Hawaiʻinuiākea students have the option to double major in both Hawaiian Language and Hawaiian Studies to earn two undergraduate degrees at UH Mānoa: BA in Hawaiian & BA in Hawaiian Studies. This generally means that the student must plan for more time and more expenses towards the double major completion.
A double major is defined as a student earning and completing two undergraduate degrees from the same school or college (e.g., BA HAW & BA HWST at Hawaiʻinuiākea).
To become a double major at Hawaiʻinuiākea, a student must first:
- Earn 25 credits of successful coursework at UHM.
- Have a minimum overall 2.0 GPA.
- Declare either HAW or HWST as their primary major.
- Submit a written application for approval to double major. Access the application form here.
- For more information regarding earning a double major at HSHK, access the information here.
Approved double majors must complete the following requirements:
- All BA General Education requirements required by UHM.
- All major requirements for Hawaiian Language and Hawaiian Studies.
- All Hawaiʻinuiākea all-school requirements.
- No double counting/dipping of courses required for both majors
- Maintain a mininum overall 3.0 GPA for Hawaiian Language and Hawaiian Studies courses.
- Earn a grade of B- or better in all double major classes required for the Hawaiian Language major.
- Apply for graduation and undergraduate degrees with all double major requirements completed (see above).
Please see your Academic Advisor for applying for a double major and developing a plan of study for meeting the specific requirements and agreements that need to be approved.