Program: Tropical Plant Pathology (PhD)
Date: Tue Oct 16, 2012 - 12:21:38 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
TPP students communicate effectively.
TPP studentsc are competent and knowledgeable biologists.
TPP students conduct research in plant pathology.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/peps/tppgradhandbook/Graduate_handbook_home.html
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number: 351-355
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
Other: With graduate chair as we edit and refine them
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2011 and September 30, 2012? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period June 1, 2011 to September 30, 2012: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We assessed our SLO on competency and knowledgeable in biology. Is our curriculum current to meet the breadth of knowledge needed by some students and employers? We have evidence that employers are looking for more rounded students with more exposure and skills across pest disciplines rather than a narrow focus on one pathogen in one situation.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
We surveyed and talked with different employers, graduate program chairs in Florida and Nebraska, and recent graduates of our program.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
Other: TPP program faculty
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
A proposal was submitted and funded by the CTAHR to further develop the program to provide students breadth in their training.