Program: Biomedical Sciences: Tropical Medicine (PhD)
Date: Tue Oct 11, 2011 - 4:59:29 pm
1) Below are your program student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences (Tropical Medicine)
Demonstrate a knowledge base in the various disciplines of Tropical Medicine.
Demonstrate a mastery of technical and experimental research methodologies.
Demonstrate the ability to plan, execute, interpret, and evaluate experimental studies.
Demonstrate skills required for instruction, assessment and mentoring of undergraduate and MS students.
Demonstrate proficiency in written and verbal communication skills in various teaching formats and in professional presentations.
Demonstrate sufficient mastery and scientific maturity to assess the work of peers in related fields.
Demonstrate skills for instruction, assessment and mentoring of PhD students.
Demonstrate written communication skills as required in various professional duties including manuscripts for publication, grant applications, and course development.
Develop administrative skills to manage a research laboratory, supervise technical and professional staff, and provide leadership as a faculty member.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: https://laulima.hawaii.edu/access/content/user/sandrac/t3mpgradhandbook82211mod6.pdf
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link(s) to your program's curriculum map(s). If we do not have your curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) For the period June 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
The major goal for assessment for this period was the evaluation and revision of the Tropical Medicine Graduate Student Handbook. A revised document was prepared based on the curriculum changes recommended during the previous curriculum review period. This document was circulated among the faculty and senior graduate students and comments and revisions were solicited by the graduate chair. Suggestions from faculty and students were incorporated into a final document which was distributed to all students and faculty. This final document was discussed in a departmental graduate program meeting to which all students and faculty were invited. A copy of the document was uploaded to the departmental website.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #5.
- Student feedback was requested via email.
- Faculty feedback was solicited in curriclum committee and department faculty meetings.
7) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
- Email comments were provided by 3 students.
- Verbal and email feedback was provided by members of the curriculum committee (10 faculty members).
8) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
9) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
10) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #5:
Summarize the actual results.
The result was an extensive revision of the Tropical Medicine Graduate Student handbook available on the following website:
11) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
The revised student handbook will be used for orientation sessions with new students and faculty, progress meetings with current students, and for recruitment of potential applicants to our graduate program.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
In addition to documenting the objectives and requirements of our graduate program, the process of revision of the handbook led to a clearer articulation of expectations for graduate students and implementation of a individualized timeline for each student enrolled in the program.
13) Other important information.
Please note: If the program did not engage in assessment, please explain. If the program created an assessment plan for next year, please give an overview.
During the next year we plan to evaluate satisfaction with the new format for our PhD Comprehensive exam. This will involve a survey of recent graduates who have completed the program since this format has been implemented as well as faculty who have served on their comprehensive examination committees.