The Lyon Arboretum is a research and educational unit of the University of Hawaii at Mānoa and a public botanical garden. The Arboretum is one of the most beautiful settings on O’ahu, with lush rainforest gardens and beautiful mountain views. Specific areas of the grounds and Visitor Center are available for University of Hawai`i and community groups for meetings, workshops, and other events.
The Arboretum has 2 moderately sized multipurpose rooms in the Visitor Center available for rental. Advance reservations are required. The Arboretum has a limited number of parking spaces onsite. Event participants should be prepared to car pool, or arrange van or bus transportation, and may only use parking spaces reserved specifically for the event.
The Arboretum receives an average of 165” of rainfall annually, one of the highest areas of precipitation on O’ahu (this is why it is so beautiful!). Event planners using the Arboretum should prepare contingency plans for rain, wind and mosquitoes. The Arboretum is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8AM-4PM and Saturday from 9AM-3PM. Garden visitors are not restricted from any part of the Arboretum so may pass through or by outdoor events in progress.
Facilities Rental Policy
This policy sets forth the conditions under which such requests will be considered.
- Because of limited indoor space, only smaller groups (up to 50 participants, including service providers) will be considered for events held indoors. Larger groups may be considered for events held exclusively outdoors in the gardens.
- Special events can in no way interfere with Arboretum events, activities or scheduled programs.
- No Lyon Arboretum staff are available to provide assistance for events.
- The total number of vehicles parked on site is limited to 12 vehicles or less, unless special arrangements are made in advance.
- Facility Rental Fees begin at $350.00, based on facilities required and the length of time involved for the event, event set up and event cleanup.
Commercial & Event Photography and Videography Policy
- Arrangements must be made in advance for ALL commercial and event photography and filming (Weddings, Engagements, Graduations, Advertisement etc.). Fees vary.
Scheduling Your Event or Photoshoot
To schedule an event or inquire about Commercial Photography, contact Derek Higashi or call 988-0456 and leave a detailed message.