The History Major
Majors choose History courses that interest them most, semester by semester, and are able to take most specialized upper-division courses starting their first year. Please see our current course descriptions for more information, or make an appointment with our Advisor to find out how a History major / History minor is right for you.
Check out our course brochure here
Students must complete eleven courses (33 credit hours) in History with a minimum grade of C (not C-) or better, with the following provisions:
- Up to two 200-level History courses (6 credits total) may be counted toward the History major.
- 100-level History courses do not count toward the major.
- One 300- or 400-level course (3 credits) from another department may be counted toward the History major, with written History Department approval, according to criteria set by the department.
- HIST 396 and HIST 496 in sequence
Note: HIST 499 requires approval by Chair of History Department. Directed readings are not normally counted toward major or minor requirements. Only three credits of HIST 499 can be applied toward major or minor requirements.
How to Declare History as Your Major
Declaring History as your major is easy. Follow these steps:
- Go to the CALL Advising Center Forms page. Select and fill out the “Major Declaration / Change of Major” form.
- Make an appointment with the History Advisor, Dr. Karen Jolly (see below). She will discuss major requirements with you and sign the form. Note: If you declared History as your major when you entered or transferred to UHM, you still need to meet with the Advisor. Also, it is recommended that you have an advising appointment every semester to make sure you’re on track.
- Make an appointment with the CALL Advising Center to complete the form.
- You’re a History major! Congrats!
Set Up an Advising Session
Thinking about becoming a History major or minor? Want more information on different course options? Getting ready to graduate (congrats)? You are welcome to set up a meeting any time with the History advisor, Dr. Karen Jolly.
Prof. Karen Jolly, Advisor
Office Hours: Book an appointment via: https://uhmanoahistory-advising.youcanbook.me/
Graduation requires two advising sessions, starting at least 2 semesters before you graduate.
- First, schedule an appointment with the CALL Advising Center.
- Next, schedule an appointment with the History Advisor, Dr. Karen Jolly.