Program: Marine Biology (PhD)
Date: Thu Oct 10, 2013 - 3:48:36 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
SLO 1 A comprehensive understanding of marine biological systems including the organisms, their habitats and biodiversity. In particular, this program seeks to expose students to organisms, systems, and processes that occur in both offshore (oceanic) and near shore (coast and reef) environments with an emphasis on the important links between these habitats.
SLO 2. Expertise in the quantitative and qualitative methods for field and laboratory research.
SLO 3 A working, in‐depth understanding of research methodologies and developed skills in competitive grant writing and the publication and dissemination of research findings in professional and practical applications.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2012 and September 30, 2013? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
As the Marine Biology graduate program is a new graduate program on campus, we are in the stages of developing our assessment goals and activities. We plan to assign Program and Student Assessment to a committee comprised of Marine Biology Graduate Faculty.