Skip to content

Health Insurance Types

The type of insurance you enroll in during your MIX program depends on the country you will be studying in as well as the length of time you plan to study abroad.

For all Summer programs, participants are required to enroll in the UHM Study Abroad Center’s Mandatory Health Insurance Plan, which is approved by MIX (see below for enrollment instructions).

For Semester and Yearlong programs in the following countries, students will be required to enroll in the national health care system or insurance plan recommended by the partner university, in addition to purchasing an ISIC Basic Card prior to departure.

  • Australia
  • Canada (may vary depending on the Killam Fellowship Partner University; please check their website or email for more details about whether or not additional insurance is needed)
  • China
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Hong Kong (applies to HKUST only)
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland

The ISIC Basic Card provides basic travel insurance and can be purchased online (see instructions below for details).

For Semester and Yearlong programs in the rest of the countries that MIX has exchange partnerships with (listed below), students are required to enroll in the UHM Study Abroad Center’s Mandatory Health Insurance Plan, which is approved by MIX:

  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Fiji
  • French Polynesia
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (excluding HKUST)
  • Indonesia
  • Korea
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Philippines
  • Russia
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • United Kingdom

The insurance plan is administered by T.W. Lord & Associates. The cost of the health insurance is calculated at $1.00 per day for the duration of the program overseas, beginning from the departure date until the date of return. Coverage is in effect only while the applicant is outside the U.S. Any additional dates before the start date or after the end date need to be individually negotiated with T.W. Lord & Associates – MIX does not act as an intermediary between participants and the insurance company.

Instructions for purchasing the ISIC Basic Card:

The ISIC Basic Card can be purchased online via the ISIC website. It includes basic travel insurance.
Once you have received your card in the mail, please email MIX ( a scanned copy or picture of your ISIC card so we can confirm your purchase of it. You must send proof of your purchase before you depart for your MIX program.

Instructions for enrolling in UHM Study Abroad Center’s Mandatory Health Insurance Plan:

To enroll in this insurance plan, fill out the UH SAC insurance plan, application and claim form for non SAC programs (pg. 2 only; pg. 3 is used only when you need to file a claim for a reimbursement). Make sure to use the information provided here to fill out the following sections on the form: Location Abroad, Dates Abroad, and Overseas Activity Sponsor. This spreadsheet also lists the cost of insurance for your particular program based on the program duration. Payment is by check only, payable to T.W. Lord & Associates. Once you have completed the form, submit it along with your check in an envelope to the MIX office. Please write your first and last name on the outside of the envelope before turning it in. Do not mail the form and payment directly to T.W. Lord & Associates. MIX will work with SAC to mail these items on your behalf. Note: if you plan to stay abroad longer than the dates listed in the spreadsheet and require additional insurance coverage, please contact TW Lord directly to request additional coverage.

TW Lord insurance covers the following:

  1. Accidental Death and Dismemberment, up to $15,000.
  2. Medical or Surgical Expenses after a deductible of $50 per accident or illness, 100% of the first $5,000, 80% of the next $5,000 and 100% thereafter, to a maximum of $500,000. There are exclusions.
  3. Emergency Medical Evacuation (approved by a physician) up to the maximum of $100,000.
  4. Repatriation of Remains for a maximum of $25,000.
  5. Emergency Dental Expense Benefit for a maximum of $25,000.
  6. Family Assistance Benefit: If an insured person requires hospitalization exceeding seven days, the insurance will cover the round-trip airfare and up to $100 per day for lodging expenses for a family member to provide assistance.
  7. Reunification Benefit: If one of the insured person’s immediate family members dies while the student is abroad, the insurance will pay up to $1,000 toward the cost of airfare for the student to return for a visit home.
  8. Post Program Coverage: Benefits will be paid up to $10,000 for expenses incurred in the United States for the accidents or illnesses which were first treated while participating in the UHM Study Abroad Program. These expenses must be incurred within 60 days after return to the U.S.
  9. Pre-existing Condition Benefit up to a maximum of $2,500.
  10. Worldwide Travel Assistance

For Claims and Reimbursement and Detailed Information Concerning the Policy contact:

TW Lord and Associates:

  • Toll-free: 800-233-2360

Referral Assistance Worldwide from within U.S./Canada: 800-243-6124

Referral Assistance Worldwide from outside U.S./Canada: International collect 202-331-1596

Referral Assistance Worldwide

Included in the health insurance program is access to the 24-hour Worldwide Assistance network for emergency assistance anywhere in the world. In case of emergency, call the number listed above. The multilingual staff will answer your call in English and immediately provide reliable, professional, and thorough assistance.

The following services are included in the program:

  1. Referral to the nearest, most appropriate medical facility, and/or provider
  2. Medical monitoring by board-certified emergency physicians in the United States
  3. Urgent message relay between family, friends, personal physician, school, and insured.
  4. Guarantee of payment to provider and assistance in coordinating insurance benefits.
  5. Arranging and coordinating emergency medical evacuations (with the approval of a physician) and repatriation of remains.
  6. Emergency travel arrangements for disrupted travel as the consequence of a medical emergency.
  7. Referral to legal assistance
  8. Assistance in locating lost or stolen items including lost ticket application processing.
Back To Top