- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
Assistant Professor of Russian, Chair, Undergraduate Adviser
1890 East-West Rd | 457 Moore Hall | Honolulu, HI 96822
Office hours in Spring 2018: MWF 10:30 – 11.20 and by appointment
Please direct your requests for Russian-English translations and documents certification to CITS
- PhD in Russian Literature and Culture with a graduate concentration in Film Studies, The Ohio State University, 2013
- MA in Russian Linguistics, The Ohio State University, 2009
- Kandidat Nauk (PhD equivalent) in Theory of Language, Volgograd State Pedagogical University, 2001
Teaching at UH Manoa
Russian language at all levels
Russian Literature and Culture:
- LLEA 351 – Asiatic Passions Clad in European Clothing: Masterpieces of the nineteenth century Russian Literature (DL OC)
- LLEA 353 – Russia: Between Europe and Asia. Contemporary Russian Culture through Folklore, Literature, and Film (DH ETH)
- LLEA 355 – 100 Years of Russian Film (DH WI)
- Russian and German Film
- WWII Memory Studies
- Children and War
- Stalingrad discourse in Russia and Germany
- Heimat and national identity in East Germany
- Conceptual Metaphor and Blending Theories
- Water as metaphor for human domain in the arts (poetry, painting and film) of Russian Symbolism
- Iconic Waters of Symbolist Transcendence: Blending Borders across Time, Media and the Senses. Lexington Books. Forthcoming, 2019.
- “On the Run and From Below the Ground.”“Perspectives on Russian and East European War Childhood.” Ed. Larissa Rudova and Dorota Michułka. Filoteknos: Children’s Literature, Cultural Mediation, Anthropology of Childhood. University of Wrocław. Summer 2018.
- “The Ocean of Surging Emotion: Iconic Representation of Symbolist Transcendence in Konstantin Bal’mont’s poem “Feather Grass”.” In Bauer, Matthias, Olga Fischer, Christina Ljungberg and Angelika Zirker (eds.). Dimensions of Iconicity. Amsterdam: Benjamins. (2017): 119-134.
- “Unfilmed Stalingrad.” The Proceedings Volume of the Third International Conference “Beyond Camps and Forced Labour,” 7-9 January 2015.
- “Stalingrad reimagined as mythical chronotope in Fedor Bondarchuk’s Stalingrad in IMAX 3D.” Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema. (2016): 1-15.
- “East or West, Rodina Is Best: Shaping a Socialist ‘heimat’ in German and Soviet Film of the Occupation Period.” German Life and Letters. 69.4 (2016): 519-536. Print.
- “A Woman in Nature / A WOMAN IS NATURE: the Eternal Feminine as a Conceptual Blend of Human and Water Ontologies in Russian Symbolist Poetics.” In Costlow, Jane and Arja Rosenholm (eds.). Meanings and Values of Water in a Russian Culture. London and New York: Routlege. (2017): 191-206.
- “Russian Symbolism in Flux: Emotional Fluidity Across Media, Genre, and Realities.” SEEJ. 59.3 (2015): 413-430. Print.
- “Crime is in the Eye of the Beholder: Petr Petrovich Luzhin as a Distorting “Puddle-Mirror” in Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment.” Names. 58.4 (2010): 231-241. Print.
- Костецкая, А. and Т. Ивушкина (2003). Социолингвистические характеристики речи студентов Кембриджа и Гарварда. Волгоград «Перемена», (2003): 148 с.