UH Mānoa’s Parking Regulations are in place to ensure the safety and convenience of our campus community. All individuals who drive and/or park on campus must observe these rules at all times. Vehicles in violation will be subject to citation and fines and/or towing. Students found to be in violation of these policies may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.
List of 12 Regulations *:
- UHM Parking Regulations are in effect 24 hours daily throughout the year.
- Observe all officially posted signs regarding traffic and parking control.
- All motor vehicles parking on University property must have either a valid UHM parking permit/pass, a daily permit/pass, or a receipt ticket from a Pay Station. Permits are non-transferable between persons and are required from Monday – Friday, including Green Days (except during State Holidays and special events). Zone 8, 19, and 21 permit requirements are enforced 24 hours daily, including Hawaii State Holidays, and reserved for respective permit holders only (no out of zone parking allowed, except for Medical Permits).
- Proper permits/passes must be displayed at all times in plain view:
In cars and trucks –
- window clings must be affixed to inside of lower right or left corner of a vehicle’s windshield facing out
- hangtags must be displayed on rear-view mirror facing out
- dashboard passes must be entirely displayed on the dashboard with permit information visibly displayed (permit number, duration of permit, zone)
- Receipt ticket from Pay Station in driver side corner of dashboard face up
On motorcycles or mopeds –
- must be affixed on the left handlebar or rear bumper. License plates and safety checks must remain fully visible
- A permit/pass designates a specific parking zone where the vehicle may be parked; it does not, however, guarantee a space in that specific University parking area.
- The use or possession of an invalid, expired, counterfeit, altered, defaced, illegally transferred, or stolen permit/pass or receipt ticket is prohibited and will result in a citation.
- Parking is permitted only in areas clearly marked and specified by Commuter Services.
- Parking is prohibited in areas including, but not limited to, lawns, planted areas, grounds under repair, median strips, sidewalks, driveways, crosswalks, red curbs, and “No Parking” areas. Obstructing a fire hydrant, fire lanes, vehicular and pedestrian traffic, and official bus stops will also result in citation and is subject to tow.
- Violators of the UHM Parking Regulations are subject to a fine and/or tow of their motor vehicle at the owner’s expense. Delinquent or repeat offenses may warrant further disciplinary action.
- All persons operating a motor vehicle on UHM property are required to comply with the City & County of Honolulu Traffic Code and all UHM Parking Regulations.
- The University is not responsible or liable for fire, theft, damages to motor vehicles or any contents therein when parked or operated on campus.
- Giving false information and/or falsifying supporting documents when applying for a parking permit constitutes a violation of these regulations and shall invalidate the issuance of the permit.
* Regulations listed here are excerpts from the official UHM Regulations which are available at the Commuter Services office.
Regulations Regarding Parking Permits and Pay Station Receipts
- Pay Station receipt tickets may only be used in Visitor lot green striped stalls before 4:00pm weekdays. After 4:00pm, paid parking is allowed in all marked non-reserved surface lot stalls.
- A Pay Station receipt ticket purchased in one visitor lot may be used in another visitor lot’s green stalls except some visitor lots, which have a 3 hour time limit. Check signage in each lot to determine if there is a time limit.
- Only one type of car and motorcycle permit may be purchased per person, and is to be used solely by the person and registered vehicle(s) for which it is issued
- Proper permits/passes must be displayed at all times in plain view.
- Cars and trucks: on the dashboard or rear-view mirror;
- Motorcycles and mopeds: affixed on the left handlebar.
- A Surface (non-Zone 20 or Zone 22 Structure) permit/pass designates a specific parking zone where the vehicle may be parked; it does not, however, guarantee a space in that specific Surface parking area. Surface permit holders are allowed to park in the Lower Campus Parking Structure Zone 20, except during certain special events.
- Student Zone 08 and 21 permits are considered Housing Permits, and cannot be used to park in the Zone 20 parking structure, except when out of zone parking is permissible.
- An employee permit for a Surface zone is not usable in any other Surface zone Monday-Friday 6:30am – 4:00pm, but may be used to park in the Lower Campus Parking Structure Zone 20.
- Vehicles displaying valid permits are allowed to park out of zone, i.e. another zone from 4pm – 6:30am Monday – Friday and all day on Saturday, Sunday, and State Holidays.* Out of zone parking is not allowed in areas reserved for special events/conditions.
- Student permits may only be used to park in the designated zone, unless out of zone parking is permissible*.
- All valid parking permits are issued solely by the authority of UHM Commuter Services.
- The use or possession of an invalid, expired, counterfeit, altered, defaced, illegally transferred, or stolen permit/pass is prohibited and will result in a citation and/or towing.
- Permit requirement is enforced Monday – Friday, except during State Holidays and special events*.
- Afternoon permits may park in Zone 20 after 12pm until midnight and/or in surface zones after 4pm – 6:30am Monday – Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday, and State Holidays. No overnight parking allowed in structure (zone 20) at any time.
*Zone 8, 19, and 21 permit requirements are enforced 24 hours daily, including Hawaii State Holidays, and reserved for respective permit holders only (no out of zone parking allowed except for Medical Permits). Special events use specific passes for those events.