3190 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-8492
Fax: (808) 956-3894
Richard A. Criley
Flowers in gen.-Production-all aspects Flowers in gen.-Propagation Flowers in gen.-Nutrition Flowers in gen.-Growth Regulation Flowers in gen.-Control Flowers in gen.-Species Identification Foliage in gen.-Production-all aspects Foliage in gen.-Propagation
B.S., Pennsylvania State University, 1962; M.S., Horticulture, Pennsylvania State University, 1964; Ph.D., Plant Science, UCLA, 1968
Dr. Criley's research embraced several themes: Physiology of flowering of tropical ornamentals, Foliage plant production, Uses of growth regulators in horticulture, Production of ornamental Hawaiian native plants, Alternative trees for Hawaii landscapes. Tropical crops on which he has conducted research include tropical gingers, heliconias, bird-of-paradise, proteas, vireya rhododendrons, bougainvillea, dendrobium orchids, and plumeria as well as traditional floricultural crops such as chrysanthemums and poinsettias. He has recently taught Seed Science, Plant Propagation, Ornamental Plant Materials, Plant Growth & Development (Graduate), Ornamental Plants, and an experimental topics course in Public Horticulture & Public Gardens. He continues to be active as a member of graduate student committees.
Other interests (gymnastics, acrobatics):
- Criley, R.A. 2015. Alpinia to Zingiber â€“ Zingiberales in commercial floriculture. Acta Hort. 1104:435-454
- Criley, R.A. and H.-J. Kim. 2015. Year around production of Globba sherwoodiana â€˜White Dragonâ€™ cut flowers. Acta Hort. 1097:251-255.
- Criley, R. A., K. W. Leonhardt , D. Oka, P. N. Shingaki. 2008. Extending the flowering period of Leucospermum hybrids through disbudding. Acta Hortic. 766:183-186.
- Criley, R. A. 2013. Blueprint programming for year-around forcing of Curcuma alismatifolia. Acta Hort. 1000:209-216.
- Criley, R. A. 2009. Plumeria rubra: an old ornamental, a new crop. Acta Hort. 813:183- 190.
- Perez, K. and R. A. Criley. 2013. Correlative vital staining and in vitro pollen germination of plumeria. Acta Hort. 1000:511-518.
- Criley, R. A. 2006. Ethephon defoliation of Plumeria rubra for winter flowering. Proc. 32nd Ann. Mtg. Plant Growth Regulator Society of America. pp 65-68.
- Criley, R. A. 2006. Note on propagation of various tropical woody ornamentals. Comb. Proc. Intern. Plant Prop. Soc. 55:507-511.
- Miller, W. S. and R. Criley. 2006. The micropropagation and reintroduction into an open environment of sterile Plumeria rubra adult and seedling tissue. Comb. Proc. Intern. Plant Prop. Soc. 55:512-516.
- Criley, R. A. 2015. Public horticulture â€“ Public gardens: Is there a career for you? Proc. Intern. Plant Prop. Soc. 64:347