Professor, East Asian Languages & Literatures
Lincoln Annex 2, Room 5: 956-6853
Department: 956-8940; Fax: 956-9515
BA 1981, University of Massachusetts
MA 1983, Stanford University
PhD 1986, Stanford University
Professor McCraw’s research interests include: classical (Chinese) poetry, women and old poetry, Buddhist literature, ancient rhetoric, classical (Chinese) grammar and morphology. His books have treated, respectively, lyricists of the seventeenth century, the poetry of Du Fu, women and classical verse, Buddhist temples, and chiasmus and old Chinese literature.
- Chn 101, 102 Elementary Mandarin
- Chn 461, 462 Elementary Classical Chinese
- Chn 481, 482 History of Chinese Literature
- Chin 603C Bibliography
- Chn 610B C D, 753T Seminars in Chinese Poetry
- Chn 661, 662 Advanced Classical Chinese
- EALL 361, 362 Traditional Chinese Literature in Translation
- Chinese Lyricists of the Seventeenth Century . Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1990.
- Du Fu’s Laments from the South . Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1992.
- How the Chinawoman Lost Her Voice. Sino-Platonic Papers 16:1992, 28pp.
- Yi kong wei zhong: Interstanzaic Translation’s Place in Soong Lyrics. Sung-Yuan Studies . 24: 1994. Pp. 143-163.
- Pursuing Zhuangzi as Rhymester. Sino-Platonic Papers 67:1995, 40pp.
- Three Lyrics by Nalan Singde. (trans.) The Columbia Anthology of Poetry . Mair, Victor (ed.) Columbia University Press, 1995. Pp. 522-523.
- Women and Old Chinese Poetry. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1996.
- Out from Qing Boudoirs. Constructions and Confrontations: Changing Representations of Women and Feminisms, East and West . Bacchilega, Cristina & Moore, Cornelia (eds.) Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1996. Pp. 121-139.
- Hanging by a Thread: Li He’s Deviant Closures. CLEAR . 18: 1996. Pp. 23-44.
- Fugue and Flight in Ancient Chinese Poetry. Tamkang Review . 29: 1999. Pp. 21-43.
- The Poetry of Su Shi and the Humor of Resistance. Proceedings of the ASPAC Conference . 1999. 10pp.
- Six Lyrics by Gu Taiqing (with critical biography). (trans.) Chinese Women Poets: An Anthology of Poetry and Criticism . Sun Chang, Kang-I (ed.) Yale University Press, 1999. Pp. 589-603.
- Magic Precincts: Five Chinese Temples and How They Grew. (2001).
- Qing Dynasty Lyrics. The Columbia History of Traditional Chinese Literature . Mair, Victor (ed.) (Forthcoming: Columbia University Press, 2001).
- Syntacticon: The World’s Largest Classified Database of Classical Chinese Grammar Patterns. Seehttp://www.shuhai.hawaii.edu/* 2003.
- Criss-Cross: Chiasmus in Old Chinese Literature. http://www.hawaii.edu/eall/ppl/indiv/Chn/McCraw/* 2006.