Ka Huli Ao Center for Excellence in Native Hawaiian Law, in partnership with the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, conducts water law and advocacy trainings for homestead communities across the paeʻāina. The goal of the trainings is to provide a brief overview of Hawaiʻi’s legal framework governing water resource management and to discuss specific ways homestead communities can advocate for the pono use and protection of wai. The I Mana i ka Wai trainings also seek to inform decisionmakers and the broader community about the history and rights of the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and its beneficiaries.
Past training materials may be found below:
- Molokaʻi Training Flyer (April 14, 2018)
- West Maui Training Flyer (June 2, 2018)
- Haʻikū Training Flyer (June 16, 2018)
- Anahola Training Flyer (August 15, 2018)
- Kekaha Training Flyer (August 16, 2018)
- Lānaʻi Training Flyer (December 1, 2018)
- Waiʻanae Training Flyer (December 15, 2018)
- Kona Training Flyer (May 11, 2019)
- Waimea Training Flyer (May 19, 2019)
Hawaiʻi Constitutional Provisions
- Article 11, section 1
- Article 11, section 7
- Article 11, section 9
- Article 12, section 1
- Article 12, section 2
- Article 12, section 3
- Article 12, section 7
Hawaiʻi Water Code and Regulations
- State Water Code, HRS Chapter 174C
- HAR Title 13, Chapter 168: Water Use, Wells, and Stream Diversion Works
- HAR Title 13, Chapter 169: Protection of Instream Uses of Water
- HAR Title 13, Chapter 170: Hawaiʻi Water Plan
- HAR Title 13, Chapter 171: Designation and Regulation of Water Management Areas
- In re Water Use Permit Applications (Waiāhole I), 94 Hawaiʻi 97 (2000).
- In re Waiʻola O Molokaʻi, Inc., 103 Hawaiʻi 401 (2004).
- In re Contested Case Hearing on the Water Use Permit Application Filed by Kukui (Molokai), Inc., 116 Hawaiʻi 481 (2007).
- In re ‘Īao Ground Water Mgmt. Area High-Level Source Water Use Permit Applications & Petition (Nā Wai ʻEhā), 128 Hawaiʻi 228 (2012).
- Kauai Springs, Inc. v. Planning Commission of Kauaʻi, 133 Hawaiʻi 141 (2014).
- Nelson v. Hawaiian Homes Commission II, SCAP-16-0000496 (Majority and dissenting opinions) (2018).
DHHL Law & Policy
- Hawaiian Homes Commission Act
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules Title 10 DHHL (external link): http://dhhl.hawaii.gov/hhc/hawaii-administrative-rules/
- Hawaiian Homes Commission Water Policy Plan (external link): http://dhhl.hawaii.gov/po/water/
- State Water Projects Plan Update: Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (2017)
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes Section 168-4 (external link): https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0168/HRS_0168-0004.htm