Kawaihuelani offers a Bachelor’s degree in Hawaiian, a Minor in Hawaiian, a joint undergraduate Minor in Hawaiian Immersion Education with Hoʻokulāiwi and the College of Education, and a Certificate in Hawaiian Language.
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Hawaiian
Students pursuing a BA in Hawaiian must complete 120 non-repeated credit hours, including the General Education Requirements, Hawaiʻinuiākea undergraduate school requirements, and Hawaiian major requirements.
Hawaiʻinuiākea Undergraduate School Requirements
- In addition to completing major requirements, all undergraduate majors of Hawaiʻinuiākea (HAW, HWST, double and concurrent majors) must complete the following 15 credits of school required course work from both Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies and Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language that represent the foundation of our field of Hawaiian knowledge and also fulfill General Education Requirements of UH Mānoa. These school requirements do not apply to students pursuing a minor or certificate in Hawaiian. The following school required courses must be completed with a GPA of 3.0 or better:
- HWST 107
- HWST 270
- HAW 100
- HAW 301
- HAW 302
Hawaiian Major Requirements
- GPA of 2.0 in all UH Mānoa registered credit hours
- 33 credit hours above HAW 202 with a GPA of 3.0 or better, including the following:
- 24 credits of required courses
- 9 credits of electives
- Students must earn a grade of C or better for all Hawaiian Language courses that serve as prerequisites for other Hawaiian Language courses. Students who do not meet this requirement will not be permitted to register for the next level of Hawaiian Language
- For Hawaiian Language majors, a grade of B- or better is required for 300-400 level Hawaiian courses counted towards the Hawaiian Language major
- A maximum of 3 credit hours from HAW 284, MAO 102, SAM 102, TAHT 104, MUS 312, MUS 412, MUS 413, SLS 430, LING 445 may be counted towards the electives
- If majors choose to take a repeatable HAW class for a second time (HAW 321, 345, 383, 433, 470, 485, 486, 499), the highest grade and credits will be counted towards the major while the lower grade and credits will only count towards their UH electives, NOT the major.
HAW BA Forms: