The U.S. Department of State has announced an extension of its nonimmigrant visa interview waiver program for certain temporary workers, students, and exchange visitors through December 31, 2023. Under the program extension, U.S. consular officers are authorized to waive the in-person interview requirement for certain H-1B, O-1, P-3, F-1, and J-1 visa applicants. The following criteria apply to these visa types in order to qualify for an interview waiver:
- A revised version of the existing policy authorizing interview waivers for certain F, J and employment visa applicants will be extended to December 31, 2023.
- Through the same date, U.S. consulates will have the authority to continue to waiver the in-person interview requirements for foreign nationals applying for any type of nonimmigrant visa in the same classiication, where the prior visa has expired within 48 months.
- Consulates have also been given new authority to waiver nonimmigrant visa interviews for some H-1B and H-4 applicants, among others, provided that they meet certain criteria.
- Visa applicants must till meet certain requirements to be eligible for the interview waiver, and these interview waiver policies may vary from consulate to consulate depending on local conditions. Waivers are only granted at the discretion of the consular officer.
- If you need to apply for or renw your visa to reenter the U.S., check the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you plan to apply for your visa for detailed information on what services are currently available as well as for eligibility information and instruction on applying for a visa without an interview.
For more information, see Important Announcement on Waivers of Interview Requirement for Certain Nonimmigrant Visas.