skip to Main Content

Departmental Hosting – Every inbound exchange student chooses at least one academic department in which they would like to be hosted for advising purposes. You will be able to seek academic advising from this department. However, exchange students may end up registering for classes outside of their host department. Most students will end up taking courses in a variety of different departments during their semester or year at UHM.

Advising Help – Your host department academic advisor(s) and MIX will assist you with the registration process, if necessary. Please remember that there is no guarantee that you will be able to enroll in the specific courses you have requested. Courses are available to exchange students on a space available basis and subject to departmental and/or instructor approval. If a course is full and you have not been successfully called from the waitlist, a final option may be to attend the first class meeting and talk with the instructor about permission to enroll in the class.

Business and Travel Industry Management (TIM) classes are an exception. In order to get permission to enroll in a Business class, MIX students should contact the Shidler Undergraduate Student Services Office ( and NOT the instructor. In order to get permission to enroll in a TIM class, MIX students should contact Carissa Gusman ( and NOT the instructor. A student should only attend a Business or TIM class if s/he is registered for the class.

English Language Institute (ELI) – If your TOEFL score is less than 100 (iBT) or 600 (ITP), or your IELTS score is less than 7.0, you must take the ELI Placement Test upon arrival at UHM. Please register for the placement test before your course registration date (if you do not register for the ELI Placement Test, a ‘registration hold’ will be placed on your account, preventing you from registering for classes). Based on the result of the placement test, you may be required to register for one, two, or three ELI classes (3 credits each). ELI courses count towards the 12-credit minimum. After taking the placement test, you can view their results online, and will meet personally with an ELI advisor to discuss which course(s) are right for you. You will then register for ELI courses online via the MyUH portal (find course CRNs at UHM Class Availability). Here is More information about ELI Credit.

Home University Advising – Exchange students are encouraged to be in contact with an academic advisor at your home university. This advisor can counsel you on how the courses you take at UHM will transfer back and how they can be used towards the degree requirements at your home university. Always remember to keep copies of your course syllabi (course outlines) to take back with you to your home university. These will ease the transfer credit process.

Back To Top