Program: Chinese (BA)
Date: Sun Oct 16, 2011 - 2:51:05 pm
1) Below are your program student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
1. [ORAL] Engage in oral communication in Chinese in various social contexts, in linguistically and culturally appropriate ways.
2. [READING] Read and comprehend texts written in Chinese from a variety of genres and contexts (e.g., newspapers, essay collections, novels).
3. [WRITING] Apply critical thinking and rhetorical skills to produce coherent written works and presentations in both English and Chinese.
4. [RESEARCH] Use a variety of Chinese reference works and sources, including dictionaries and encyclopedias both in book form and on the internet.
5. [RESEARCH] Conduct independent research on topics in Chinese literature and/or linguistics, and effectively communicate the results.
6. [LINGUISTICS] Demonstrate an understanding of phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics through analysis of words, phrases, and clauses from authentic Chinese samples.
7. [LITERATURE & CULTURE] Identify and describe major authors, works, features, forms, and styles of Chinese literature, both premodern and modern.
8. [LITERATURE & CULTURE] Analyze and interpret works of Chinese poetry, prose, and drama, read both in translation and in the original Chinese, using terms appropriate to each genre.
9. [LITERATURE & CULTURE] Situate and evaluate Chinese literature in its social, historical, intellectual, and religious contexts.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www.lll.hawaii.edu/eval/resources5_100200courses.php
3) Below is the link(s) to your program's curriculum map(s). If we do not have your curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) For the period June 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
The Chinese section has taken/is making steps toward taking the following initiatives in relation to assessment:
- We have uploaded on the EALL website all of our classes’ syllabi, almost all of them including SLOs. The initiative will soon be brought to successful completion.
- The Chinese section would like to pursue the idea of establishing capstone courses, in which the assessment data is gathered and analyzed, next year.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #5.
7) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
8) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
9) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)