“Amazing Adaptations” is Lyon Arboretum’s Grade 3 field trip, which explores how adaptations allow different plants to survive in different habitats. We highlight habitats and adaptations that are present in Hawaiʻi to encourage your students to connect the larger concept of “adaptations” to our unique island home.
Your access fee supports the Lyon Arboretum Education Department so we can continue to support Hawaii’s schools and our community by providing educational resources.
What’s in the bundle?
- This bundle was designed with the following NGSS standard in mind:
- 3-LS4-3. Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive less well, and some cannot survive at all.
- Note: These resources are not designed to directly address this standard on their own, but to provide the evidence for your students to construct their arguments featuring plants, both familiar and novel, that can be found in our state.
- Designed with in-person classroom use and distance learning in mind.
- Place-based! Examples of native Hawaiian plants and their adaptations are emphasized in the plant adaptations slide activity
- Your access fee supports the Lyon Arboretum Education Department so we can continue to support Hawaii’s schools and our community by providing educational resources.
The bundle includes
- Plant Adaptations video (approx 2 minutes long)
- Plant Adaptations slide activity (interactive, featuring native Hawaiian plants)
- Online review game (match the adaptation to the challenge it evolved to overcome; self-grading)
Online Rainforest 360 Tour (visit Lyon’s rainforest from the comfort of your classroom or own home)UPDATE July 2021: Unfortunately, Google has discontinued the Poly Tours service. We are currently searching for a new host for the 360 Tour. We apologize sincerely for this interruption. Comments and suggestions can be sent to LyonEdu@hawaii.edu. (This email address will replace our old email address email@example.com, effective 1/1/23. Beginning 1/1/23, please use LyonEdu@hawaii.edu.)
- Mr. Tim Talks Plants (learn about carnivorous plants with Mr. Tim, one of Lyon’s plant scientists)
- Habitat personality quiz (take our personality quiz to learn which habitat suits you best)
How much does it cost, and how do I purchase it?
Our Amazing Adaptations Digital Resources bundle is available for $25.
We may be able to provide a subsidy for Title I schools. The fee covers one license for one teacher, even if the teacher has multiple classes.
We use the fees charged for access to these resources to keep our department afloat financially during this ongoing pandemic. We strive to keep costs for teachers and students low while still earning enough to support our department and continue producing materials for Hawaii’s schools and our community at large.
If you have any concerns about cost, even if your school is not Title I, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To purchase the bundle
You can buy the bundle directly from us. Our Teachers Pay Teachers store is not currently open as we are looking for alternative platforms.
Direct Purchase instructions:
- Fill out our Google Form with your name, email address, phone number, and school name
- We will email you payment instructions
- After your payment has been received, we will email the digital resource bundle to you.
Thank you for your support!
You can view our license here.
How do the bundle and an in-person visit complement each other?
An in-person field trip will provide an opportunity to explore a real rainforest and observe the rainforest plants’ adaptations up close. We also have other themed gardens to explore and identify other adaptations.
If you are planning an in-person field trip to the Arboretum, we encourage you to use the activities offered in this digital bundle as pre- or post-field trip activities, either to introduce the lesson or to review what you learned at the Arboretum.
If you plan to use the digital bundle activities in your classroom prior to your in-person visit, please be sure to contact us ( LyonEdu@hawaii.edu. [This email address will replace our old email address email@example.com, effective 1/1/23. Beginning 1/1/23, please use LyonEdu@hawaii.edu.]) and let us know! We would be thrilled to work with you to modify your in-person field trip to spend more time outside exploring the Arboretum, get up close and personal with the seeds featured in the digital activities, or whatever best suits your class’s needs!
Do you have more resources like this?
Yes! Please visit our K-12 Education page for information about all our digital resources!
Other questions, comments, or concerns? Please contact us at LyonEdu@hawaii.edu. (This email address will replace our old email address firstname.lastname@example.org, effective 1/1/23. Beginning 1/1/23, please use LyonEdu@hawaii.edu.) You can also call our Education Department office at 808-988-0461