“Plants and Friends” is Lyon Arboretum’s Grade 2 field trip, which explores interdependence between plants and animals through pollinator interactions and seed dispersal mechanisms.
The “Plants and Friends Digital Resources Bundle” is a way to bring our field trip activities into your classroom, in person or online.
Your access fee goes to the Lyon Arboretum Education Department so we can continue to support Hawaii’s schools and our community by providing educational resources.
What’s in the bundle?
- The bundle has resources addressing both pollination and seed dispersal.
- It was designed with the following NGSS standard in mind:
2-LS2-2. Develop a simple model that mimics the function of an animal in dispersing seeds or pollinating plants.
- Note: These resources are not designed to directly address this standard on their own, but to provide examples for your students to draw on featuring plants, both familiar and novel, that can be found in our state.
- Make observations using plants found in our state and at the Arboretum
- Designed with in-person classroom use and distance learning in mind
The bundle includes
- Pollination resources
- Short introductory video about pollination and its importance
- Google Slides presentation highlighting specific pollinators and their preferred plant types
- Online, interactive game matching plants and pollinators
- Bonus: an example from our very own islands of how a plant’s relationship with its pollinator can affect its very survival
- Seed dispersal
- Short video explaining the importance of seed dispersal
- Virtual lab activity about using a seed’s characteristics to figure out its dispersal mechanism
How much does it cost, and how do I purchase it?
Our Plants and Friends Digital Resources bundle is available for $25.
We may be able to provide a subsidy for Title I schools. The fee covers one license for one teacher, even if the teacher has multiple classes.
We use the fees charged for access to these resources to keep our department afloat financially during this ongoing pandemic. We strive to keep costs for teachers and students low while still earning enough to support our department and continue producing materials for Hawaii’s schools and our community at large. If you have any concerns about cost, even if your school is not Title I, please reach out to us at LyonEdu@hawaii.edu. (This email address will replace our old email address email@example.com, effective 1/1/23. Beginning 1/1/23, please use LyonEdu@hawaii.edu.)
How can I purchase it? You can buy it directly from us. Our Teachers Pay Teachers store is not currently open as we are looking for alternative platforms.
Instructions for direct purchase:
- Fill out our Google Form with your name, email address, phone number, and school name
- We will email you payment instructions
- After your payment has been received, we will email the digital resource bundle to you.
We understand that our direct purchase payment process is a little roundabout at this time. Thank you for your patience!
You can view our license here.
How do the bundle and an in-person visit complement each other?
Teachers who have visited the Arboretum for the in-person Plants and Friends field trip may recognize the seed dispersal lab, which we typically do during the indoor portion of our field trip. You can use the activities offered in this digital bundle as pre- or post-field trip activities, either to introduce the lesson or to review what you learned at the Arboretum.
If you plan to use the digital bundle activities in your classroom prior to your in-person visit, please be sure to contact us (at LyonEdu@hawaii.edu) and let us know! We would be thrilled to work with you to modify your in-person field trip to spend more time outside exploring the Arboretum, get up close and personal with the seeds featured in the digital activities, or whatever best suits your class’s needs!
Do you have more resources like this?
Yes! Please visit our K-12 Education page for information about all our digital resources!
Other questions, comments, or concerns? Please contact us LyonEdu@hawaii.edu. (This email address will replace our old email address firstname.lastname@example.org, effective 1/1/23. Beginning 1/1/23, please use LyonEdu@hawaii.edu.) You can also call our Education Department office at 808-988-0461