3190 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-6043
Fax: (808) 956-3894
H.C. "Skip" Bittenbender
Extension Specialist in Fruit & Nuts
Cacao, cocoa, kava, 'awa, coffee and all aspects of production
B.S., Western Michigan University, 1972; M.S., Michigan State University, 1974; Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1977
* Developing Hawaii's cacao to chocolate industry * Small scale cacao to chocolate production * Commercializing kava for the benefits as a nutraceutical beverage * Mechanized pruning and harvesting of coffee * Genetic and environmental effects on fruit quality and performance
My lab sponsors a kava circle for students, staff, and faculty who want to drink and understand kava and discuss current agriculture issues in Hawaii.
I produce the "AgBoard" a once a month posting of print medial clippings on agriculture reported in Hawaii newspapers for students to read between class periods and digitial version of ag headlines are sent to TPSS students, faculty and friends of CTAHR.
My two courses Beverage Crops ( 120B) and Introduction to Tropical Fruits (120D) provide non-majors an opportunity to learn about creating beverages and tasting them and tropical fruits. Every class periods concludes with a tasting.
- Bittenbender, H.C. 2011. Best Management Practices for Coffee Berry Borer Video (19 min) http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/site/CBB.aspx 30 April 2011.
- Hebbar, P., H.C. Bittenbender, and D. Oâ€™Doherty. 2010. Farm and Forestry Production and Marketing Profile for Cacao (Theobroma cacao). In: Elevitch, C.R. (ed.). Specialty Crops for Pacific Island Agroforestry. Permanent Agriculture Resources (PAR), Holualoa, Hawaiâ€˜i.
- Paull, Robert E. and H.C. Bittenbender (2008) Guava (In) Encyclopedia of Fruits and Nuts, J. Janick and R. Paull (Eds) CABI Press.
- Bittenbender, HC, Loren Gautz, and Rachel Li. 2007. Optimizing the Extraction of Kavalactones during Preparation of Kava Beverage. (In) Proceedings of Kava Science Symposium 1 at 4th Annual Hawaii and Pacific Islands Kava Festival. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, October 6 and 7, 2007.
- http://awadevelopment.org/kavafestival/secy.htm Nov 30, 2007 Nerurkar, Pratibha V., Steven T.S. Lim, Klaus Dragull, Chung-Shih Tang, H C Bittenbender, and Jimmy T. Efird. 2007.
- Effects of Kava Alkaloid, Pipermethystine, and Kavalactones on Oxidative Stress and Cytochrome P450 in F-344 Rats (In) Proceedings of Kava Science Symposium 1 at 4th Annual Hawaii and Pacific Islands Kava Festival. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, October 6 and 7, 2007.
- http://awadevelopment.org/kavafestival/secy.htm Nov 30, 2007 Steiman, Shawn R, Travis W Idol, and H. C. Bittenbender (2007). Analysis of kaolin particle film usage and its application on coffee. HortScience 42:1605-1608.
- Lin, G. David, Rachel We Li, H. C. Bittenbender and Chung-Shih Tang. 2007. Combined Effects of Pipermethystine with Kavalactones on HepG2 Cell Growth. Joint Australasian Society of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologists and Toxicologists (ASCEPT) and the Southeast Asian Western Pacific Regional Meeting of Pharmacologists (SEAWP-RMP), Adelaide Hilton, Adelaide, December 2-6, 2007.
- Bittenbender, H.C. 2007. Coffee (IN) Irrigation of agricultural crops - Agronomy Monograph.
- Loren D Gautz, Pakieli Kaufusi, Mel C Jackson, Harry C Bittenbender, and Chung-Shih Tang. (2006) Determination of Kavalactones in Dried Kava (Piper methysticum) Powder using Near-infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy and Partial Least-Squares Regression. J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 54 (17): 6147-6152