Are you currently living on campus and want to return for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024?
Then our annual Renewal process is for you! Renewal is your chance to choose where you want to live and renew your housing contract for the 2023 – 2024 academic year before you leave for the summer!
WHO CAN RE-APPLY
All current residents, who are in good financial and conduct standing, must submit a housing application on our website by March 15, 2023 in order to be eligible to participate in the Renewal process.
IMPORTANT: Failure to participate in the lottery process or complete the online renewal steps by the specified deadlines will result in cancellation of your renewal offer. If you’re still interested in on-campus accommodations, you will need to reapply and your application will be reviewed alongside new residents and you will be subject to all assignment priority criteria.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR RETURNING RESIDENTS
APPLY BY MARCH 15, 2023
Apply for On-Campus Housing by March 15, 2023, 11:59pm HST.
Complete the online application below along with the $25 application fee. A UH ID number is required to apply.
- Select "NON-FRESHMEN" application
- Select "GRADUATE" application, if you are currently or will be a graduate student in the fall.
- Select "FAMILY" application, if you are interested in and eligible for family housing.
LOTTERY SELECTIONLottery selection will be at the Student Housing Office located at Frear Hall on March 30th, March 31st and April 3rd from 9:30am – 3:00pm. All eligible renewal students will be able to select a lottery number. Lottery numbers determine your priority in housing placement during our Online Renewal Selection Process. Students with lower lottery numbers have higher priority for housing placement. Lottery numbers are randomly assigned through a multistep process listed below.
Lottery Process – Steps:
- Submit Housing application by March 15th, 2023 by 11:59pm (HST).
- Student Housing will verify that you have submitted your housing application by the deadline and that you have no financial housing holds on your account.
- Select your Lottery Number – Come to the Student Housing Services office to select a number from a box. You must bring your UH ID to select a lottery number.
- Check your UH Email – After the lottery number assignment process has concluded, all eligible students will receive a confirmation email from Student Housing Services with their assigned lottery number.
OPTIONAL - ATTEND THE RESIDENTIAL LEARNING PROGRAM (RLP) FAIR ON APRIL 4TH
The RLP Fair is a segment of the Renewal Process, which is an opportunity for students interested in the RLPs listed below to have priority in signing up for a room in these communities. Please note that Residential Learning programs located in Johnson Hall and the Rainbow Village community located in Gateway Hall are ONLY available at the RLP Fair.
The 2023 RLP Fair will be held on Tuesday, April 4th, 2023 at 4pm at Gateway Cafe!
The following RLPs will be available to choose from:
- College of Engineering (Johnson Hall)
- Hale Pa’akea (Johnson Hall)
- Alice Ball (Johnson Hall)
- Japanese Language & Culture (Johnson Hall)
- Filipino Language & Culture (Johnson Hall)
- Rainbow Village (Gateway House)
Please note that these Residential Learning Programs will not be available during the Housing Renewal Selection. If you participate in the RLP Fair, you do not need to participate during the Online Renewal Selection Process. You will also not be allowed to change your choice during Renewal.
See below for Frequently Asked Questions about the RLP Fair.
For more information on RLPs, please see our Residential Learning Programs page.
HOUSING RENEWAL SELECTION PROCESS
Due to social distancing requirements, this year’s Housing Renewal will be held through an online selection process. Eligible students will be sent an email with an online selection form on Wednesday, April 5, 2023.
Online Renewal Selection Process:
- Deadline – All forms must be submitted by Wednesday, April 19th, 2023 by 4:00pm HST.
- Revisions will be accepted should you decide to change your preferences. However, all revisions must be submitted by Wednesday, April 19th, 2023 by 4:00pm HST.
- Eligibility – Current Spring 2023 residents in good financial and conduct standing.
- Group Selection – Before filling out the form, please discuss with your self-formed group (if applicable) the hall, room type, and placement preferences you all would like. All students in groups must have identical preferences and have mutually requested each other in order to be assigned in the same group together.
- NOTE: If the room preferences selected by you and your group do not match, the preferences of the group member with the LOWEST lottery number will be used for placement.
- Residential Learning Programs – Please note that this form will not include Residential Learning programs located in Johnson Hall and the Rainbow Village community located in Gateway Hall.
- Residential Learning Communities enhance your on-campus living experience by placing students with similar majors or interests on selected residential floors. Rainbow Village is a gender-inclusive community where gender is not taken into account when housing assignments are made. If you are interested in living in these communities, they will be included in the RLP Night segment of our renewal online selection. A separate email will be sent out for those interested in these communities.
Complete Online Selection Form Sections:
Section 1: General Information – Name, ID number, Email, Current Room assignment, and lottery number
Section 2: Roommate Preferences – Indicate your requested roommate(s). ALL requested roommates must be renewal eligible. Self-formed groups must all be the same gender unless you are listing a co-ed community as your living option preferences.
Section 3: Room Selection – Please list three living option preferences. If you have a special request (specific room number, certain floor, high-rise building vs low-rise building, on the laundry room floor, etc), you will have the opportunity to indicate it on the form. However, we cannot guarantee that any of your preferences will be accommodated.
Graduate/Family Housing: Students who indicate a graduate or family housing living option preference must meet all eligible requirements for that community.
Section 4: Confirmation & Agreement – Students must acknowledge and accept that Student Housing will make the selection based on availability. Student Housing will not be responsible for any miscommunications based on preferences provided. Once SHS has assigned you, there will be no changes to your assignment.
Shortly after that, you will receive your housing invoice and contract. Your payment deadline will be indicated on your housing invoice.
Students assigned to the residence halls will be defaulted to the Choice 14 meal plan. Meal plans are optional for apartment residents.
SECURE YOUR HOUSING & NEXT STEPS
Your invoice and housing contract will be emailed to your UH email address. The invoice will indicate the hall you were assigned to as well as the renewal payment deadline, Monday, May 1, 2023 by 11:59pm (HST).
To accept your assignment offer, you must submit your invoice, signed housing contract, and a minimum payment of $400.00 or more to the Student Housing office by the deadline. Failure to submit all three items will result in the cancellation of your housing assignment.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Have questions? Check out the FAQs below. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, call us at (808) 956-8177 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A: No, if you have an outstanding Housing balance, you will not be allowed to participate in Lottery/Renewal.
A: No. Renewal is only available for residents who are currently living on campus. If you are living off-campus and would like to reside on-campus in the 2023 – 2024 Academic Year, you may complete the Academic Year 2023 – 2024 application and you will be assigned in the summer. Please continue to check your email for assignment updates.
A: You will no longer be eligible to participate in the renewal process. Your housing application will be included in our regular assignment process. Your application will be prioritized by our housing priorities. Housing assignments will be sent throughout the summer period based on availability.
A: Students will be able to select their lottery number at our Student Housing Services office. Students will be required to show their UH IDs as identification.
A: After the lottery number assignment process is completed, residents will receive an email with their assigned lottery number, along with instructions for the renewal selection process and a link to the renewal selection form.
A: Eligible students will be sent an email on Wednesday, April 5, 2023 to complete the Renewal Online Selection Process.
A: Yes. If all members in the group are renewal eligible, and all students in the group have identical preferences and have mutually requested each other.
A: After renewal, please be sure to check your UH email for your housing invoice and contract. You must submit your invoice, contract, and payment by Monday, May 1, 2023 by 11:59pm (HST). Failure to make payment by the deadline will result in the cancellation of your housing contract.
A: Attend in-person and bring your Student ID and Lottery Number!