There is a wide variety of financial assistance available for students and faculty pursuing Chinese studies at the University of Hawai’i. Students and faculty are encouraged to contact their departments, as well as look for national and international funding opportunities.

Overseas research and study opportunities

Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships

  • Funded by the US Department of Education
  • Open to US citizens or permanent residents
  • Undergrad or grad students at UHM combining training in Chinese language w/China-related degree
  • Summer fellowship—$2,500 stipend plus tuition up to $5,000;
  • Annual year fellowship—$15,000 stipend and tuition for grads; $5,000 stipend and tuition for undergrads
  • Application deadline: February 2018
  • For questions, contact Chizuko Allen at 956-2210 or

UH—Peking University (Beida) Exchange Program

  • Funded jointly by UH and Peking University
  • Open only to UH PhD students in Chinese Studies
  • Covers housing at Beida, a stipend for living expenses, access to the library, and advising by Beida faculty if desired (but not airfare)
  • Tenure can range from a week to a year
  • Application deadline: January 25, 2019
  • Download and complete the application

Eu Tong Sen Fellowship at the Chinese University of Hong Kong

  • Funded by Honolulu residents Eddy and Peggy Eu, in honor of Mr. Eu Tong Sen, pharmaceutics manufacturer, of Hong Kong
  • Supports one semester of study (Fall or Spring) by any UHM graduate student at CUHK
  • Enroll in 10 credit hours of any China-related course offered by CUHK, or conduct research
  • Includes full tuition plus about $7,500 to cover airfare, books, housing, food, local transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.
  • Search for “Eu Tong Sen” at
  • Application deadline: February 2018
  • For further information, contact Chizuko Allen at 956-2210 or

Summer Study Abroad Program in Hainan

  • Intensive language study sponsored by UH Study Abroad program, in cooperation with Hainan University
  • Nine weeks in the summer earns eight Chinese language credits for Accelerated 2nd– through 4th-year Chinese.
  • Open to students at all levels
  • UH financial aid is available for eligible students
  • Application deadline: February 2018
  • For further information:

AY Study Abroad in Shanghai

Chung-fong & Grace Ning Fund for Chinese Studies

  • Funded by a donation from Honolulu residents Chung-fong & Grace Ning
  • UHM faculty and graduate students are eligible
  • Maximum grant of $1500 can support conference & research travel
  • Application deadline: January 25, 2019, for travel between March 1 and December 15, 2019.
  • Download and complete the application

Confucius China Study Plan

  • Funded by the PRC Ministry of Education
  • Students at any level may apply to study at one of many PRC universities, for between a month for study and research, and several years, leading to a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree.
  • Minimum levels on Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) exam required
  • Support includes tuition and stipend. Longer awards include airfare
  • Further information available at

Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

  • Funded by the U.S. Department of State
  • Thirteen critical foreign languages
  • Fully-funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks for U.S. citizen undergraduate and graduate students
  • Further information available at

Fulbright U.S. Student Program in China

  • 60 Study/Research Grants available.  Grants are for 10 months, starting in September or March.  UHM campus deadline is September 15th.
  • Applicants should already have a strong knowledge of Mandarin at the time of application.
  • Students in all academic fields except business, science, and technology are considered.
  • Applicants need to propose a research project, and must affiliate with a faculty member at a university in China.  Project/study sites outside of Beijing and Shanghai are prioritized.
  • Graduating seniors will audit classes at a Chinese university alongside their research project.  Graduate students (up to PhD) will focus solely on their research projects.
  • For further information contact Julienne Maeda at (808) 956-8950 or

Manoa International Exchange (MIX)

  • Opportunities in China: Fudan University & Zhejiang University
  • Fudan University —Shanghai.  Courses taught in English and Chinese are offered in Chinese Language & Culture, History & Economy, Politics & Diplomacy, Philosophy, Politics, and Chinese Business.
  • Zhejiang University —Hangzhou.  Courses taught in English and Chinese are offered in International Studies, Humanities, Social Sciences, Engineering & Information Technology, Medicine, Agriculture, and Chinese Language & Culture.
  • Study in China for a Summer, Semester, or Year.  Summer programs are 4-5 weeks, 6 credits.
  • On MIX, students continue to pay regular UHM tuition & fees, plus travel and living expenses overseas.
  • MIX is open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.
  • For further information contact George Sabo at (808) 956-4728 or


Please see the following offices for more information:

  • Center for Chinese Studies (Moore Hall 417)
  • Graduate Division (Spalding 357)
  • Office of Research Services (Sakamaki D-200)
  • R. Anderson Sutton, Dean, School of Pacific and Asian Studies (SPAS) (Moore Hall 315)

The Graduate Student Organization located in Hemenway Hall 212 maintains a computer database system that provides information on awards offered by outside agencies. There is a small fee charged for access to the information. Students are advised to inquire at their major department in addition to pursuing the information contained in this section.