Fall 2022 FAQ

Yes! Please see the Week of Welcome event information on our Fall 2022 Move-In page.

Each resident is assigned a Resident Assistant (RA). Your RA is a student staff member who is here to support your success in SHS and the university. RAs have a wealth of information and are a great resource for any questions you have. Your assigned RA will reach out to introduce themselves and provide you with a way to contact them. If you haven’t connected with them yet you can contact your Residence Director (contact information in following section) via email who can put you in touch with them. Additionally, please expect your RA to schedule a meeting with you to check in periodically over the semester.

Each community has a Residence Director (RD) and some also have Assistant Residence Directors (ARD). These are the professional staff that oversee the residential program in each community and supervise the Resident Assistants. Contact information for your RD/ARD can be found at: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/housing/contactus.

First, all residents will receive an email with instructions to complete their Room Condition Form (RCF). This form allows you to report the condition of your room upon move-in so that you are not charged for any pre-existing conditions. It is required you complete the RCF within 72-hours or receive the email notification and instructions.

Throughout the year, if there are any maintenance concerns in your room, you can file a Pilikia Service Request at https://resnet.hawaii.edu/pilikia/. Operations staff will review your request and communicate or schedule the work as needed. If you have any questions about the status of your request, you can contact Operations directly through the service request system, or ask your RA for assistance.

For urgent issues hall staff are on-duty each evening and 24/7 on weekends. Duty phone numbers can be found at: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/housing/contactus#keycontact and are posted throughout the building.

In the event of an immediate health and safety emergency, you can also call 911 or the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 808-956-6911.

The Counseling and Student Development Center is staffed by licensed mental health professionals. Please contact them during normal business hours at 808-956-7927 or refer to their website for information: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/counseling/.

We also have a Counselor-In-Residence (CIR) program for after hours support for mental health emergencies. CIRs can be accessed through the hall staff on-duty.

Student Housing’s Community Standards can be found at https://manoa.hawaii.edu/housing/communitystandards. Every resident should make sure they are familiar with the Community Standards so they know what is expected of every individual. If you have any questions, please contact your RA.

The Community Standards have been updated with additional policies that are based on Department of Health guidance as well as city and state requirements. Please view the Fall 2022 Policies in full here.

Residents should pay careful attention to these requirements and speak to their RA if they have any questions.

  • Residence Hall Association (RHA)
    The Residence Hall Association is to serve as the voice and advocate for, and with, students living in the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa Residence Hall Community. RHA represents these students of the residence halls and apartments, connecting them to the larger campus and local community. We foster a sense of belonging amongst residents by creating an inclusive atmosphere with social, educational, and cultural countenance towards care, and formulate an environment of safety and ‘ohana. By providing opportunities for leadership, we strive to help residents enjoy their experience as part of the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa ‘ohana.

    RHA General Body Meetings
    Every Wednesday
    Zoom Meeting ID: 944 039 4123

    Email: rhamanoa@hawaii.edu
    Instagram: rhamanoa
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RHAManoa/?view_public_for=1528417290756132


  • National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
    The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) is a leadership-based honorary organization comprised of exemplary residential students who value recognition and service. NRHH strives to provide recognition for individuals who have contributed to the advancement of college and university housing. NRHH members have a passion for serving others, and seek to give back to the community through regular service events. If you’re looking for a chance to develop your leadership skills alongside other passionate, positive students, join us at our weekly meetings. We can’t wait to welcome you to the ‘ohana!

    NRHH General Body Meetings
    Thursdays at 7:30 PM HT
    Click To Open Zoom Link

    Connect With Us
    Email: nrhh@hawaii.edu
    Instagram: @nrhh.manoa
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nrhh.manoa/


  • Community Councils
    Community Councils (CC) are structured to be a student government council for each of the residence hall communities. Community Councils typically meet once a week for a general meeting, and put on one program each month. The CC is overseen by one professional staff and student staff (RA) who act as an advisor to the group. CC is a great stepping stone to further a resident’s leadership and professional development. Many CC members go on to being an RA, RHA or NRHH Executive Member, or other leadership role on and off campus. If you are interested in learning more about your hall’s community council, please contact your RA, ARD, or RD.

Please view our current student employment listings on our Work with Us page!

The SHS transfer process occurs a few weeks into each semester. Residents will receive an email informing them of the transfer period, along with instructions on how to request the transfer.

SHS has 4 main community desks to serve you:

    • Hale Aloha Lokelani Community Desk – (808) 956-6283: Serves all Hale Aloha residents. Open 8am – 8pm.
    • Gateway House Community Desk – (808) 956-6181: Serves Gateway House, Frear Hall, and Johnson Hall students. Open 8am – 8pm.
    • Hale Laulima Community Desk – (808) 956-6060: Serves Hale Laulima and Hale Kahawai students. Open 11am – 8pm. (Students can visit the Gateway Community Desk for help when the Laulima desk is closed.)
    • Hale Wainani Community Desk – (808) 956-6019: Serves Hale Wainani residents. Open 8am – 8pm.

Addresses to these desks can be found at https://manoa.hawaii.edu/housing/contactus#keycontact.
The community desks serve as a resource for you for questions and assistance. They distribute mail and can issue you a replacement key should you lose yours or lock yourself out of your room.

Please note: all packages will be delivered to the Frear Hall Mail Center (entrance is off of Manoa Walk to the the right of entrance to the community desk), and is open from 8am-4pm daily.

If between the hours of 8am and 11pm, you can go to your community desk to get a replacement key. Additionally, between 8pm and 8am daily (and 24/7 on weekends), you can contact the RA on-duty for your community. During business hours, you can also contact the Residential Life office at (808) 956-8300.

The university maintains several websites that provide information about various campus activities. Some of the websites are as follows:

Campus Center Board Activities Council: https://uhmccbac.weebly.com/
Art events: https://hawaii.edu/art/exhibitions-events-museum/
Theater and Dance events: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/liveonstage/news-events/
Academic and Community Events: https://www.hawaii.edu/calendar/manoa

There are several locations from which you can get food, visit uhm.sodexomyway.com for the most up-to-date information on locations and hours.

General Housing FAQ

Q: When I look at my University Student account on-line at MyUH, why is my housing payment $100 less than what I paid?
A: When your initial payment is made, $100 is put into a security deposit account. Unfortunately, this account cannot be seen on-line through the MyUH site. After you checkout and once all post-checkout damage charges have been posted, the deposit will be released into your University Student Account. Once released to your account, the payment will have the description “Man Housing Deposit,” and will be applied to the balance of your University Student Account. Any remaining credit balance will be refunded to you.

Q: I paid my housing and meal costs. Why does my UH student account show that a payment is due?
A: If you have other UH charges (i.e. tuition, student activity fees, etc.) that are unpaid, the system will redirect your housing and/or meal plan payment and apply it to those other outstanding charges first. Therefore, though you intended to pay off your housing charges, your account may still show a balance due for housing charges if you had other UH charges that needed to be paid off first. Your initial $400 housing payment, however, will be immediately applied to housing charges only ($100 as a security deposit and $300 as rent).

Q: How do I change my meal plan?
A: Residents will have two opportunities (pre-hall opening and post-hall opening) to make changes to their meal plans. Once the semester has begun, residents will have the first two weeks of the semester to change meal plans. (Points from your initial plan will not be changed.) Meal plan changes may be made by emailing the Student Housing Services office at: uhmsh@hawaii.edu. Please include your name, UH ID number and indicate which meal plan you want.

Q: Will leftover retail points carry over to the next semester?
A: Unused retail points (those included with the meal plans) will be forfeited at the end of the academic year. Points added during the academic year will not expire except after one year of inactivity.

Q: Where can I use my meal plan?
A: Meal plans may be used at any Student Affairs Dining location on campus. This includes Campus Center Dining, Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Ba-le, Simply To-Go, Stir Fresh, The Market, and at the Hale Aloha and Gateway House cafeterias.

See our list of items to bring on our Move-in page.

Q: What type of jobs are available on campus?
A: A variety of student assistant jobs are available within Student Housing Services (such as Community Desk Coordinator, Utility, and Grounds) throughout the year. Please see our Work with Us page. 
For other on-campus student positions, see the Student Employment site or visit the Manoa Career Center in the Queen Liliuokalani Center for Student Services.

Q: Where do I go if I’m locked out?
A: You may go to your front desk during desk hours or call the Staff-On-Call after desk hours. View Desk and On-Call Numbers on our Contact Us page.

Q: I was approached for allegedly violating a policy. What happens now?
A: Depending on the severity of the offense, you will receive a request to meet with a Residential Life staff member or a member of the Judicial Affairs Office to discuss the violation and incident. Depending on the type of violation, you may face disciplinary action. Failure to attend the meeting could result in disciplinary sanctions being imposed without your input. Learn more on our Conduct Process and Appeals page.

Q: Is there parking on campus?
A: Yes, however automobile parking is limited to those with parking permits issued by Commuter Services. Mopeds and motorcycles may park in designated lots on-campus only if they are registered with Commuter Services and have a parking sticker for that designated lot. Learn more about Commuter Services…

Q: Is there an escort service for the halls?
A: Yes, call Campus Security Dispatch at 66911 and they will try to provide you an escort when you are walking on campus at night. Learn more about the Safety Escort Service…

Q: What is a Staff-On-Call?
A: At least one staff member is on duty in each residence hall after business hours, on weekends and during holidays. The On-Call staff member responds to policy violations, lock-outs and emergencies.

Q: Where is the Student Housing Office?
A: Student Housing Services is located in the south facing tower of Frear Hall, 2569 Dole Street.
Telephone: (808) 956-8177
E-mail: uhmsh@hawaii.edu
Website: manoa.hawaii.edu/housing
Fax: (808) 956-5995

Q: What procedures do I have to follow to cancel my Housing Contract?
A: The Student Housing Services office must be notified in writing. Your notification (email accepted), must include your university student ID number, provide the effective date of your contract termination, and state the reason that you are terminating your contract. If you have already moved in, a google form will be sent to you with instructions on how to complete the form. You must also notify your hall staff and schedule a formal check-out date and time. Contract cancellation penalties will apply.

Q: Where can I stay if I arrive before or depart after the housing contract begins or ends?
A: A limited amount of spaces are available in our Conference Housing program for those needing accommodations during periods outside of their housing contract. Please visit our Conference Housing pages for more information.

Q: Are there on-campus accommodations for my parents or other visitors?
A: Yes. Conference housing provides on-campus accommodations for those needing temporary accommodations. Please visit our Conference Housing pages for additional information.

Q: I don’t get along with my roommate, what do I do?
A: Contact your RA or any other hall staff member. They will be able to talk to you about the situation, offer you different options about what to do or assist in helping you communicate with your roommate(s). For more roommate information, please see our Living On Campus 101 page.

Q: Where can I do my laundry?
A: Each residence hall has card operated washers and dryers for your use. Locations vary depending upon the building.

Q: Can I leave my belongings in my room over the Winter or Spring break?
A: Yes, however, it is recommended that items of value are taken with you if you will be leaving during the break periods.

Q: How can I connect to the Internet from my room?
A: All student rooms have access to the campus-wide UHM wireless network. Information about connecting can be found at https://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1037.  In addition, all rooms are provided with a datajack for residents who prefer to use a wired connection.  Please be aware that users of the network are expected to abide by the ResNet policy provided in section 17 of the Community Standards. Technical support can be obtained by submitting a Service Request or calling (808) 956-6800.

For important academic dates and deadlines, see the UHM Academic Calendar.