The Shidler College of Business offers a professional, upper division program designed to give students a broad liberal arts background and a sound education in the essentials of business management. The BBA degree program, therefore, is comprised of three integral parts: (a) general education, (b) business fundamentals, and (c) a specialized major area of business. Students may select a major that complements their interests, aptitude, and career goals from such fields as accounting, entrepreneurship, finance, human resources management, international business, management, management information systems, and marketing. A double major and/or minor are also options.
The Shidler Freshman Direct Admit Program (DAP)
The Shidler Freshman Direct Admit Program (DAP) is designed for high achieving incoming freshmen who wish to enter the Shidler College of Business early and get a head start. It is an option for outstanding high school seniors entering UH Manoa in the fall. Selective admission for the Shidler Freshman Direct Admit Program is highly competitive and merit-based.
On your UH Manoa application, simply designate “Pre-Business” or any specific business major as your first choice major, and you will automatically be considered for the Shidler DAP. No separate application is necessary. Shidler DAP students are eligible for a scholarship upon enrollment.
Students transfer into the Shidler College of Business upon the successful completion of the following admission requirements:
- Minimum of 60 credit hours of college-level work (junior standing);
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all courses attempted (combined UH Mânoa and transfer GPA from all other colleges attended) and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at UH Mânoa (if courses have been attempted at UH Mânoa). If a student has earned 30 credits at UH Mânoa (all 30 credits must be taken for a letter grade), with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher, then the transfer GPA will not be used to determine admission.
- Completion of the following pre-business courses with a combined GPA of at least 2.5, with no grade below C. (C- grades will not be accepted for admission.) Pre-business courses: ENG 100 or ESL 100 or ENG 190, or ENG 200; COMG 151 or 251; ACC 200 and 201; NREM 203 or BUS 250 or MATH 203, 215, 241, or 251A; and ECON 130 and 131;
- Minimum grade of C in ICS 101 or LTEC 112 and 113 (or equivalent); and
- If three or more business courses (or equivalents) beyond the pre-business courses (e.g., business law, statistics, management, etc.) have been attempted, a combined GPA of at least 2.5 is required.
Important: The Social Sciences Diversification requirement in the General Education Core is met by completing ECON 130, 131 and PSY 100 or SOC 100 (which is the prerequisite to BUS 315 in the business core).
Students currently enrolled as classified students at UH Manoa can apply to the Shidler College of Business at shidler.hawaii.edu/undergradapp.
Non-UH Manoa students or unclassified students enrolled in Outreach College must submit the System Application Form to the Office of Admissions, 2600 Campus Road, Room 001, Honolulu, HI 96822 (or visit the website at manoa.hawaii.edu/admissions/).
The priority application deadlines for classified UH Manoa students are October 1 and the final deadline is November 1 for the spring semester. The priority deadline is March 1 and the final deadline is April 1 for the fall semester.
New and transfer students should consult with the UH Manoa Office of Admissions for the application deadlines. Information is available online or call (808) 956-8975.
- Completion of 120 non-repeated credit hours, including the General Education Core Requirements (see the “Undergraduate General Education Requirements” section for more information) and the following college curriculum requirements:
a. Pre-business courses (see “Admission Requirements”);
b. Required business courses: BLAW 200, BUS 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 345;
c. Requirements for the major;
d. BUS 209, ENG 209, 306, or 307;
e. An upper division course in international business; and
f. 9 credits of non-major elective courses beyond the introductory level (must include 3 non-business credits, 6 upper division elective credits), which may include a minor and up to 3 credits of BUS 395.
- GPA of 2.0 in all UH Manoa registered credits hours.
- GPA of 2.0 in all required business courses (and their equivalents) and Shidler College major courses completed at UH Manoa.
- Grades of C- or higher in any required business courses (and their equivalents) and Shidler College major courses completed at UH Manoa.
- Residency requirements for BBA degree include both:
a. University residency requirement of 30 credit hours at UH Manoa and
b. Minimum of eight upper division business courses (24 credit hours), including a minimum of three courses (9 credit hours) in the student’s major and BUS 345, after admission to Shidler College.
Students interested in applying to Shidler College should contact the Office of Student Academic Services for current information on admission and program requirements.
Modification of Hawaiian/Second Language Requirement for Shidler College Students
Shidler College students must complete one or a combination of the following options to satisfy the Hawaiian/Second language requirement:
- A four-semester sequence of a single language (or proven competency via a language requirement waiver or completion of 202/212);
- Participation in a study abroad or international exchange program of 12 credits or more during the fall or spring;
- 12 credits of international culture/area courses, from one culture of study, to be chosen from an approved list of H/SL courses available at www.shidler.hawaii.edu/forms.
- Four semesters of language and culture study. The language and culture groups do not need to match.
See appropriate departments in this Catalog for specific major requirements leading to a BBA degree.
Sequence of Courses
Shidler College undergraduates are required to take BUS 310 and 311 in their first semester in the Shidler College. BUS 345 as a capstone course is taken in the final graduating semester pending successful completion of all pre-requisites: BLAW 200, BUS 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, and 315. Shidler College students must consult the course descriptions in this Catalog for prerequisites and proper sequencing of business and major courses toward graduation.
Minimum Standards for GPA
The minimum acceptable academic performance for Shidler College undergraduates at UH Manoa is (a) cumulative UH Manoa GPA of 2.0; (b) GPA of 2.0 in all required business courses (and their equivalents) and Shidler College major courses completed at UH Manoa; (c) Grades of C- or higher in any required business courses (and their equivalents) and Shidler College major courses completed at UH Manoa.
Shidler College students are placed on probation at the end of any semester for any of the following reasons:
- The student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0
- The student’s GPA in required business core and major courses falls below 2.0
- The student fails to complete BUS 310 and 311 in the first semester in the Shidler College with a grade of C- or higher.
- Satisfactory progress toward graduation is not being made. Continued probation may lead to suspension.
Students on probation will be required to meet with their academic advisor.
Students may pursue a double major to enhance their educational spectrum and professional marketability. To qualify for a double major, students must have a minimum cumulative UH Manoa GPA of 3.0 and a minimum UH Manoa GPA of 3.0 in each of the two proposed majors. At the time of declaration, the student must have completed at least one required course in each major. A double major shall consist of 27 or more credits which lead to a specialization in two fields of study. Courses must meet the requirements for a major in each of the fields, and may not be used to meet the general upper division electives requirement. (Note: International Business is offered only as a double major.) After successfully meeting the double major requirements, students may officially declare a double major by completing the “Business Major Declaration” form available at www.shidler.hawaii.edu/forms and submit the form to Shidler B-101.
Students completing their first two years of study at a community college or at another four-year institution should take only those business courses offered at the freshman or sophomore level (e.g., introductory accounting, business law). Business courses taught at community colleges may not be used to satisfy upper division course requirements in Shidler College (e.g., business statistics). Junior-level and senior-level business courses may be accepted from colleges accredited by the AACSB and select foreign universities.
Seniors must file a graduation application by December 31 for summer graduation, by March 1 for fall graduation, and by October 1 for spring graduation in the semester preceeding graduation. Seniors who plan to finish their program requirements during the summer session will need to indicate on their graduation application if they would prefer their name to be printed in the spring commencement program or the fall commencement program. Application forms and deadline information is available online at shidler.hawaii.edu/GradApp.
Shidler College strictly enforces a three-week withdrawal deadline for upper-division business classes. Please note that this deadline is not the same for non-business classes. In general, exceptions regarding late drop requests will not be granted.
Shidler College students may choose to pursue a multiple major/degree in any other UH Manoa college/school. The consideration of an additional field of study can increase knowledge, diversify perspectives, and enhance personal education as well as professional growth. Eligibility requirements include a cumulative GPA of 3.25, approval from both college advisors, and a statement of purpose from the applicant. Current Shidler College students considering a multiple degree or students interested in admission to the Shidler College as a multiple degree candidate should meet with an advisor in the Office of Student Academic Services to discuss individual academic programs.
Second Baccalaureate Degree
Priority for admission is given to students seeking their first undergraduate business degree. Shidler College welcomes students pursuing a second bachelor’s degree, however, students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree in business will be denied admission to Shidler College of Business. Students should complete the application form (available online) and submit the appropriate required documents to the Office of Admissions in QLCSS 001 or call (808) 956-8975.
Shidler College students may choose a minor offered in another UH Manoa college/school to complement their business program. A minor course of study consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours of non-introductory or upper division course work that is completed with a grade of C (not C-) or better. Shidler College students may use a minor to replace the general upper division electives requirement. Minor course work must be approved by the respective department advisor.
Minor in Business Administration
The Shidler College offers a minor in Business Administration to non-business majors. This minor will provide students with a greater understanding of business in preparation for their entrance into the workforce. Applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- Classified undergraduate student not enrolled in the Shidler College of Business
- Junior standing (60 or more college-level credits)
- 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Completion of the following courses with a C (not C-) or better, as well as a combined 2.50 GPA:
a. ICS 101 or LTEC 112 and 113 (or equivalent)
b. ECON 120 or 130 or 131
c. ACC 200 or 201
d. Calculus (or equivalent: NREM 203 or MATH 203, 215, 241, 251A, or BUS 250) or Statistics (or equivalent: NREM 310 or ECON 321 or PSY 225 or SOCS 225)
e. PSY 100 or SOC 100
For more information, please contact the Shidler College Office of Student Academic Services in BusAd B-101 or at (808) 956-8215.
For the fall semester, the priority deadline is March 1 and the final deadline is April 1. For the spring semester, the priority deadline is October 1 and the final deadline is November 1.
After admission into the minor in Business Administration program, requires include:
- Required courses (6 credits): BUS 312 and 315;
- Elective courses (9 credits): ACC 201 and either 200 or 202, BUS 310, 311, 313, or 314.
Notes: Prerequisites to business courses are strictly enforced. Exceptions to substitute business courses other than those listed, are not allowed. A minimum of 9 credits towards the Business minor must be earned at the Shidler College of Business. TIM majors cannot receive credit for BUS 312 and TIM 304, and BUS 315 and TIM 303. Please see advisors for more information.