LYON ARBORETUM LOGO CONTEST
in celebration of 100 Years (1918-2018)
CALLING ALL UNIVERSITY OF HAWAI‘I STUDENTS AND FACULTY WITH A LOVE FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN + PLANTS!
The University of Hawai‘i has been stewarding Lyon Arboretum since purchasing it from HSPA in 1953. To continue fostering our partnership with the University and in celebration of Lyon Arboretum’s 100th anniversary this year, we are calling on our University of Hawai‘i community members to help us create a fresh new look and logo for the Arboretum. This new logo will be incorporated onto all brand collateral, including but not limited to: promotional materials, web content, equipment, and signage.
WHO CAN ENTER: This competition is open to University of Hawai‘i system students, staff or other affiliates with a background in graphic design or who otherwise have the skills and knowledge to create and deliver a professional logo, as described in the specifications and rules below.
JUDGING CRITERIA: Entries will be judged on: originality, creativity, timelessness, versatility, legibility, and use of plant-based or place-based themed that best convey the mission, programs, and experience of the Lyon Arboretum. It is highly recommended that competition participants familiarize themselves with the Arboretum by visiting and exploring the gardens and trails prior to submitting a contest entry.
- $250 honorarium
- Use of your logo by a public, university research unit
- Announced and credited as the winner at the end of the competition, on Lyon’s website, social media, news releases, other centennial events, etc.
- Honored at our Centennial Celebration
SPECIFICATIONS AND RULES:
- Verbiage: The text in the logo must emphasize “Lyon Arboretum” and include the tagline “University of Hawai‘i” beneath it using the proper Hawaiian diacritical mark – in this case an ‘okina in the word “Hawaii” between the two letter “i”s. For more information on using an ‘okina properly, visit https://www.hawaii.edu/site/info/diacritics.php
- Color Limit: Maximum of 3 colors.
- Resolution: at least 300 dpi
- Logo Variations Needed:
- Vertical, full color logo
- Vertical, black and white logo
- Horizontal, full color logo
- Horizontal, black and white logo
- File Format:
- Contest entries: Contest entries must be submitted as high-quality PDFs
- Upon selection, winner must be able to deliver the following formats for each logo variation mentioned above: Vector File (EPS or AI), PDF, JPG, and PNG
- Revisions: Winning designer must be willing to make small adjustments to final logo entry (within reason) if requested by Lyon Arboretum.
- There is no limit to the number of entries a participant can submit
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: Email entries to email@example.com. Be sure to include:
- Full Name
- Phone Number
- Mailing Address
- Email Address
- Link to portfolio or website (if available)
- Two (2) PDF attachments: 1) full-color vertical logo, 2) full-color horizontal logo
- A brief description of the logo concept (i.e. explain why you chose a particular plant, color scheme, font, etc.)
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Entries must be received by May 31st 2018 by 11:59pm HST for consideration
LEGAL RIGHTS TO USE OF LOGO: Upon selection and notification of the winning logo, delivery of the final files and receipt of the honorarium, ownership and full rights to the use and reproduction of the selected logo are transferred from the logo designer to the Lyon Arboretum. All design contestants (including the winner) retain the right to display their contest-related concepts and submissions as part of their professional portfolio.
QUESTIONS: Questions can be directed to Rebecca Beralas, Lyon Arboretum Education and Outreach Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org or (808)988-0461.
ABOUT LYON: Lyon Arboretum is a public arboretum and botanical garden as well as a research unit of the University of Hawaiʻi, located in Mānoa Valley on the island of Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi. The mission of Lyon Arboretum is to “inspire and cultivate the conservation of tropical plant biodiversity, and connect it to Hawaii’s culture through education and research.” To learn more about Lyon, visit our website at https://manoa.hawaii.edu/lyonarboretum/.
CURRENT/PREVIOUS LYON LOGOS (FOR REFERENCE):