Nominated by the Faculty Senate Committee on Faculty Service and appointed by the Graduate Dean, members of the Graduate Council serve terms of three years. The council meets monthly and advises the Graduate Dean on matters related to graduate education. The council also reviews existing graduate programs, proposals for new graduate programs, and appointments of graduate faculty. The Graduate Dean chairs the Graduate Council.
The council has three standing committees: Administrative-Admissions-Advisory, Program, and Course Committees. The council also serves as the Graduate Academic Grievance Committee for matters pertaining to graduate students.
Members are selected to be broadly representative of the graduate programs at UHM, with one or two representatives from each school or college, depending on size, and one representative selected on a rotating basis from the smallest schools. In addition, the Graduate Student Organization and the Faculty Senate each have two seats. The following summarizes the composition of the Graduate Council:
- Graduate Dean — Chair
- Graduate Associate Dean — Vice-Chair
- College of Arts and Humanities — 2 members
- College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature — 2 members
- College of Natural Sciences — 2 members
- College of Social Sciences — 2 members
- College of Education — 2 members
- College of Engineering — 1 member
- School of Medicine — 1 member
- School of Nursing — 1 member
- School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology — 1 member
- School of Social Work — 1 member
- College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources — 1 member
- College of Business — 1 member***
- School of Architecture — 1 member***
- School of Travel Industry Management — 1 member ***
- School of Hawaiian Knowledge — 1 member **
- School of Pacific and Asian Studies — 1 member **
- Graduate Student Organization — 2 members *
- Faculty Senate Liaison — 2 members
* One member is the GSO president and the second member is selected by the GSO from elected officers and representatives.
** & *** Members are selected on a rotating basis.
Graduate Council Minutes 20180417.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20180320.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20180220.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20180116.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20171212.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20171121.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20171017.pdf
Graduate Council Minutes 20170919.pdf