- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
The Alwine & Jesse Doyle European Language Study Abroad Scholarship
Department of Languages & Literatures of Europe & the Americas
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Application Form—For study abroad during Fall 2019
The Alwine & Jesse Doyle European Language Study Abroad Scholarships support University of Hawai`i at Mānoa students who want to earn six or more credits in one of the languages taught in the Department of Languages and Literatures of Europe and the Americas (French, German, Ancient Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish) at an accredited university in Europe. Students who propose to study at a European university where no UHM program exists should meet with the advisor or division chair for that language before applying. Preference will be given to students studying at the 200 level or above. Preference for graduate awards will be given to LLEA students.
Recent awards have varied from $750 to $1500
- Applicant must have a 3.0 GPA in the language to be studied
- Applicant must have an overall 3.0 GPA
- Applicant must be a full-time undergraduate or classified graduate student in good standing
Submit an application packet comprised of the following (and in this order) as a single pdf.
The DOYLE FALL 2019 application including:
- this completed Doyle Application form
- a 250-500 word essay describing:
1. why you deserve the travel grant
2. how these funds will help you accomplish your academic goals
3. your financial need and how you will supplement this grant with other funding to finance your trip
- Copy of transcript from STAR
Name this single pdf file accordingly: Fall19DOYLE_LastName.pdf and E-mail to LLEA464@hawaii.edu
Additionally, applicant must request two letters of recommendation from faculty who teach at UH Mānoa. Faculty must send the letters directly to the Doyle Selection Committee at LLEA464@hawaii.edu.
The application deadline for Fall 2019 abroad is Monday, April 8, 2019. *Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. *This includes late or missing letters of recommendation.