Assistant Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education

Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 213
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-6231
Fax: (808) 956-2191
AVCUE: Ronald E. Cambra

Departments and programs: Access College Excellence, Aerospace Studies, Civic and Community Engagement, First-Year Programs, Honors Program, Interdisciplinary Studies, Learning Assistance Center, Manoa Advising Center, Manoa Catalog, Manoa Transfer Coordination Center, Military Science, Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center, Student Athlete Academic Services, Student Success Center, Student Support Services

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management

Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 214
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-3290
Fax: (808) 956-9682
AVCEM: Roxie M. Shabazz

Departments and programs: Admissions, Admissions-Campus Recruitment, Financial Aid, Registrar


Office of Admissions
Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 001
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-8975/(808) 956-7541 (Voice/Text)
Toll free (in U.S.): (800) 823-9771
Fax: (808) 956-4148


Office of the Registrar
Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 010
2600 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-8010
Fax: (808) 956-7830

Admission requirements for UH Manoa are similar to those of comparable state institutions of higher education. Applicants are advised to consult appropriate UH Manoa colleges/schools for specific information since individual academic programs may have special admission policies and procedures.

The following regulations and procedures are subject to change without prior notice. Prospective students should consult the most current Catalog and/or an advisor before applying for admission

International students should refer to “Admission of International Applicants” within this section of the Catalog.

Admission of Classified Students

Classified undergraduates are those admitted to approved programs of study leading to UH Manoa baccalaureate degrees. Students who have earned 0–29.99 credit hours are freshmen; those with 30–59.99 credit hours are sophomores; those with 60–89.99 credit hours are juniors; and those with 90 or more credit hours are seniors.

Freshmen and sophomores are lower division students, while juniors and seniors are upper division students.

Admission of Freshmen

Students applying for admission as a freshman must complete the Self-Reported Application. The initial admissions decision will be based on self reported data. Upon request from the Office of Admissions, an official transcript and official College Board (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores must be submitted. Applicants taking the General Education Development (GED) high school-equivalency test must submit GED results in addition to the Self-Reported Application. Applicants who have been home schooled must submit GED scores, or SAT subject tests (minimum of the subjects) including math, or ACT subscores in addition to the Self-Reported Application. A high rating in one area will not ensure admission, nor will poor performance in an area exclude applicants if other evidence shows they may be successful in university-level work.

SAT or ACT. Candidates for fall admission should take the SAT or ACT no later than November of their senior year in high school. Candidates for spring admission should take the test before July. Applicants must also take and submit scores of the writing test. Information is available from high school counselors or from the testing agencies. For SAT, contact College Board, P.O. Box 025505, Miami, FL 33102. For ACT, contact American College Testing Program, P.O. Box 414, Iowa City, IA 52243.

High School Record. Applicants should have grades high enough to place them in the upper 40 percent of their graduating class.

Minimum Unit Requirements. Applicants should complete 22 units of high school work (grades 9-12) of which at least 17 are college preparatory. The term “unit” means satisfactory completion of a full school year’s course of study or the equivalent in laboratory and shop exercises. A listing of courses and grades from the ninth through twelfth grades must be included. College-preparatory subjects must include at least four units in English; three in mathematics including college-preparatory geometry and second-year algebra; three in natural sciences; three in social sciences; and four additional units, which may include higher mathematics, additional science, additional social studies, and foreign language. All other courses for which the high school grants credit may be offered to satisfy the remaining unit requirements, although there should be no less than a half-unit nor more than two units in any one subject.

Students entering curricula in engineering, mathematics, and biological and physical sciences must meet the special mathematics requirements listed in the college sections of this Catalog.

Profile of Admitted Students. All applications are evaluated on an individual basis. Generally, successful applicants attain a B (not B-) average for all college-preparatory high school course work, achieve SAT scores of 510 (evidence-based reading and writing), and 510 (math) or ACT score of 22 in each section, and rank in the upper 40 percent of their graduating class.

UH Manoa accepts all Hawai‘i residents who meet UH Manoa admissions standards.

Nonresident applicants should await notice of acceptance before coming to Hawai‘i. By Board of Regents policy, the number of nonresidents admitted is limited.

Admission decisions are made independent of the availability of financial aid and housing. Students must apply separately for financial aid and housing. (See the “Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid” and “Student Life” sections of this Catalog.)

Admission of Requirements of Homeschooled Applicants

Complete homeschooled applicants are expected to meet the minimum admissions requirements indicated for freshman applicants. Please review the detailed requirements below for homeschooled applicants.

Required Documents

Complete the Self-Reported Application if your homeschool transcript reflects a traditional high school curriculum. If you are in a non-traditional program, please include a separate statement that includes titles and descriptions of all course work completed. Other additional information such as textbooks used, methods of teaching, and methods of evaluation and the resulting grades or structured assessments must be entered in the “Comment” box. If the additional information exceeds the amount of space given, attach an additional sheet to the hard copy Self-Reported Supplement or submit an email if you completed the online version.

Also, one of the following: GED scores, SAT subject tests (minimum of three subjects) including math, or ACT subscores.

Admission of Transfer Applicants

Transfer applicants are those currently or previously enrolled at a college or university other than UH Manoa. Transfer applicants include those who previously attended UH Manoa and subsequent to their UH Manoa attendance enrolled at another UH college, university, or UH Manoa. To obtain an application form, refer to “Application Procedures” within this section of the Catalog.

Applicants who have earned at least 24 semester credit hours of work or completed 12 transferable credits and have at least 12 credits in progress in courses comparable to UH Manoa offerings at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university must submit an application and have each postsecondary institution previously attended send an official transcript (including withdrawals, courses taken, and grades received) directly to the Office of Admissions. Unofficial transcripts, hand-carried transcripts, faxed transcripts, and student copies of transcripts or grade reports will not be accepted.

Applicants who have earned fewer than 24 acceptable credit hours or who have enrolled in an unaccredited institution must submit high school transcripts and official SAT or ACT scores in addition to official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions previously attended. Admission will be based on both college and high school work.

Transfer applicants are expected to present a satisfactory academic record in courses comparable to UH Manoa offerings. Nonresident candidates must present a better than average record. The number of nonresidents admitted is limited by Board of Regents policy.

Applicants enrolled at another college or university must have a final transcript submitted to the Office of Admissions at the end of the current term. Until this is received, any acceptance is provisional. Failure either to submit the transcript within a reasonable time or to complete the semester’s work satisfactorily will result in denial of admission or, in the case of registered students, cancellation of registration.

Credit hours in courses taken at U.S. regionally accredited colleges or universities that are substantially equivalent to UH Manoa offerings and in which grades of D (not D-) or better have been earned will be transferred. Grades and grade points from other institutions are not transferred. Credit/No Credit and Pass/Fail credits may be accepted if the standard for these credits is equivalent to that at UH Manoa (see “Grades” within this section of the Catalog).

However, not all transfer credits accepted will necessarily satisfy curricular requirements toward a particular degree. UH Manoa applies no more than 60 credit hours from non-UH junior or community colleges to satisfy degree requirements.

Transfers from unaccredited colleges or universities must also meet UH Manoa campus admission standards for new freshmen. Students who complete a minimum of 30 credit hours with an average of C (not C-) or better at UH Manoa may be granted credit for the courses completed at unaccredited institutions that are candidates for accreditation. These courses, which must be substantially equivalent to UH Manoa courses, will be counted only as lower division credits to a maximum of 60 credit hours.

The department or program in which the student is pursuing a degree may decide that certain courses required for the major that were taken in the past must be retaken. Courses that are declared outdated for the major will still count toward the General Education Core if they meet core requirements. Students should consult with their respective academic advisor in their major field of study for details.

International applicants should refer to “Admission of International Applicants” within this section of the Catalog.

All colleges previously attended must be disclosed. Incomplete, incorrect, or false information is subject to disciplinary measures.

Evaluating Transfer Credits

UH Manoa reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at any other institution of higher education. In general, UH Manoa accepts credits earned at institutions fully accredited by U.S. regional accrediting associations, provided that such credits are substantially equivalent to courses at UH Manoa, and have been completed with a grade of D (not D-) or better. An evaluation of transfer credits will be undertaken only after a student has been admitted to a program leading to a degree and has confirmed his or her intention to enroll.

Transfer decisions about courses taken at other UH campuses are guided by the UH Articulation Agreement. Only course credits are accepted in transfer. Grades and grade points from other institutions do not transfer to UH Manoa.

Notable Restrictions on Transfer Credit

Although all qualified courses may be transferred from two-year colleges, UH Manoa applies no more than 60 credits from non-UH community or junior colleges toward the credits required for a bachelor’s degree. Other notable restrictions on transfer credit include:

  • Courses taken out of sequence (backtracking): Credit is not awarded for lower level courses if they are taken subsequent to or concurrently with a higher level course for which there are explicit or implicit prerequisites.
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP): Credits awarded for CLEP and AP examinations do not count toward meeting the 24-credit requirement for admission as a transfer student nor do they exempt other applicants from submitting SAT/ACT scores and high school transcripts.
  • Correspondence school credit: No more than 30 credits of correspondence course work from regionally accredited U.S. colleges and universities will be accepted in transfer.
  • Life experience: UH Manoa does not award credits for life experience. By individual arrangement, enrolled students may arrange for credit by examination.
  • Military service or schooling: Course work taken through military schools may be considered for credit with the consent of the appropriate UH Manoa department. The student’s DD-214 or DD-295 form or American Council of Education (ACE) Registry transcript must be submitted. Credits awarded for military schooling do not count toward meeting the 24-credit requirement for admission as a transfer student nor exempt other applicants from submitting SAT/ACT scores and high school transcripts.
  • Courses with nontraditional grades: Courses completed with nontraditional grades such as CR (credit), P (pass), S (satisfactory) may be transferable only if the grade represents a D (not D-) or better. Generally, courses with nontraditional grades will be accepted as elective credit only and will not fulfill UH Manoa, college, school, or departmental requirements.
  • Courses receiving no credit: Courses not accepted for transfer credit include (but are not limited to) the following:
    • Courses from unaccredited institutions: Course work taken at any institution not fully accredited by a regional U.S. accrediting association is not transferable. After completing a minimum of 30 credits at UH Manoa with a GPA of 2.0 or better, a student may be granted credit for course work completed at unaccredited institutions which were candidates for accreditation at the time of the student’s attendance there. No more than 60 credits from such institutions may be applied to degree requirements at UH Manoa.
    • Developmental or remedial courses
    • Repeated or duplicate courses: Transfer credit is generally not awarded for courses that duplicate material for which academic credit has already been given. Credit will not be awarded for a repeated course in which a passing grade was previously earned, nor for more than one version of a cross-listed course.
    • Courses that provide instruction in a particular religious doctrine
    • Vocational or technical courses
    • Mathematics courses considered below college level: courses include (but are not limited to) basic math and business math.

Admission of International Applicants

International students wishing to apply should request an application and a form called “Supplementary Information for International Students.” The deadline is January 5 for fall admission and September 1 for spring admission. If admitted, international students must receive two clearances in order to register: (1) University Health Services clearance documenting adherence with health regulations, and (2) International Student Services (ISS) clearance documenting adherence to international student regulations and proof of adequate health insurance. Note: International applicants with a non-immigrant visa status other than student status should contact the ISS. Federal restrictions on full-time study may apply.

Additional Requirements

Transcripts. In addition to the application, applicants must present evidence of having completed or received the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma. Official transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary work must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by each institution attended. Certified photocopies of the certificates and results of any qualifying examinations (e.g., General Certificate of Education) must also be submitted. Certified English translations must be attached to documents and transcripts written in a foreign language.

Applicants enrolled in a secondary school or another college or university must have a final transcript submitted to the Office of Admissions at the end of the current term. Until this is received, any acceptance is provisional. Failure to submit the transcript or to complete the semester’s/year’s work satisfactorily will result in denial of admission and/or cancellation of registration.

Examinations. Applicants also must submit official results of the SAT or American College Test (ACT) (see “SAT or ACT”) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). These examinations are normally required of all foreign applicants, including students who either have been admitted to or have matriculated at other universities. SAT applications may be obtained by writing to the College Board, P.O. Box 025505, Miami, FL 33102. ACT applications may be obtained by writing to the American College Testing Program, P.O. Box 414, Iowa City, IA 52243. TOEFL applications may be obtained by writing to Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541.

ACT or SAT Exemptions. Students who have earned at least 24 semester hours of acceptable credits–excluding English Language Institute and/or English as a Second Language courses–are exempt from submitting the ACT or SAT results. The credits must have been completed at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university and must be equivalent to UH Manoa offerings.

TOEFL Requirements and Exemptions. Applicants are required to score a minimum of 61 (internet-based), 173 (computer-based), or 500 (paper-based) on the TOEFL. The following applicants are exempt from the TOEFL examination: (a) those whose native language is English; (b) those who hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, or New Zealand; (c) those who score 510 or better on the verbal and 510 or better on the writing sections of the SAT; (d) those who score 22 in English and 22 in reading sections of the ACT; (e) those who have completed six years of continuous schooling through the high school or college level in American Samoa and/or Guam and in one of the countries listed above under (b); (f) those who have completed English composition at a regionally accredited U.S. institution with a D or better grade; or (g) those who completed at least three years of high school in Hawai‘i with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and SAT critical reading of 460 and SAT writing of 460. Admission to summer ELI classes does not imply a waiver of the TOEFL exam for fall or spring semester admission.

English Language Institute. International and immigrant students who are admitted to UH Manoa and whose native language is not English are referred to the English Language Institute to determine if they must take the ELI placement tests and the Manoa Writing Placement examination. If a student does not fulfill this obligation, ELI will place a hold on the student’s registration. Please contact the Department of Second Language Studies for additional information. (See the “ELI” section of this Catalog)

Admission of International Exchange Students

Students matriculating at a university outside the U.S. may apply for admission as an international exchange student in the third or fourth year of study, through the Manoa International Exchange (MIX). Admission may be granted for a maximum of two semesters as a “Visiting Student.” Priority is given to students from institutions with a formal exchange agreement with UH; however, other qualified students from any foreign institution may also be considered.

Those sponsored by their home government or an external scholarship program such as Fulbright or Rotary International may also be admitted as exchange students, either as a classified, degree seeking student, or as a non-degree visiting student. Exchange students may enter the U.S. under either the F-1 or J-1 visa, depending on the funding source and preferences of the sponsoring agency.

Exchange students must submit standard admission materials, official TOEFL scores of 68 (internet-based), 190 (computer-based), or 520 (paper-based) unless exempt (see “Admission of International Applicants” for exemption criteria), and for those engaged in non-degree study, a special MIX application. For further information, contact International Student Services, Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services, 2600 Campus Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, or visit

Admission of Returning Students

A student who experiences a break in enrollment at UH Manoa without having taken an approved leave of absence or who has been suspended or dismissed must apply for readmission. A student who has attended another college or university, or UH campus subsequent to attendance at UH Manoa must apply as a transfer student (see “Admission of Transfer Applicants”). Readmission is not automatic because of enrollment limitations and changes in academic regulations. Students who are readmitted will be subject to the General Education Core, major, and graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Questions concerning readmission should be directed to the student academic services office in the college/school to which the student is applying.

Admission of Unclassified Students

Persons who wish to take UH Manoa courses but do not wish to enroll in degree programs may apply for admission as unclassified students through the Office of Admissions. Undergraduate applicants must meet the admission standards for a regular classified, degree seeking undergraduate. Post-baccalaureate applicants should contact the Graduate Division.

Classified applicants receive admission priority; thus, unclassified applicants may be denied admission because of enrollment restrictions.

Persons interested only in taking courses offered by Outreach College should refer to the “Outreach College” section of the Catalog, (808) 956-7221,

High School/Dual Enrollment Program

High school students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement, have completed most of their high school graduation requirements, and can no longer benefit from high school offerings may enroll concurrently in UH Manoa courses while enrolled in high school. Eligibility is restricted to high school juniors and seniors.

Students wishing to take advantage of this program should follow the procedures for “Admission of Freshmen.” Eligible students must present outstanding high school grades and SAT or ACT scores, be recommended by school authorities, and have the permission of their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the High School/Dual Enrollment Program.

Regular UH Manoa admission deadlines, normal tuition and fee schedules, course prerequisites, and admission requirements other than high school graduation also apply to the High School/Dual Enrollment Program.

Application Procedures

To obtain admissions related information, prospective students should consult their high school counselors (in Hawai‘i) or write to the Office of Admissions, 2600 Campus Road Room 001, Honolulu, HI 96822. The application is available online ( The application is valid only for the semester specified. For deadline information, refer to the “Calendar.”

For information regarding application procedures for non-U.S. citizens and/or nonnative speakers of English, refer to “International Admission Process.”


The admission application initial deadline for the fall semester is January 5; the final deadline is March 1. The initial deadline for the spring semester is September 1; the final deadline is October 1. Some professional schools and individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Consult the appropriate student academic services dean for specific deadlines.

In addition to the application form, applicants must submit official test scores and arrange to have official transcripts of all schools, colleges, universities, business, and postsecondary schools attended sent directly from each institution involved by the appropriate deadline. Unofficial transcripts, hand-carried transcripts, faxed transcripts, and student copies of transcripts or grade reports will not be accepted. All other required credentials, as noted in the application, should also be sent with the application form. No applications, even those received before the closing date, will be acted upon after enrollment is filled for a program. Applications and documents submitted to UH Manoa are deemed the property of UH Manoa and therefore will not be returned to the applicant nor be available for copying.

Application Fee

Applications must be accompanied by a nonrefundable, nontransferable application fee. The application and fee are valid only for the semester specified on the application.

Special Instructions

Student Identification Numbers

UH Manoa will issue student identification numbers at the point of acceptance and intent to enroll to all students for use as his or her permanent identification.

Student Ethnicity Data

Students are urged to supply racial/ethnic information on applications and other forms when requested, since UH Manoa must provide a number of federal, state, and educational agencies with this data each year. Whenever such information is lacking, UH Manoa personnel must make an educated guess. Self-identification is preferable.

Email Correspondence

Electronic mail is a Board of Regents approved communications method. Email communications to students will be sent to email addresses submitted on the students’ admissions application. Email communications will be sent to the student’s University of Hawai‘i email address after the student’s user account has been established.

Change of Address

Students are responsible for keeping UH Manoa’s Office of the Registrar (Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services 010) informed of their correct address (i.e., mailing, permanent, email, etc.). Change of address may also be completed through the MyUH Services at


By UH Manoa policy, all applicants for admission are required to list all current and previous enrollment in any postsecondary institution on the application form. Applicants for admission who fail to inform UH Manoa of such enrollment at the time of application or who submit, or have submitted on their behalf, any required information or document that is inaccurate, incorrect, or fraudulent or that has been altered without proper authorization may be denied admission to UH Manoa. If the omissions and/or alterations are discovered after the student is enrolled, the student’s admission may be rescinded and his or her enrollment canceled. Credits earned at any unreported college or school are not accepted in transfer. The student or prospective student may also be referred to the Student Conduct Committee for possible disciplinary action.


Academic Advising

Academic advising at UH Manoa is an expression of our educational mission and ideals. Advising helps students to integrate and discern meaning from the many facets of their academic journey and to locate their unique journey within the context of their hopes, dreams, abilities, goals, interests, and in fact, within the full trajectory of their lives. Advising conveys higher education’s modes of thinking, learning, and decision making, teaches students to think critically about their roles and responsibilities, and encourages students to become active members in our higher education community as well as leaders in our global community.

Overseen by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education and coordinated through the Council of Academic Advisors, academic advising is college- and school-based: the students’ primary connection remains with their academic unit.

UH Manoa provides academic advising for undergraduate students through the student academic services office in their college/school. In addition, students can log onto the STAR system via MyUH Services ( to see how courses taken might fulfill degree requirements. STAR is an advising tool that allows students to manage their academic course work, but should not be considered a substitute for meeting with advisors to verify degree requirements. Academic advisors bring to their responsibilities as educators not only knowledge of academic disciplines, but also understanding of the rationale that underlies the curricula of the colleges/schools and UH Manoa. Students are strongly encouraged to seek advising assistance early in their academic journeys.

Academic advising involves

  • Assisting students in clarifying, articulating, and attaining academic and life goals;
  • Facilitating students’ adjustment to the campus;
  • Educating students on how to develop educational plans and assess their academic progress;
  • Explaining and clarifying requirements, policies, and procedures;
  • Encouraging students to think critically about their roles and responsibilities as students and as members of a democratic and global community;
  • Helping students locate and access available resources and to engage in the UH Manoa community;
  • Counseling students on personal issues as they relate to academic progress; and
  • Serving as advocates and mediators for students.

College/school advisors complement departmental advisors, who are specialists in their subjects. Departmental advisors advise on major requirements, available opportunities, career options, and graduate or professional degrees in their discipline. Students can locate their academic advisors at

Mandatory Advising and Declaration of Majors

All students will benefit from two major academic policies related to advising. First, they will receive mandatory advising every semester for their first two years. Second, students are strongly encouraged to declare their major prior to the start of their junior year to develop an efficient academic plan and graduate in a timely manner. These policies were introduced to encourage early identification of potential majors, support efficient graduation, and promote each student’s engagement in his or her academic journey.


Registration and Enrollment

Registration Procedures

Registration is open to those students officially admitted to UH Manoa by the appropriate admissions office and to students in good standing who are continuing in an approved program of study. Students who have graduated, withdrawn, or have not been continuously enrolled must complete the admission process before being permitted to register. New, transfer, and returning classified students who are admitted to UH Manoa are required to pay a nonrefundable, nontransferable tuition deposit to confirm their admitted status. Admitted students may be barred from registration until they have complied with all UH requirements, including but not limited to, medical clearances, the purchase of health insurance by nonimmigrant foreign students, and required English language placement testing. Students may also be barred from registering until they have cleared all academic or financial obligations.

Students are assigned specific appointment times in which to register. All registration activity is conducted by personal computer through the World Wide Web. The MyUH Services website at provides the UH community with secure, personalized access to enrollment services such as registration. Each student’s registration time will be available through MyUH Services approximately two weeks before registration.

Information on registration procedures is contained with the Office of the Registrar at, which includes registration dates and instructions. The listing of course offerings with up-to-date class location and meeting times is found at the Class Availability website:

Unclassified students and auditors register after classified students.


Auditors are regularly admitted students who enroll for informational instruction only, and attend classes with the consent of the instructor. Auditors receive no credit, and they do not take course examinations. The extent of their classroom participation is at the instructor’s discretion. Auditors are not generally allowed in art studios, laboratory science, mathematics, elementary and intermediate Hawaiian and foreign languages, creative writing, English composition, physical education, communicology and other performance courses, or in classes where they might displace credit students. Audit courses are entered on student transcripts with a grade of L and are subject to regular tuition and fee charges. Audit courses are not counted in determining a student’s enrollment status.

Late Registration

Students who register on the first day of instruction or later shall be assessed a late registration fee.

Maximum Registration

Undergraduate students who request enrollment in 20 or more credit hours of work in any semester must obtain special approval from their college student academic services office and process their changes during the Change of Registration period after instruction begins. Students may not register for courses in Outreach College, for credit or audit, in excess of the maximum registration allowed by the college/school in which they are enrolled unless given permission for an overload by the college/school.

Enrollment Status

For academic purposes, students may be classified as either part-time or full-time students. A full-time undergraduate carries a minimum of 12 credit hours. Undergraduate students carrying fewer than 12 credits are classified as part-time. Audited courses are not counted in determining the enrollment status of a student.

Change of College or Major

Classified students may apply for transfer from one college to another during the fall or the spring semester. Application for transfer must be made on a form supplied by the student academic services office of the college/school that the student wishes to enter. The application must be approved by the dean of that college/school. Deadlines for transfers within UH Manoa are determined by individual student academic services offices. Contact the college/school directly for deadlines. Students planning to transfer into professional schools should consult the dean’s office for deadlines. Students wishing to enter the College of Education should follow the procedures specific to that college.

Changes of college, school, curriculum, or major are not permitted during registration periods.

Unclassified students who wish to become degree candidates must complete the regular application process.

Changes in Registration

All deadlines for adding courses, partial withdrawal, or complete withdrawal are subject to change. Refer to the Guide to Registration for procedures. See “Calendar” for applicable dates.

To Add a Course

Courses may be added until the last day to register/add courses/change grading options.

To Drop a Course (Partial Withdrawal)

A course may be dropped without notation on the student’s record until the last day to drop courses. Thereafter, grades of W will be posted. The colleges/schools differ in their policies, but, in general, a course may be dropped until the last day for restricted withdrawals with the consent of the instructor and the approval of the student’s college/school dean.

After the last day for restricted withdrawals, no withdrawals are permitted except for unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. These withdrawals require the consent of the student’s college/school dean, and consent may be given only after the dean consults the instructor.

If students do not officially complete the withdrawal procedure, an F or NC, as appropriate, may be awarded by the instructor in place of a passing grade.

Complete Withdrawal

Students occasionally find, for a wide variety of reasons, that they are unable to complete the semester and need to withdraw completely from the university. Students should note that once school starts, they have incurred a financial obligation to the university. Withdrawing completely from UH Manoa does not release the student from his or her financial obligations.

Prior to the first day of instruction, no course registration will appear on their records, and the students will incur no financial obligation for tuition and fees.

From the first day of instruction through the last day to drop courses, students withdrawing completely from UH Manoa will have a withdrawal action noted on their records. No courses will be listed for that semester.

After the last day to drop courses, students withdrawing completely from UH Manoa will receive a W grade for each course on their record.

After the last day for restricted withdrawals, students are not allowed to withdraw except in unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond their control. Withdrawing after the deadline to withdraw requires petitioning for approval from the student’s college/school dean. Students who receive approval will receive a W grade for each course on their record.

To apply for a complete withdrawal, students should contact the student academic services office of their college/school. Once the student receives approval to withdraw, the student must obtain all signatures as indicated on the forms and submit the completed forms to the UH Manoa Cashier’s Office.

Complete withdrawal does not release the student from his or her financial obligations to the university. The refund schedule for withdrawal is noted in both the “Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid” section of this Catalog and with Office of the Registrar.

When withdrawing, a classified undergraduate student may choose to apply for a leave of absence. Leave of absence forms are available through the student academic services office of the student’s college/school and require approval by the college/school dean. Students who do not obtain a leave of absence must apply for readmission by submitting the UH System Application Form to the Office of Admissions before the specified deadline and must be readmitted before they are able to register.

Automatic Withdrawal

Faculty will verify attendance of students registered in their courses by the end of the first week of each semester. Students who fail to attend class (“no show”) will be dropped from that class and will have their financial aid recalculated accordingly.

Retroactive Withdrawals

Retroactive withdrawals are partial or complete course withdrawals processed after the semester has ended. UH Manoa is obligated to insure the integrity of the transcript as an historical document, which must reflect the actual history of a student’s experience at UH Manoa. Because of this, the student who is requesting a retroactive withdrawal will need to present a convincing case and provide relevant documentation that supports the existence of circumstances beyond their control that prevented them from initiating the withdrawal request in a timely manner. Any request submitted two or more years after the course ended will not be reviewed. Should a retroactive withdrawal be approved, the action will result in the grade being changed to a W. Tuition refunds will not be considered and any academic action applied for that semester will remain on the student’s record.

If you were a financial aid recipient during the semester in which you are seeking a withdrawal, be sure to check with Financial Aid Services to determine whether this will result in a financial obligation or future ineligibility for financial aid.

Credits and Grades

Work accomplished by students is usually recognized in terms of credit hours, grades, grade points, and grade point averages.

Students must complete a minimum of 120 (45 upper division (300+ level)) credits and have a minimum of a C (not C-) average (minimum GPA of 2.0) to earn a baccalaureate degree. Colleges, schools, and degree programs have specific requirements. Students should check with their college/school advisor.

Credit Hours

One (1) credit hour over a standard 15-week semester is equivalent to:

  • One semester hour of direct instruction and two hours of out-of-class work, which may include reading, writing, and course-related assignments. (For example, a three-credit course will require three (3) semester hours of direct instruction (contact hours), and six (6) hours of out-of-class work per week.); or
  • Three semester hours of nontraditional course work, which may include laboratory work, internship, practicum, studio work, independent study, fieldwork, online and hybrid-delivered courses. (For example, a three-credit nontraditional course will require nine (9) semester hours of course work and/or direct instruction per week.)

Courses offered during Summer Sessions, Extension Semesters, and in other accelerated formats are prorated so that classes have the equivalent number of semester hours as if the course were scheduled during a regular 15-week semester.


Student achievement is designated by the following grades: A+, A, A- (excellent), B+, B, B- (above average), C+, C, (average), C-, D+, D, D- (minimal passing), F (failure), CR (credit), NC (no credit), I (incomplete), and L (audit). A grade of I is given to a student who has not completed a small but important part of a semester’s work if the instructor believes that the incomplete was caused by conditions beyond the student’s control. Each student receiving a grade of I should consult his or her instructor promptly to determine the steps to be taken and the deadline to complete the course work for changing the grade of I to a final grade. The designated November and April deadlines (see the “Calendar”) refer to the dates instructors must report adjusted grades. Student deadlines for completing their course work must be adjusted accordingly.

An instructor recording a grade of I on the final grade sheet will also record the grade that will replace the I if the work is not made up by the deadline; that grade is computed on the basis of what grades or other evidence the instructor does have, averaged together with Fs or zeros for all incomplete work (including the final examination, if it has not been taken). If the work is completed prior to the deadline, the instructor will report a change of grade, taking the completed work into consideration. If the instructor does not submit a grade to replace the incomplete, the grade of I will be replaced by an F or an NC (as appropriate) as of the April or November deadline. All grades of I must be cleared by a student’s college prior to graduation.

Credit/No Credit Option

The credit/no credit option encourages students to broaden their education by venturing into subjects outside their fields of specialization without risking a relatively low grade. The CR designation denotes C (not C-) caliber work or better. However, students should be aware that some colleges and many graduate and professional schools evaluate CR as C and NC as F. The same is true of some employers and scholarship awarding agencies.

Certain courses may be designated as mandatory CR/NC. In addition to any such mandatory CR/NC courses, no more than 40 credit hours of CR may be counted toward the degree. Neither CR nor NC is computed in the grade point average. The CR/NC option must be exercised during the registration period. The CR/NC option is limited to elective courses; this option is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill a UH Mânoa undergraduate general education, college/school, or department nonelective requirement, with the exception of those courses offered for mandatory CR/NC.

Grade Points

Grade points for each credit hour received in a course will be computed as follows:

A+ = 4.0
B+ = 3.3
C+ = 2.3
D+ = 1.3
F – 0.0
A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = 2.0
D = 1.0

A- = 3.7
B- = 2.7
C- = 1.7
D- = 0.7

Students entering as undergraduates are not given grade points for work done outside UH Manoa.

Grade Point Averages

Grade point averages (GPA) are determined by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of credit hours for which a student has received letter grades (excluding I, NC, CR, W, or L).

The semester GPA is calculated on any one semester’s credits and grade points. The cumulative GPA is calculated on all such work taken at UH Manoa.

“Repeatable” Courses

Some courses are designated “repeatable” in the Catalog and can be taken for credit a limited number of times, as indicated by the course description.

Students may take “repeatable” courses as many times as allowed by the Catalog description. For these courses, all grades are permanently recorded on the transcript and impact the GPA. Students can count up to the designated limit of credits toward degree requirements.

When students take “repeatable” courses beyond the designated limit, grades continue to be recorded on the transcript, but those grades do not impact the GPA and the credits are not counted toward degree requirements.

All courses that are not designated “repeatable” can only be taken for credit once. This means that only one set of credits (i.e., 1 credit for a 1-credit course; 3 credits for a 3-credit course, etc.) can count toward degree requirements, even if you repeat the course.

UH Manoa will not provide financial aid for a course that is not listed as repeatable in the course description or if a student repeated the course more than the number of times listed in the course description. Financial aid recipients who are repeating courses should see the Financial Aid Services Office with any questions.

Repeating Failed Courses

Students who receive an F or NC earn no credits. Students may repeat any course in which they received an F or NC for that semester. For courses taken as a repeat, the last grade received for the course shall be included in the student’s cumulative GPA. The grade from the previous attempt shall be excluded from the GPA. Grades for each attempt are permanently recorded on the transcript.

Repeating Courses with Grades of C-, D+, D, or D-

Students who receive grades of C-, D+, D, or D- earn the credits for that course. Students may repeat any course in which they received a grade of C-, D+, D, or D-. For courses taken as a repeat, the last grade received for the course shall be included in the student’s cumulative GPA for that semester. The grade from the previous attempt shall be excluded from the GPA. Grades for each attempt are permanently recorded on the transcript. Only one set of credits (i.e., 1 credit for a 1-credit course; 3 credits for a 3-credit course, etc.) can count toward degree requirements. Students should check with their academic advisor on repeating courses that they have already received a minimal passing grade.

For students who receive financial aid repeating courses in which they received a grade of C-, D+, D, or D-, their enrollment status may not include the repeat course and may affect the amount of aid received. Students should check with the Financial Aid Services Office on repeating courses that they have already received a minimal passing grade in regards to their eligibility for financial aid.

Repeating Courses with Grades of C or Higher

Students who have already received a grade of C or higher for a course that is not designated as “repeatable” may repeat it only with the permission of the instructor or of the department offering the course. Grades for each attempt are permanently recorded in the transcript, but only the first grade (not the repeat) is included in the GPA. Only one set of credits (i.e., 1 credit for a 1-credit course; 3 credits for a 3-credit course, etc.) can count toward degree requirements.

For students on financial aid, repeating courses in which they received a passing grade, their enrollment status will not include the repeat course and may affect the amount of aid received.

Duplicate Credits

Students can earn only one set of credits (i.e., 1 credit for a 1-credit course, 3 credits for a 3-credit course, etc.) for courses that are equivalent or comparable in content. Examples include:

  • Cross-listed courses (e.g., BIOL 402 and MBBE 402)
  • Transfer equivalencies (e.g., ZOOL 141 and PHYL 141, ENG 255 and ENG 271)
  • Different levels of the same material (e.g., CHEM 151 and CHEM 161)
  • Equivalent credits earned through exams, such as AP, IB, CLEP, etc.


“Backtracking” refers to taking either a prerequisite course or the lower level course in a tracked sequence concurrently with or after a more advanced course. Examples include:

  • Completing Korean 211 and then taking Korean 102, its prerequisite
  • Completing Japanese 202 and then taking Japanese 101, a lower level
  • Taking Math 432 and then taking Math 431, a two-semester sequence that must be taken in order

If students choose to backtrack, credit is not awarded for the lower-level/prerequisite course, and although the grade is recorded in the transcript, it does not impact the GPA. In some cases, students may backtrack with the express permission of the student’s college/school academic services office.

Excess Credit Policy

A student who by the end of any semester has earned 24 credit hours beyond those required for graduation and has fulfilled all specific program and UH requirements may be graduated by action of the student’s college/school.


Grades are available through the MyUH Services one week after the final examination period each semester. Grades for courses taken through Outreach College do not follow this schedule.


Course Examinations

Final examinations are required in all undergraduate courses (except writing courses, directed reading, creative arts, research, seminars, internships, and field experiences) and must be taken during the scheduled examination period. No examinations (other than laboratory tests and short quizzes) are allowed during the two calendar weeks before the last day of instruction. Take-home final exams may be distributed at any time but may not be required to be turned in before finals. The schedule of final examinations is available at

Language Courses

Students who plan to continue the study of a language begun elsewhere must take a placement test to determine the course in which they should enroll.

For specific regulations governing courses that native or bilingual speakers may take for credit, students should consult the department chairs of European languages, East Asian languages, Hawaiian language, or Indo-Pacific languages.

Advanced Placement Examination

The Advanced Placement examinations are administered in high schools by the Educational Testing Service for the College Entrance Examination Board for students who have completed specific college-level courses in high school. Students should consult the Office of Admissions for the most current UH Manoa credit granting policy.

Credit by Examination

Classified students who wish to earn credit by examination for basic courses should check with the department offering the course. They must present evidence that they have a mastery of the content of the courses (but have not received college credit); must apply, with department approval, to the dean’s office by the specified deadline; and must pay the current fee. Applications are available in the college/school student academic services office. A comprehensive examination designed to serve as the scholastic equivalent of the course is given to the student. Courses passed by examination do not carry grades or grade points.

Recognition of International Baccalaureate

UH Manoa recognizes the international baccalaureate for course credit. Students should submit higher-level examination scores to the Office of Admissions. Course credit is granted for acceptable scores. Contact the Office of Admissions for more information.

Academic Programs

Undergraduate Certificate Programs

UH Manoa offers a number of undergraduate certificate programs, some of which are interdisciplinary. Certificates require a minimum of 15 credit hours of specified courses and a 2.5 GPA in those courses.

Undergraduate certificate programs are listed in the “Degrees, Minors, and Certificates” section.

Bachelor’s Degree


Institutional learning objectives include both academic and co-curricular learning and are listed. The baccalaureate academic program provides the student with a coherent undergraduate education that includes a comprehensive set of integrated learning opportunities. There are five basic components (listed below). Students can see the five components and requirements on bachelor degree program sheets at


There are five basic components to baccalaureate degree programs: (a) the General Education Core requirements (i.e., Foundations and Diversification); (b) the General Education graduation requirements (i.e., Hawaiian/Second Language, Focus, and credit requirements); (c) degree requirements; (d) individual college/school requirements; and (e) an academic specialization comprising a major; as well as electives that complement the other requirements.

General Education Requirements. The General Education requirements are based on the conviction that an educated person has access to a shared body of knowledge; a comprehension of the major divisions of learning; and an understanding of the commonality in our ways of thinking, of experiencing self, and of acquiring new knowledge and skills. The common body of knowledge focuses broadly on heritage; values; political, economic, and social life; and a relationship with nature. Its study requires critical reading and listening, careful judgment, and clear exposition. The common thread in general education is the interconnectedness of human knowledge. See the “Undergraduate General Education Requirements” section for more information.

Graduation Requirements. See the “Focus” and “Hawaiian or Second Language” parts of the “Undergraduate General Education Requirements” section.

Degree Requirements. Some programs have degree-specific requirements, such as course requirements that distinguish a Bachelor of Arts from a Bachelor of Science.

College or School Requirements. Colleges/schools may specify which General Education courses should be taken to meet their requirements. They may also have additional requirements. Students should refer to specific college/school sections for more information.

Major or Academic Specialization Requirements. The major consists of a specific number of credit hours and required courses in a particular field or discipline and related courses in other subjects that are associated with and contribute to that discipline. Students must satisfy the requirements for the selected major and, if applicable, the minor or concentration selected. Detailed information can be found in the appropriate major or academic specialization sections. Students may also consult the bachelor degree program sheets at

Minor Requirements. Some departments offer a minor, which is a set of courses that relate to an approved baccalaureate degree. A minor course of study consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours of non-introductory work (i.e., upper division courses and 200-level courses that have a college-level prerequisite) that is completed with a grade of C (not C-) or better. Minors are listed in the “Degrees, Minors, and Certificates” section.

Multiple Undergraduate Majors/Degrees

Students may pursue simultaneous multiple undergraduate majors or degrees in one or more colleges/schools at UH Manoa. Approval must be granted by all of the colleges/schools involved. Students requesting approval should submit an academic plan and/or written justification.

Multiple undergraduate major and degree requirements are subject to the following:

  1. Students pursuing multiple majors or degrees must complete all five components listed above for each school or college involved.
  2. Shared General Education Core requirements, General Education graduation requirements, degree requirements, and college requirements may count towards multiple majors/degrees.
  3.  The same course(s) may not be used to satisfy major requirements of multiple programs unless the same specific course is a shared requirement.
  4. Students must complete at least 15 credits of each of the multiple majors and degrees at UH Manoa.
  5. The decision to admit students into multiple undergraduate major or degree programs is at the discretion of the colleges/schools involved.

For additional information and to request approval to pursue multiple majors or degrees students should consult their academic advisor.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Applicants for a second bachelor’s degree must meet admission and graduation requirements of UH Manoa, the college/school and the academic specialization. Students seeking their first bachelor’s degree have priority for admission and registration. Admitted students should confer with their academic advisors about graduation requirements.


Graduation Requirements and Policies

Progress Toward the Bachelor’s Degree

Students are expected to complete their academic work and apply for a degree in a timely manner (see “Excess Credit Policy”). The department or program in which the student is pursuing a degree may decide that certain courses required for the major that were taken in the past must be retaken. Courses that are declared outdated for the major will still count toward the General Education Core if they meet core requirements. Students should consult with their academic advisor in their major field of study for details.

Residency Requirements

Students must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in residence (i.e., taking credit courses or their equivalent by examination) at UH Manoa. However, meeting the residency requirements does not necessarily mean that degree requirements have been met; the latter are determined by individual colleges/schools.

A degree candidate must be registered and in attendance during the semester (or summer session) he or she completes the requirements for his or her degree, unless permission has been given for graduation in absentia by the appropriate college/school dean.

Application for Degree

An application for graduation must be obtained at the student academic services office of the appropriate college/school. This must be done by the deadlines specified in the “Calendar.”

Academic Honors

Dean’s List

Undergraduate students are awarded the Dean’s List distinction if they: (1) earn a semester grade point average of 3.5 or higher based on 12 credits or more taken for a grade, and (2) do not receive grades of W, I, F, or NC for that semester. The grades used for calculation of grade point average will be those earned by a date determined by the Office of the Registrar. Colleges/schools may establish independent criteria for the award of Dean’s List distinction with the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

Graduating with Honors

Honors degrees are granted only to participants in the UH Manoa Honors Program.

Graduating with Distinction

Graduating seniors who have completed 30 or more credit hours of work at UH Manoa with the following cumulative GPA are eligible for graduation with distinction as noted:

3.5 to 3.74 cum laude
3.75 to 3.9 magna cum laude
over 3.9 summa cum laude

Graduation with distinction is subject to the following stipulations:

  1.  The 30 or more credit hours from UH Mânoa must come from courses carrying grade points (this excludes CR/NC);
  2. The cumulative GPA for graduating with distinction is calculated on the total college work (which encompasses academic work at UH Mânoa and all other colleges and universities, if any). This academic work includes both transferrable and nontransferrable credits carrying grade points but excludes CR/NC or other non-letter grade options such as pass/fail; and
  3.  Candidates for second degrees are not eligible.

The appropriate designations will be recorded on the diploma and transcripts.

Honor Societies

Alpha Kappa Delta, International Sociology Honor Society
Alpha Omega Alpha, National Honor Society in Medicine
Beta Alpha Psi, National Accounting Honor Society
Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honor Society
Beta Phi Mu, International Library Science Honor Society
Chi Epsilon, National Civil Engineering Honor Society
Delta Omega, National Honor Society for Public Health
Delta Phi Alpha, National German Honor Society
Eta Kappa Nu, National Electrical Engineering Honor Society
Eta Sigma Delta, International Hospitality Management Honor Society
Gamma Sigma Delta, National Agriculture and Human Resources Honor Society
Gold Humanism Honor Society, Medical Honor Society
Golden Key International Honour Society, International Undergraduate Honor Society
Japanese National Honor Society
Kappa Tau Alpha, National Journalism Honor Society
Lambda Pi Eta, National Honor Society for Communication
Mortar Board, Senior Honor Society
National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Sophomore Honor Society
Omicron Delta Epsilon, International Honor Society in Economics
Phi Alpha Theta, National Honor Society in History
Phi Beta Kappa, National Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society
Phi Upsilon Omicron, National Home Economics Honor Society
Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society
Pi Gamma Mu, International Honor Society in Social Sciences
Pi Lambda Theta, National Education Honor Society
Pi Sigma Alpha, National Political Science Honor Society
Pi Tau Sigma, National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
Psi Chi, International Honor Society in Psychology
Regents and Presidential Scholars
Sigma Delta Pi, National Spanish Honor Society
Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society in Nursing
Tau Sigma Delta, National Honor Society in Architecture and Allied Arts

For further information on these honor societies, contact the appropriate academic unit.


Satisfactory Academic Progress Toward a Degree, Minimum UH Manoa Academic Standard, and Good Academic Standing

Once a student has completed two regular semesters at UH Manoa (i.e., fall and spring), he/she shall make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree by remaining in Good Academic Standing by maintaining a UH Manoa cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.

Academic Warning, Probation, Suspension, and Dismissal

Academic Actions are designed to help students gauge their overall progress to degree, take prompt corrective action when needed, and achieve timely graduation. The student’s college/school advising office provides intervention and support as needed to help students achieve academic success.

Students seeking exemption for cause from regulations and requirements contained in this Catalog should consult the dean of student academic services of their college/school. UH Manoa reserves the right to withhold the degree or to request the withdrawal of a student for cause.

Some colleges/schools have additional requirements to remain in Good Academic Standing; refer to the individual school/college section for further information.


Students may be given an academic warning at the end of their first semester at UH Manoa if their cumulative GPA for that semester is less than 2.0. Academic warning does not impact students’ good academic standing but it does notify students that they are academically at risk for Probation the following semester.


Students may be placed on academic probation at the end of any semester in which their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 or when they fail to maintain the minimum academic requirements of their college, school, or program. Students on probation may register for classes at UH Manoa, but must achieve a semester GPA of at least 2.0 each semester to be allowed further registration. Failure to meet these conditions may result in suspension or dismissal.

Unless an extension has been granted by the college/school’s student academic services dean, students may be put on probation any time after their first semester.

Regulations governing academic probation will be applied at the end of each semester (fall or spring).


Students may be suspended when they fail to meet the terms of probation.

Once suspended, a student is not eligible to register for courses at UH Manoa or Outreach College for one full semester (fall or spring), a semester that is called the “suspension wait period.” The purpose of the suspension wait period is to give students time to identify and address factors that are impeding academic success. The goal is for students to return from suspension ready and able to succeed academically.

A suspended student who is currently registered in an Outreach College summer course may complete the course, but completion of the course will not change the suspension action.

Regulations governing academic suspension are applied at the end of each semester (fall or spring).

Applications for Return from Suspension

Students on suspension will be readmitted to UH Manoa if they apply to the Office of Admissions for the fall semester by the initial deadline of January 5 or final deadline of March 1, and for the spring semester by the initial deadline of September 1 or final deadline of October 1.

Students who take no courses after being suspended for the required one semester are eligible to be readmitted into the college/school from which they were suspended, provided they submit an application form by the official deadline. Readmission is not guaranteed if the student stays out beyond the required period.

Suspended students who attend another institution will be considered “transfer students” when reapplying to UH Manoa, and must meet all transfer requirements. They will have their work evaluated by the college/school in order to determine eligibility for readmission.

Students returning from suspension are readmitted on probation and must meet the terms and conditions of probation as specified above. Failure to do so will result in dismissal.


Students who have been suspended and who subsequently fail to maintain the minimum academic requirements of UH Manoa or their college, school, or program or fail to meet the terms of probation may be dismissed. Such students will be readmitted only in unusual circumstances.

Once dismissed, a student is not eligible for readmission to UH Manoa or Outreach College for a minimum of one academic year (fall and spring semester).

A dismissed student who is currently registered in an Outreach College Summer Session course may complete the course, but completion of the course will not change the dismissal.

Regulations governing academic dismissal are applied at the end of each semester (fall or spring).

The following conditions apply to students who have been dismissed one or more years:

  1. To apply for readmission as a classified or unclassified student at UH Manoa, the student should do so on the admissions application form, following established procedures and deadlines. The student must meet the standard admission criteria applicable to all students. If accepted, the student is readmitted on academic probation and must meet established terms of probation.
  2. To enroll in Outreach College, the student is eligible if he or she has attended any UH System campus or other regionally accredited college or university subsequent to the dismissal and earned a cumulative post-dismissal GPA of 2.0 or better for a minimum of 12 earned credits. Transcripts will be required to establish eligibility.
  3. To enroll in Outreach College, the student who has not earned a cumulative post-dismissal GPA of 2.0 or better for a minimum of 12 earned credits at another UH System campus or other regionally accredited college or university subsequent to dismissal may petition the dean of Outreach College for special enrollment consideration.

Other Provisions

Upon finding that a student is suffering from a physical or mental condition detrimental to the student or to UH Manoa, the vice chancellor for students will, on medical advice, recommend proper action to the appropriate college/school’s student academic services dean. The dean may request that the student be withdrawn officially, without prejudice or academic penalty. Readmission is contingent upon review and recommendation by the college/school’s student academic services dean and the vice chancellor for students.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence allows students to resume studies without applying for readmission and indicates a continuing relationship with UH Manoa.

Classified undergraduate students may apply at any time, including after the add/drop deadline, for a leave of absence for a specified duration of not more than two semesters. Additional semesters of leave may be granted under extenuating circumstances.

Applications for a leave of absence are available in the student academic services office at the student’s college/school. The date of return from leave must be specified at the time of application. Students should be aware that taking a leave of absence may affect their residency or visa status and eligibility for programs such as financial aid, intercollegiate athletics, etc.

Students who take a leave of absence will continue to be subject to the same core, major, and graduation requirements as were in effect before taking leave. Students returning from a leave return to the same academic standing and with the same academic actions as were in effect the semester before taking leave.

While on leave, students may not be enrolled in another institution at any time; enrollment in another institution automatically invalidates the leave.

Students who do not re-enroll to UH Manoa at the end of their leave of absence will be considered to have withdrawn without notice. They will be required to apply for readmission to UH Manoa and will be readmitted to the same academic standing and with the same academic actions as were in effect the semester before taking leave. Note, however, that they will be subject to the newer core, major, and graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Manoa Institutional Learning Objectives for Undergraduate Students

Institutional Learning Objectives (ILOs) encompass the UH Manoa undergraduate experience as a whole—academic and co-curricular. It is through the combined efforts of faculty, students, staff, and administrators that students achieve the ILOs.

  1. Know—Breadth and Depth of Knowledge
    Students develop their understanding of the world with emphasis on Hawai’i, Asia, and the Pacific by integrating
    a. General education knowledge (arts and humanities, biological sciences, languages, physical sciences, social sciences, technology);
    b. Specialized study in an academic field; and
    c. Understanding of Hawaiian culture and history.
  2. Do—Intellectual and Practical Skills
    Students improve their abilities to
    d. Think critically and creatively;
    e. Conduct research; and
    f. Communicate and report.
  3. Value—Personal and Social Responsibility
    Students demonstrate excellence, integrity, and engagement through
    g. Continuous learning and personal growth;
    h. Respect for people and cultures, in particular Hawaiian culture;
    i. Stewardship of the natural environment; and
    j. Civic participation in their communities.