August is right around the corner, which means we have a few more weeks of summer before our fall semester begins!
As we slowly prepare for our virtual or hybrid experience, it is good to have some apps on our devices prepared for all of our needs. No matter what you need help with, there’s probably an app for it!
Here are some student apps that might help you out:
- Facebook Marketplace
- Another reselling app that allows you to buy and sell more than clothes. There are rental listings for homes, people selling their cars, even new or used furniture that just needs a new home. This app is a great way to find things you need for an affordable price as you are transitioning to live in Hawaii.
- Everyone goes in Target runs. With the Target app, you are able to scan items for coupons or deals to save some cash during your trip. You can save lots of money while buying snacks, cleaning supplies, or the random items you get during your late night Target run.
- This app is perfect for getting student discounts for some of your favorite stores. All you have to do is sign up with your UH email and verify your account. Once that’s done, you’ll get tons of discounts and deals on different categories such as fashion, beauty, health, lifestyle, and many more.
- This app allows you to send and receive money from your friends and family. It’s a great way to pay someone back after dinner without having to take out any cash. You just have to link your bank account to your Venmo account, and it will take out money from the account that is linked. (Tip: If you think you’re going to use a lot of money, transfer a certain amount to your Venmo account and only use that to send/receive money. That way, you don’t touch the money in your bank account that you might need for other things.)
- If you need help with budgeting and finances, this app will do the job. You can keep track of all of your financial needs in one app. This app allows you to check your credit score, create budgets, and track any bills you need to pay.
- If you want to start investing and you don’t know where to start, this is the app for you. This app makes investing very easy and you are able to learn as you go. Also, if you refer a friend to the app, you’ll receive a free stock!
- Chegg Study
- Chegg Study is a great tool for any help on assignments. You can ask an expert for help, or you can search for textbook solutions to learn the step by step solution. This app is helpful for those in STEM majors or classes, along with Business!
- With Quizlet, you can create your own cards to study. You can also take practice quizzes and play games that will help you study the cards that you created. This app is good for studying terms
- With many of our classes being online, there is a high chance we will be using Zoom to meet with our classmates and professors. This app is a useful communication tool as we can video chat, share our screens, and message each other to keep up to date with our lectures and assignments.
- Some classes may also use Slack or a similar communication tool to update students with information about assignments and classes. You can message people in the group channels or you can individually contact them.
- Streaming Services
- Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and other streaming services are available for us to unwind or take a break. Many of these services have student plans available, or bundles that come with other entertainment options. Your phone provider might have a deal with some of these services as well, so be on the lookout for that!
- Music Services
- This app is super helpful when you’re on campus and you want to get something to eat. Many of the restaurants on campus are on this app, allowing you to order ahead of time so that all you have to do is pick it up. This saves you tons of time because you won’t have to wait in line to order!
- Food Delivery Services
- Bite Squad, Door Dash, and Uber Eats are some options for food delivery services. If you don’t feel like cooking or eating from the dining hall, then order out with one of these apps to have your food delivered to you. It’s helpful on a busy day when you don’t have the time or energy to make your own meal.
- Take the bus to school? Get this app! When you input your bus stop number, it will tell you the ETA of each bus that will come to that stop so you won’t miss your bus. It will also give any updates that might affect your area to avoid any confusion.
- Ride Share Services
- This car rental app allows you to rent a vehicle for a few hours or for the entire day. You pay for the time you will use the vehicle, then you find the nearest vehicle station to you (there is one located in Hale Mahana!), then you can use the car for the time you paid. You use your phone as the keys to your car and there is a card for gas included in the vehicle so you can fill it up for the next person without spending your own money.
UH Manoa Apps
- Manoa Now
- Manoa Now has all things UH Manoa. There are articles from Ka Leo to sports updates, even shuttle information. This app is great guide to UH Manoa and will help you stay updated with the latest information.
- H Rewards
- If you plan on attending any sports events, get this app! This app gives you points for checking in, which you can save up for prizes such as UH gear, Airpods, and many more! It will also give you notifications about Senior nights and if there are special giveaways during specific games.
There are thousands of other apps to choose from, so feel free to try those as well! For more app recommendations, check out these links: