We regret to share that the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa (UHM) has decided to extend the suspension of all Mānoa International Exchange (MIX) programs, both inbound and outbound, through the end of Spring 2021. This means that MIX will not send or receive exchange students until May 2021 at the earliest.
This was a very difficult decision to make. However, we believe it is the correct decision given the current circumstances on our campus, in Hawai’i, and globally, along with the likelihood these circumstances persist, or potentially worsen, as we head into spring. As was the case for our Fall 2020 inbound and outbound international exchange programs, this decision was made with the health, safety, and well-being of our student participants in mind, and to provide student participants with enough time to make alternate arrangements for Spring 2021. In addition to the continued worldwide spread of COVID-19 and the well-being of our students, the following reasons contributed to this decision:
- A growing number of cancellations by partner institutions.
- Difficulty obtaining entry into countries due to border closings, visa and air travel restrictions.
- The high probability of increased virus cases in the coming months.
- Very restricted course offerings for both in-person or virtual courses.
- Safety concerns and increased risks due to air travel.
- Guidance from the CDC which recommends that student international travel programs be cancelled as students may face unpredictable circumstances, such as travel restrictions, challenges returning home, and challenges accessing health care while abroad.
Moreover, by announcing this decision in October, we hope to eliminate any complications that might arise as a result of last-minute program cancellations, unexpected travel and immigration restrictions, housing constraints, and more.
We understand that this is disappointing news, particularly if you have already deferred your application once. Though we will not be running any exchange programs in Spring 2021, we remain committed to helping you achieve your study abroad goals in a future term. In the coming days, we will be sharing more information regarding this decision with all impacted participants and partners, as well as the UH community. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- If you are a prospective OUTBOUND student, please contact Kathy Tran, MIX Outbound Exchange Specialist, at email@example.com.
- If you are a prospective INBOUND student, please contact Vinnie Burns, MIX Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this decision is for MIX programs only and does not impact student mobility programs run by the UHM Study Abroad Center (SAC) or UHM National Student Exchange (NSE). For questions related to SAC or NSE please contact their offices directly.