Hawaiʻi Medical Service Association (HMSA). Information about the insurance benefits, premiums, and the application form are available on HMSA‘s Student Health Plan website. Note: If you choose to purchase the UH Student Plan, you must purchase Option #2 or #4, as these plans offer medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, which is required by the University of Hawai’i.

Other health insurance plans:

If you decide not to enroll in the UH Student Plan, you must choose a health insurance plan that offers the following minimum levels of coverage required by the University of Hawai’i. 

IMPORTANT: Do not purchase a plan until you are certain that the plan meets the minimum requirements of University of Hawai’i as well as your own individual needs. 

Type of Coverage Specific level of coverage required by UH
Comprehensive medical coverage At least USD $100,000 per accident or illness
Inpatient/outpatient medical & mental health coverage No less than 75% of usual/customary charge (UCC)
Repatriation (of remains) coverage to your home country At least USD $25,000
Medical evacuation coverage to your home country At least USD $50,000
Deductible per accident or illness At most USD $500
Waiting period for pre-existing conditions No longer than 6 months
  • May include a provision for co-insurance, but, if included, must pay at least 75% of covered medical expenses.

Below is a list of plans that may meet the requirements.  Please note that MIX does not endorse or recommend any specific plan and cannot review plans on behalf of students

You may also purchase other health insurance plans, including those from your home country, as long as those plans offer at least the minimum level of coverage required by the University of Hawai’i. If you decide to go with an external provider, please have the health insurance provider complete the F-1 Student Health Insurance Student Acknowledgement  & Insurance Provider Certification Form. This will certify that your plan meets the level of coverage required by the University of Hawai’i. Please note that the provider is not permitted to modify the form or omit any required information, otherwise the form will not be accepted. 

What to do after purchasing an insurance plan

Submit evidence of coverage to the Student Health Insurance Office (SHIO). Please visit SHIO’s page on How to Receive Insurance Clearance for more details on the process. You will be notified within 1-3 business days if your health insurance is approved, denied, or if further information is needed to make that determination. If you have any questions, please contact SHIO at 

Proof of health insurance coverage should be provided to SHIO no later than one month before your program start date.

Back To Top