Program: Computer Science (BS), Info & Comp Sci (BA)
Date: Fri Oct 11, 2013 - 5:06:50 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
(a) Students can apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
(b) Students can analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
(c) Students can design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs
(d) Students can function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal
(e) Students have an understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
(f) Students can communicate effectively with a range of audiences
(g) Students can analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society
(h) Students can recognize the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development
(i) Students can use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice.
(j) An ability to use and apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies. [BA IT only]
(k) An ability to identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer-based systems. [BA IT only]
(l) An ability to effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment. [BA IT only]
(m) An understanding of best practices and standards and their application. [BA IT only]
(n) An ability to assist in the creation of an effective project plan. [BA IT only]
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: NA
3) Select one option:
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
Develop assessment strategies for upper division ICS courses.
Identify student perceptions of their ability to meet SLOs in ICS 313. Identify student learning in ICS 390 and determine if learning gaps exist. If students are achieving at lower levels for specific SLOs, identify possibilities for remediation.
ICS 313: A, B, C, D, I
ICS 390: D, E, F, G, H
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
Develop assessment strategies: The assessment committee worked with faculty to develop a survey instrument which measures students’ perception of their ability to meet SLOs in courses. For ICS 313, the faculty surveyed students regarding specific course SLOs. For ICS 390, the faculty used select assessments to identify the percentage of students that met each learning outcome and determine if remediation was necessary.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Three faculty members teaching the courses.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
The student perception of learning outcomes survey was useful, as the faculty were able to determine how students felt about different learning objectives. Therefore, the assessment committee believes that making the link between SLOs and coursework will help to improve student perception.
In ICS 390, the faculty found that students performed well on most of the SLOs. Students struggled the most with SLO F. Therefore, the faculty teaching the course are planning to include more activities and instructional time for this SLO.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
We found that the use of perception data and student achievement data illuminated different areas for improvement. Therefore, we hope to collect data for both in the future to get a holistic understanding of our students’ learning.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.