What to Bring

Suggested Items

For Your Room

  • Comforter/Bedspread
    • Mattress Width = 38″
    • Mattress Length = 80″
    • Mattress Height = 7″
  • Linen (Twin XL, 80″ long)
  • Pillow
  • Fan
  • Mirror
  • Printer
  • A few plates, mugs, glasses, utensils for snacks
  • Computer and/or tablet
  • Surge protectors (multi outlet power strip) with an integral circuit breaker for fuse, 15 amps maximum, cord no longer than 10 feet, bear the UL approval rating, and are plugged directly into a wall outlet.
  • Personal toiletries
    • Shower shoes
    • Tissues
    • Shower caddy
  • First-aid kit (adhesive strip, antiseptic cream, medicine, etc.)
  • Cleaning products (dust cloth, sponge, hand-vacuum, disinfecting wipes, etc.)
  • Hangers
  • “Blue Tape” painter’s tape for hanging posters on walls
  • Apartments additionally require:
    • Toilet paper
    • Trash can
    • Full complement of kitchen equipment
    • Cleaning supplies for full apartment

For Bathing

  • Toiletries
  • Towels
  • Shower shoes/shower slippers
  • Small plastic shower caddy to carry supplies to/from room and shower

For Laundry

  • Laundry basket or bag
  • Detergent, bleach, softener, etc.

Miscellaneous Items

  • Umbrella
  • Flashlight
  • Plants
  • TV
  • Small rugs
  • Storage bins
  • Games

On Move-In Day...

Halls have carts or dollies to help you move your stuff into your room, but it will be faster if everything is boxed or bundled together.

Please note that the following halls DO NOT HAVE AN ELEVATOR:

  • Hale Kahawai
  • Hale Laulima
  • Johnson Hall
  • Hale Ānuenue

Shipping your personal items

Personal belongings shipped to your residence halls must be pre-paid, shipped directly to your hall, and timed to arrive after hall opening. Find the address to your hall…

As an alternative to shipping, please consider the following options:

Prohibited Items

The following items are prohibited. (this is not a complete list)

  • Pets (except for service animals, pre-approved emotional support animals, fish)
  • Air conditioners, Ceiling fans, Heaters
  • Extension cords
  • Temporary lighting such as string or decorative holiday lighting (even if battery operated)
  • Halogen lights, lava lamps
  • Homemade or modified electrical wiring
  • Self-balancing scooters or hoverboards
  • Illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia (bongs, etc)
  • Tobacco products or smoking devices (if you are under 21 years of age)
  • Dangerous substances such as flammable liquids, motor vehicle batteries, acids
  • Tasers
  • Laser pointers
  • Weapons/firearms
  • Firecrackers, fireworks, explosives
  • Dangerous objects (per policy): paintball, BB, pellet or air soft guns, spears, machetes, nunchucks, bows and arrows.
  • Knives (Other than kitchen knives)
  • Personal lofts or other structures
  • Waterbeds
  • Furniture that is non-University/Housing issued
  • Door locks that are non-University/Housing issued
  • Aerials, antennas extending outside the building

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When will I find out who my roommate(s) will be?
A: If a student has authorized the housing department to release their name and contact information, this information is available at https://www.housing.hawaii.edu/myhousing

Q. Will I be able to change my room or hall after I check in?
A: Room or hall transfers will begin approximately 2 weeks after the halls open. Residents will be emailed detailed instructions on how to request a hall or room transfer shortly after hall opening.

Q. What items will I need and don’t need to bring with me?
A: Information on recommended items to bring, mattress sizes, and prohibited items are found on the What to Bring section of this page.

Q. Can I mail packages to my hall before I check in?
A: Yes, however any packages sent directly to the halls should be sent to arrive AFTER you move in. Building staff will not accept packages before hall opening as they are not equipped to safeguard such deliveries.

Q. Am I required to have a meal plan?
A: If you are assigned to a residence hall, your participation in the meal program is required. If you are assigned to an apartment community, your participation in the meal program is not required. However, apartment residents may elect to have a regular meal plan or participate in a plan designed for apartment residents. Meal plan information may be found on our Residential Dining page.

Q. What must I do if I have changed my mind about living in the residence halls or apartments?
A: If you have already accepted your housing contract, i.e. made a payment and signed the contract, you must notify the Student Housing Service’s Office in writing. Your notification must include your university student ID, provide the effective date of your contract termination, and state why you are terminating your housing contract. Contract cancellation penalties will apply; detailed information about these penalties may be found on our Rates page, in the Refund and Contract Cancellation Terms section.

Q. Do I need to have a Health Clearance?
A: A valid health clearance from University Health Services is required to live in student housing. You will not be allowed to move in without a valid health clearance. All students must comply with the following requirements:

  1. Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
  2. Measles Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  3. Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  4. Varicella
  5. Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV), for first-year students living in on-campus housing only

Q. Will I be able move into my halls before my scheduled check-in date?
A: Students who arrive before the scheduled hall opening dates must find alternative off-campus housing.

Q. I made the initial housing payment of $400. How do I check my balance or make additional payments?
A: Your housing balance may be paid either by visiting the Student Housing Services cashier office or online on MyUH. Refer to https://www.hawaii.edu/myuhinfo/payment for online payment methods accepted by the University.

Please note that online payments require payment of your entire balance including, but not limited to, tuition and fee charges.

Credit/Debit Card payments:  To ensure proper credit to your housing account, please make your payment online through your MyUH account by following the steps below. This process allows you to pay ONLY your housing and meal charges.

  1. Access your account at https://myuh.hawaii.edu
  2. Click “Pay Tuition and Fees”
  3. Log in with your UH username and password
  4. Select “Make Payment”
  5. Select “Pay by Line Item” (if you do not pay by line item and select housing and meal charges to be paid,your payment may be applied against other outstanding charges such as tuition.
  6. Select Student Housing charge(s) with description “Man Housing…” and “Man Hsg Meals…”
  7. Follow payment instructions

In-person payments:  Payments to the Student Housing Cashier Office may also be made via check (payable to the University of Hawaii) or money order. Payments may also be made in person at the cashier window in Frear Hall. To ensure that your account is properly credited, your name and student ID number should be included with your payment.

Q: I am unable to pay in full at this time, is there a payment plan?
  The University has an installment payment plan. More information can be found here: https://www.hawaii.edu//myuhinfo/paymentoptions/


Q. Why does my housing charge cover only the fall costs when I have an academic year housing contract?
A: The Student Housing Services office follows the university practice of billing by semester. The spring portion of your housing cost will be posted to your account in mid-October.

Q. I will be receiving financial aid that will cover my housing and meal (if applicable) costs. How do I make my housing payment?
A: Hopefully, you have already made your initial payment by the deadline indicated on your housing invoice. If you paid your entire housing balance, any remaining balance will be disbursed into your MyUH student account when your financial aid is received. If you paid only the initial $400 housing payment, you will be responsible to meet all housing payment deadlines. Please contact the Student Housing Services cashier office if you have payment questions before a payment is due.

Q. How do I get my student ID card?
A: You can obtain your UH Mānoa ID Card, now known as the Mānoa One Card, at the Campus Center Ticket, Information and ID Office after you have registered for classes. See manoa.hawaii.edu/onecard/getyouronecard/ for more information.