- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
Professor, Chair of German,
1890 East-West Road
Moore Hall 454
Honolulu HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-4172
- Ph.D. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
- M.A. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
- Ludwig Maximilians Universität, München
Awards and Grants
- Frances Davis Award for Undergraduate Teaching. University of Hawai‘i.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature.
- Research Grants and Travel Awards: National Foreign Language Resource Center, University of Hawai‘i Research Council and College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature.
Areas of Interest
Pragmatics, German Language, German as a Foreign Language, Discourse Analysis, Conversation Analysis, Linguistic Categorization, Sociolinguistics, Language in its Social and Cultural Context
Yule, G. and M. Overstreet. 2017. Puzzlings. Amazon Books.
Overstreet, M. 2016. The Routledge Modern German Reader. New York and Oxon, UK: Routledge.
Overstreet, M. 1999. Whales, Candlelight, and Stuff Like That: General Extenders in English Discourse. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Overstreet, M. 2019. The English General Extender: The Forms and Functions of a New Linguistic Category: or something, and stuff. English Today. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266078419000312
- Overstreet, M. 2015. Metapragmatics. The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Boston: Wiley-Blackwell. 1-6.
- Overstreet, M. 2014. Frische Kurzgeschichten für den Unterricht. Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching Ger
man 47.1: 77-82.
- Overstreet, M. 2014. The Role of Pragmatic Function in the Grammaticalization of English General Extenders. Pragmatics 24: 105-129.
- Overstreet, M. 2012. Pragmatic Expressions in Cross-linguistic Perspective. Applied Research in English 1.2: 1-13.
- Overstreet, M. 2011. Vagueness and Hedging. In G. Andersen and K. Aijmer, Handbooks of Pragmatics: Pragmatics of Society. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 293-318.
- Overstreet, M. 2010. Metapragmatics. In Louise Cumming (ed.), The Pragmatics Encyclopedia. New York: Routledge, 266-268.
- Overstreet, M., Tran, J. and S. Zietze. 2006. Increasing Pragmatic Awareness: Die Vagheit der Sprache und so. Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German 39.1-2: 24-29.
- Overstreet, M. 2005. And stuff, und so: Investigating Pragmatic Expressions in English and German. Journal of Pragmatics 37: 1845-1864.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 2002. The Metapragmatics of and everything. Journal of Pragmatics 34: 785-794.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 2001. Formulaic Disclaimers. Journal of Pragmatics 33: 45-60.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1999. Fostering L2 Pragmatic Awareness. Applied Language Learning 10: 1-14.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1997a. Locally Contingent Categorization in Discourse. Discourse Processes 23: 83-97.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1997b. On Being Inexplicit and stuff in Contemporary American English. Journal of English Linguistics 25: 250-258.