Program: Philosophy (MA)
Date: Fri Oct 28, 2011 - 5:12:11 pm
1) Below are your program student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
1. Proficiency in at least one philosophically significant language other than English.
2. Students are able to conduct philosophical research which leads either to a thesis or a significant portfolio of shorter works.
3. Students demonstrate the ability to write and prepare presentations at a high level of proficiency.
*Given recent changes in the MA there is no way to reflect other possible outcomes within the allocated numbers of characters.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: NA
3) Below is the link(s) to your program's curriculum map(s). If we do not have your curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) For the period June 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #5.
For culminating exams and thesis defenses, an appropriately selected faculty committee from the Department, consisting of three (or four) members, makes the determination on the basis of performance during the exam.
7) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Depending on the assessment activity in question, the evidence would be assessed by: course instructors, a faculty committee, an ad hoc faculty group, the department's graduate chair, a faculty advisor, or graduate students themselves.
8) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
9) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
10) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #5:
Summarize the actual results.
We're doing fine, thank you.
11) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
No changes to the MA program are currently planned.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.