Chemistry and Biochemistry stand at the crossroads of physics and biology. As biological processes are examined in ever finer detail, chemistry and biochemistry are increasingly called upon to provide the insights, techniques, and materials needed to understand the workings of living organisms, including ourselves. Majors will earn a solid foundation of scientific knowledge and experimental skills that enables specialization in research, teaching, business, or professional practice, and thus these majors are popular for those interested in biomedical careers.
To apply as a freshman, transfer, international, or second bachelor’s degree student visit Undergraduate Admissions to get started.
Chemistry Major and Minor Requirements
Students should check with the Undergraduate Chemistry Advisors for a complete list of the current degree requirements. In addition to the Chemistry degree requirements, students must also complete the UH Manoa Core Requirements.
BA Chem Degree Requirements
1. CHEM 272/272L, 273/273L, 274/274L, 351, 352/352L and either 425/425L or 445/445L
2. MATH 243 (Calculus III)
3. PHYS 170/170L, and 272/272L
4. Recommended languages: German, French, Russian, or Japanese
Sample 4-Year Plan: Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry 4 Yr Plan
BS Chem Degree Requirements
In addition to the BA Chem requirements, BS Chem students have the additional requirements of
1. CHEM 425/425L, 427 and 445/445L
2. A minimum of 3 credits from Chem 372, BIOL 402/MBBE 402/PEPS 402 or BIOC 441
3. A minimum of 3 credits from CHEM 399, 601, 602, 621, 622, 623, 641, 642, 643, 651, 652, 653, or 657, HON 493 and 4945.
4. Recommended electives: Math Calculus IV and PHYS 274
Sample 4-Year Plan: Bachelor of Science in Chemistry 4 Yr Plan
CHEM Minor* Requirements
18 credit hours: CHEM 272/272L + 273/273L + 274/274L + 351
*CHEM and BIOC majors cannot opt for a CHEM minor
Biochemistry Major Requirements
Students should check with the Undergraduate Biochem Advisors for a complete list of the current degree requirements.
BA BIOC Degree Requirements
1. CHEM 272/272L, 273/273L, 274/274L, 372, and 361 or 351 and 352.
2. BIOL 172/172L, 275/275L, 402
3. MATH 242 (Calculus II)
4. PHYS 170/170L, and 272/272L
5. At least 10 elective credits including 1 laboratory course.
Sample 4-Year Plan: Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry 4 Yr Plan
BS BIOC Degree Requirements
In addition to the BA Bioc requirements, BS Bioc students have the additional requirements of
1. CHEM 462 and 463L
2. At least 4 additional elective credits including 1 more laboratory course. Of their electives, at least 1 course must be from the Chemistry Electives and 2 courses must be from the Biology Electives.
Sample 4-Year Plan: Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry 4 Yr Plan
1. CHEM 351, 352/352L, 380, 399, 425/425L, 427, and 445/445L
1. MICR 351/351L, 431/431L, 461/461L, 463/463L, 475/475L, 490/490L
2. BIOL 375/375L, BIOL 407, BIOL 407
3. BIOL/MBBE 401, 406, 483
4. MBBE 412, 480
5. ZOOL 430/430L, 442
The program outcomes for the BS and BA degrees in Chemistry are:
- understand macroscopic properties of materials as manifestations of the properties of atoms and molecules,
- understand principles and practices of measurement, and both quantitative and qualitative analysis,
- use mechanistic reasoning to understand and predict reactivity and stereochemistry; use these principles for the preparation of new materials,
- develop laboratory skills in preparation, purification, and characterization of materials,
- understand principles and practices of documentation, interpretation of experimental data and communication of results; be familiar with modern literature search and retrieval techniques.