Honolulu Police are investigating an aggravated assault that occurred in front of Burns Hall on the UH Mānoa campus on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at around 7:45 p.m..
Authorities say three students were walking down East-West Road when two male suspects came up from behind and struck two of the students with a baseball bat. The students did not sustain serious injuries. One suspect was subdued by the victims and arrested by police. The other suspect fled on foot and is described by witnesses as:
- Age: 18-20
- Hair: straight, short cut
- Height: 6’
- Clothing: black T-shirt
If you have any information, please contact the UH Mānoa Department of Public Safety (DPS) at (808) 956-6911 or Honolulu Police (HPD) at 911.
- It is a crime to intentionally touch someone against his or her will, regardless of the situation.
- Responsibility is with the perpetrator, not the victim/survivor – no one deserves, asks for or provokes assault.
- Counseling services are available. For students, please contact the Counseling & Student Development Center at (808) 956-7927. For employees who need counseling services, please speak with your Human Resources representative, who can provide information on the Employee Assistance Program.
Although the victim/survivor is never at fault, prioritizing one’s personal safety is recommended. The following safety tips have been provided by DPS:
- Be aware of your surroundings, look assertive, and keep a safe distance from strangers.
- Encourage friends to travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- Trust your intuition – if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative
- Download the Mānoa Guardian app and use the Safety Timer feature to notify family, friends, or DPS staff if you are walking alone or in an unfamiliar place on campus: http://manoaguardian.com/.
- If you feel that you or others are in danger, look for a blue light Emergency Call Box, call DPS at (808) 956-6911, or call HPD at 911.
- To report suspicious, illegal, or unusual activity on campus, call DPS at (808) 956-6911 or HPD at 911.