UH Mānoa’s Parking Regulations are in place to ensure the safety and convenience of our campus community. All individuals who drive and/or park on campus must observe these rules at all times. Vehicles in violation will be subject to citation and fines and/or towing.
List of 12 Regulations *:
- UHM Parking Regulations are in effect 24 hours daily throughout the year.
- Observe all officially posted signs regarding traffic and parking control.
- All motor vehicles parking on University property must have either a valid UHM parking permit/pass, a Warrior Quick Pass, or a ticket from a Pay Station. Permit requirement is enforced Monday – Saturday, including Green Days (except during State Holidays, and special events).
- Proper permits/passes must be displayed at all times in plain view:
In cars and trucks –
- window clings must be affixed to inside of lower right or left corner of a vehicle’s windshield facing out
- hangtags must be displayed on rear-view mirror facing out
- dashboard passes must be entirely displayed on the dashboard with permit information visibly displayed (permit number, duration of permit, zone)
- ticket from Pay Station in driver side corner of dashboard face up
On motorcycles or mopeds –
- must be affixed on the left handlebar
- A permit/pass designates a specific parking zone where the vehicle may be parked; it does not, however, guarantee a space in that specific University parking area. Pay Station tickets may only be used in a green striped stall.
- The use or possession of a(n) invalid, expired, counterfeit, altered, defaced, illegally transferred, or stolen permit/pass is prohibited and will result in a citation.
- Parking is permitted only in areas clearly marked and specified by Commuter Services.
- Parking is prohibited in areas including, but not limited to, lawns, planted areas, grounds under repair, median strips, sidewalks, driveways, crosswalks, red curbs, and “No Parking” areas. Obstructing a fire hydrant, fire lanes, vehicular and pedestrian traffic, and official bus stops will also result in citation and is subject to tow.
- Violators of the UHM Parking Regulations are subject to a fine and/or removal of their motor vehicle at the owner’s expense. Delinquent or repeat offenses may warrant further disciplinary action.
- All persons operating a motor vehicle on UHM property are required to comply with the City & County of Honolulu Traffic Code and all UHM Parking Regulations.
- The University is not responsible or liable for fire, theft, damages to motor vehicles or any contents therein when parked or operated on campus.
- Giving false information and/or falsifying supporting documents when applying for a parking permit constitutes a violation of these regulations and shall invalidate the issuance of the permit.
* Regulations listed here are excerpts from the official UHM Regulations which are available at the Commuter Services offices.
Regulations Regarding Parking Permits
- Only one permit per vehicle type may be purchased per person and is to be used solely for the vehicle for which it is issued
- Proper permits/passes must be displayed at all times in plain view.
- Cars and trucks: on the dashboard or rear-view mirror;
- Motorcycles and mopeds: affixed on the left handlebar.
- A Surface permit/pass designates a specific parking zone where the vehicle may be parked; it does not, however, guarantee a space in that specific Surface parking area. Permit holders are always guaranteed a space in the Lower Campus Parking Structure (Zone 20).
- A permit for a Surface lot is not transferable to any other Surface lot, but may be used to park in the Lower Campus Parking Structure (Zone 20).
- Student permits may only be used to park in the designated zone, unless out of zone parking is permissible (see final regulation below).
- All valid parking permits are issued solely by the authority of UHM Commuter Services.
- The use or possession of a(n) invalid, expired, counterfeit, altered, defaced, illegally transferred, or stolen permit/pass is prohibited and will result in a citation and/or towing.
- Permit requirement is enforced Monday – Saturday, except during State Holidays and special events*.
- Evening permits may park in Zone 20 after 1:30pm until midnight and/or in surface lots after 4pm – 6:30am Monday – Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday, and State Holidays. No overnight parking allowed in structure (zone 20) at any time.
- Vehicles displaying valid permits are allowed to park out of zone between 4pm – 6:30am Monday – Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday, and State Holidays*. Out of zone parking not allowed in areas reserved for special events/conditions.
*Zone 8, 19, 21 permit requirement enforced 24 hours daily and reserved for respective permit holders only (no out of zone parking allowed except for Medical Permits).