2022 Contest Winners

This year, in addition to the division winners, a new category for best healthy local seafood dish was awarded by the Center for Tropical and Subtropical Aquaculture (CTSA) and NOAA-funded aquaculture perception project with the award going to the Lawai Prawn Pasta dish. CTSA is one of five regional aquaculture centers established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to integrate individual and institutional expertise and resources in support of aquaculture development. The ‘Healthy Local Seafood’ award is being presented to the winner as part of a NOAA Sea Grant funded education project to increase understanding of aquaculture, fisheries, and seafood. The winning entry is an exemplary demonstration of preparing a local seafood meal from harvest to table. Congratulations!

Upper Division

Rylie Ann Hashizume (Oahu)
“Participating in the Cooking Video Challenge taught me a lot about making your own recipe and how much trial and error it takes. I made almost 10 different variations of the same recipe, figuring out what worked and what didn’t. I spent a lot of time editing the video, too, speeding it up, slowing it down, and cutting parts out when needed to create the desired effect.”
View recipes and videos from all winners here.
Lower Division
Noah de la Pena Head Shot 2022
Noah de la Pena (Kauai)
“I like to go fishing and using my net to catch crabs and prawns. I learned how to make a healthy nutritious meal for my family using local ingredients. ”

Healthy Local Seafood Award Winner

Runners Up
Jayden Hashizume (Oahu)“When working on the cooking video entry, I learned many new things about video creation as well as gaining experience in video editing. When thinking of how to start the video I looked at some YouTube videos and tried to draw inspiration from that. I found that some videos have an introduction sufficiently covering what the video will be about and adding some background information about the topic while providing some obscure visuals.” Jude Headshot 2022 Jude Stickley (Oahu)“ learned that it is a lot of work to put together a video for a cooking recipe! My recipe was simple, but took several hours, so I had to plan throughout the day so I could show the next steps in the yogurt making process. ”