Program: East Asian Lang & Lit: Chinese (MA)
Date: Sun Oct 16, 2011 - 2:52:29 pm
1) Below are your program student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
Chinese Literature SLOs: In addition to the BA SLOs, recipients of the M.A. in Chinese literature should be able to: 1. Read with appropriate competency primary Chinese texts of all major periods and in all major linguistic forms (classical Chinese, early and modern Mandarin) and be able to translate them correctly into English. 2. Use dictionaries and other China-related bibliographic reference tools. 3. Have a basic knowledge of the historical development of Chinese literature in all its genres. 4. Develop familiarity with a variety of theoretical and critical approaches, both Chinese and Western, and their application in analyzing and interpreting Chinese texts. 5. Conduct scholarly research in their area of specialization, using primary and secondary materials available in the library.
2010: No changes to last year's SLOs.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
Other: SLOs will be published online soon
3) Below is the link(s) to your program's curriculum map(s). If we do not have your curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) For the period June 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
The Chinese section has taken/is making steps toward taking the following initiatives in relation to assessment:
- We have uploaded on the EALL website all of our classes’ syllabi, almost all of them including SLOs. The initiative will soon be brought to successful completion.
- The Chinese Language/Linguistics faculty continues to work on the curriculum maps for the MA and PhD programs in Chinese Language/ Linguistics.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #5.
7) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
8) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
9) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)